The field of micron-scale plasticity is particularly interesting as size-dependent behaviour, intermittency and far-from-equilibrium processes directly show in the resulting mechanical properties. At this length-scale simulation methods such as Discrete Dislocation Dynamics are becoming capable of modeling the evolution of the entire microstructure and, thus, can help in understanding such technologically rather relevant phenomena. One of the open challenges to understand is why and when dislocations show scale-free avalanche behaviour, and whether these events can be predicted. To this end, dislocation simulation tools have to be developed and applied, combined with various methods from the field of data science. The main goal is to provide physical understanding of the novel experimental findings of our international research partners we are in close contact with. As such, the position offers the opportunity to be involved in fruitful international collaborations.
In this exciting job you can expect:
- to model stick slip motion of a single dislocation in high entropy alloys, to explain the development of the fractal-like dislocation shape
- to simulate how acoustic emission signals are being generated during sudden collective dislocation avalanches
- to provide statistical analysis of simulated discrete dislocation structures and to transform them into AI- and ML-ready information
- to contribute to the development and improvement of discrete dislocation dynamics simulation software
- to publish and present research results in relevant journals and at international conferences
- A completed university degree (Master or equivalent) with excellent grades in the field of mechanical engineering, material science, physics, computational science or similar, preferably with a specialization in the field of theory and/or simulation
- Practical experience in at least one programming language (preferably C++ and/or Python) and experience with the use of Unix/Linux operating systems
- Experience in scientific code development involving numerical analysis methods, parallel computing and optimization
- Structured and analytical thinking as well as a systematic, careful, independent, and reliable working method
- Interest in working closely with experimentalists
- Strong cooperation and communication skills and the ability to work as part of a team
- Excellent written and spoken English skills
We work on the very latest issues that impact our society and are offering you the chance to actively help in shaping the change! We offer ideal conditions for you to complete your doctoral degree:
- The opportunity to conduct exciting research in an international and multidisciplinary environment with outstanding infrastructure
- A creative work environment at a leading research facility, located on an attractive research campus at the TZA Aachen https://tza-aachen.de and the Forschungszentrum Jülich
- The opportunity to gain your reputation in a dynamic and highly active research field
- Further development of your personal strengths, e.g. through an extensive range of training courses; a structured program of continuing education and networking opportunities specifically for doctoral researchers via JuDocS, the Jülich Center for Doctoral Researchers and Supervisors: https://www.fz-juelich.de/en/judocs
- The opportunity to attend national and international conferences
- Flexible working hours and various opportunities to reconcile work and private life, as well as 30 days of annual leave
- Targeted services for international employees, e.g. through our International Advisory Service
The position is for a fixed term of 3 years. Pay in line with 75 % of pay group 13 of the Collective Agreement for the Public Service (TVöD-Bund). Further information on doctoral degrees at Forschungszentrum Jülich including our other locations is available at: https://www.fz-juelich.de/gp/Careers_Docs. Further information on doctoral degrees at Forschungszentrum Jülich including our other locations is available at: https://www.fz-juelich.de/gp/Careers_Docs
Place of employment: Aachen
We welcome applications from people with diverse backgrounds, e.g. in terms of age, gender, disability, sexual orientation / identity, and social, ethnic and religious origin. A diverse and inclusive working environment with equal opportunities in which everyone can realize their potential is important to us.
Ph D Position Learning Embeddings For Earth Observation Applications With Supercomputing, Helmholtz, Germany, about 1 hour ago
Your Job: The quality and quantity of Earth Observation (EO) data is increasing at a high rate. However its volume makes handing the data challenging, especially as the bandwidths between data cen...
Ph D Position Integrating Large Scale Energy System Models Into High Performance Computers, Helmholtz, Germany, about 1 hour ago
Your Job: Large energy system models optimize the size, allocation and operation of components based on simplified assumptions and finite time steps. Currently, their maximum size and level of det...
Ph D Student (F/M/D) Life Sciences Or Chemistry, Leibniz, Germany, about 17 hours ago
The DWI – Leibniz-Institute for Interactive Materials is a federal and state funded research institute of the Leibniz Association based on the Melaten Campus of RWTH Aachen University. Internation...
Ph D Candidate (M/F/D) Natural Science, Leibniz, Germany, 5 days ago
The Research Center Borstel (RCB) is an internationally operating Lung Center within the Leibniz Association, financed by the Federal Government and the State of Schleswig-Holstein. Our central ta...
Ph D Position Co2well: Coupled Well Reservoir Model For Co2 And H2 Storage, Delft University of Technology, Netherlands, about 21 hours ago
Subsurface reservoirs are used for various applications driving the energy transition towards zero-carbon energy. Making optimal use of subsurface reservoirs is a great challenge for society these...
Ph D Student In Electronic Systems, Luleå University of Technology, Sweden, 15 days ago
6 Sep 2023 Job Information Organisation/Company Luleå University of Technology Research Field Engineering » Electrical engineering Researcher Profile Recognised Researcher (R2) Country Sweden Appl...