The current state of lithium batteries as a promising energy storage system suffers from limited voltages and low capacities and does not meet the growing demands of the future energy storage market. In this regard, a transition from the current phase to next-generation of batteries with higher energy densities, lower cost, and longer cycle life is inevitable. Solid-state batteries (SSBs) are regarded as promising next-generation energy storage devices because of their increased safety and energy density. However, a prospective transition from the conventional to next-generation SBBs includes not only the development and modification of high-performance solid-state electrolyte formulations but also the boundary of the electrolytes with electrodes (so-called "interphase"). An in-depth understanding of the processes at the interface/interphase in SSBs is essential because it provides critical information on the interfacial products, structure, conductivity, and their various effects on cell stability and electronic performance.
The Ph.D. project is designed to develop novel electrolyte formulations to improve the chemical and physical properties of the interphase in SBBs. The developed interphases will be investigated with advanced state-of-the-art in situ Raman and FTIR spectroscopy techniques to acquire a molecular-level understanding of the interface phenomena in SBBS.
Your specific tasks in detail:
- Design, development, and characterization of novel polymer-based solid electrolyte compositions for SSBs
- Operando vibrational spectroscopy (Raman and FTIR) investigation of the Li-metal anode interphases in SBBs: technique development and characterization
- Electrochemical (potentiostatic/galvanostatic cycling, LSV, and EIS ) and analytical characterization of battery cell components
- Analysis of the electrochemical and vibrational spectroscopy data
- Writing papers and presenting the results at conferences
- Excellent university degree (Master) in chemistry or materials science or a comparable field of study
- Excellent knowledge and proven interest in the field of electrochemistry
- Basic knowledge of organic chemistry; preferably in polymer chemistry
- Willingness to learn the relevant topics of advanced vibrational spectroscopy
- Strong interest in working in the interdisciplinary fields of energy storage and operando analysis
- Ability to show initiative and work independently
- Excellent cooperation, communication, and teamwork abilities
- Excellent English proficiency in spoken and written
We work on the very latest issues that impact our society and are offering you the chance to actively help in shaping the change! We offer ideal conditions for you to complete your doctoral degree:
- A lively scientific environment within HI MS and possibilities for cooperation with our partners at RWTH Aachen, Forschungszentrum Jülich, and WWU Münster
- Excellent environment to perform high-quality research and to implement own ideas in the development process
- Excellent scientific and technical infrastructures
- Extensive company health management
- Ideal conditions for balancing work and private life, as well as a family-friendly corporate policy
- International and interdisciplinary working environment
- Targeted services for international employees, e.g., through our International Advisory Service
- 30 days of annual leave and an attractive arrangement for bridging days
- Flexible work (location) arrangements, e.g. remote work
- A structured doctoral degree program for you and your supervisors with a comprehensive further training and networking package
The employment of doctoral researchers is governed by a doctoral contract, which usually has a term of three years. Pay is above average in line with 67% of pay group 13 of the Collective Agreement for the Public Service (TVöD-Bund) and additionally 60 % of a monthly salary as special payment („Christmas bonus“). Further information on doctoral degrees at Forschungszentrum Jülich including our other locations is available at: https://www.fz-juelich.de/gp/Careers_Docs
We welcome applications from people with diverse backgrounds, e.g. in terms of age, gender, disability, sexual orientation / identity, and social, ethnic and religious origin. A diverse and inclusive working environment with equal opportunities in which everyone can realize their potential is important to us.
Ph D Position In The Field Of Technical Electrochemistry (Li Ion Battery Research) , Technical University of Munich, Germany, about 13 hours ago
02.02.2023, Wissenschaftliches Personal The overall goal within this PhD project is to improve and optimize the long-term cycling stability of state-of-the-art LMNO cathodes and corresponding elec...
Ph D Stipend In Artificial Intelligence Based Lifetime Optimization In The Smart Batteries (14 23001), Aalborg University, Denmark, 17 days ago
PhD Stipend in artificial intelligence-based lifetime optimization in the Smart Batteries (14-23001) At the Faculty of Engineering and Science, AAU Energy, a position as PhD stipend is...
Ph D Student Position In Structural Battery Composites, Chalmers University of Technology, Sweden, 4 days ago
Join our research team focused on structural battery composite materials. As a PhD student you will collaborate with experts in materials science, physics, chemistry and computational mechanics. Y...
Ph D Position Super Resolution Visualisation And Control Of Cellular Dynamics, Delft University of Technology, Netherlands, about 3 hours ago
Would you like to contribute to groundbreaking research on establishing microscopy-guided automated real-time control of biological processes, as a PhD candidate? Then this might be the vacancy fo...
Ph D Position Super Resolution Visualisation And Control Of Cellular Dynamics, Delft University of Technology (TU Delft), Netherlands, 22 days ago
PhD Position Super-Resolution Visualisation and Control of Cellular Dynamics PhD Position Super-Resolution Visualisation and Control of Cellular Dynamics Published Deadline Location today 15 Feb D...
Ph D Position In Bioinformatics , University of Southern Denmark, Denmark, 4 days ago
The Institute of Molecular Medicine (IMM) at SDU PhD position in Bioinformatics Institute of Molecular Medicine (IMM) aims to generate new knowledge on the function of the human body and disease m...