The University of Cologne is one of the largest and most research-intensive universities in Germany, offering a wide range of subjects. With its six faculties and its interfaculty centres, it offers a broad spectrum of scientific disciplines and internationally outstanding profile areas, supported by the administration with its services.
The collaborative research center “Control and dynamics of quantum materials” (CRC 1238) brings together a team of scientists from experimental and theoretical physics. Our vision is to discover, understand, and control novel collective phenomena and new functionalities in quantum materials arising from the interplay of spin-orbit-coupling, correlations, and topology. More information can be found here: http://crc1238.uni-koeln.de/ .
The open PhD/Post-doc position (Prof. Michely group) is concerned with the spin-polarized STM investigations of ultrathin magnetic films and 2D materials (https://ph2.uni-koeln.de/arbeitsgruppen/michely ).
- Grow new 2D materials and develop 2D material-ferromagnet hybrids by in situ molecular beam epitaxy in ultrahigh vacuum
- Investigate these materials with scanning tunneling microscopy and spectroscopy as well as their spin-polarized variants at ultralow temperatures and with the option to apply an external magnetic field
- Uncover phase transitions, electronic correlations and magnetic spin structure in these 2D materials and control them through external parameters
- Excellent academic record
- A master‘s degree in physics or a related discipline
- The candidate must attest previous experience with at least three of the following topics:
- surface science; 2D materials; UHV methods; UHV-STM; magnetism; surface magnetism; STS
- Good team working, English language skills, and presentation skills are essencial, as well as high-motivation to collaborate within an interdisciplinary research framework
WE OFFER YOU
- working in successful and dedicated team on an exciting research project; training on the job, excellent network of scientific partners
- a diverse and fair working environment
- support in reconciling work and family life
- flexible working time modelsE
- extensive advanced training opportunities
- occupational health management offers
- local transport ticket at a discount for UoC employees
The position is available from 01.01.2022 on a part-time basis with 19,92 working hours ( 50% basis in the 1st year, and 75% afterwards). It is limited for three years. If the applicant meets the relevant wage requirements and personal qualifications, the salary is based on remuneration group 13 TV-L of the pay scale for the German public sector.
The University of Cologne is committed to equal opportunities and diversity. Women are especially encouraged to apply and will be considered preferentially in accordance with the Equal Opportunities Act of North Rhine-Westphalia (Landesgleichstellungsgesetz – LGG NRW). We also expressly welcome applications from people with disabilities / special needs or of equal status.
Please send your application with proof of the sought qualifications by email (in one pdf-file) with the reference number Wiss2111-04 to email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org . The application deadline is 10.12.2021.
Two Ph D Positions In Magnetic Resonance Imaging Methodology , Technical University of Munich, Germany, about 23 hours ago
11.01.2022, Wissenschaftliches Personal The Department of Diagnostic and Interventional Radiology at the Technical University of Munich (TUM) invites applications for two PhD positions in methodol...
Ph. D. Student (M/F/D), Leibniz, Germany, about 1 hour ago
The INM – Leibniz Institute for New Materials in Saarbrücken, Germany, is an internationally leading center for materials research, a scientific partner to national and international research inst...
Ph D Position In Functional Macroecology Of Island Birds (M/F/D) , Technical University of Munich, Germany, about 24 hours ago
20.01.2022, Wissenschaftliches Personal In the scope of the Research Unit “DynaCom - Spatial community ecology in highly dynamic landscapes: from island biogeography to metaecosystems” funded by t...
Master’s Thesis Position: Development Of Control System Software For A Very Low Field Mri System, Aalto University, Findland, about 23 hours ago
Master’s Thesis Position: Development of control system software for a very low field MRI system Department of Electrical Engineering and Automation, Electromagnetics in health technologies group,...
Ph D Position (M/F/D), Leibniz, Germany, about 1 hour ago
The Heinrich Pette Institute – Leibniz-Institute for Experimental Virology (HPI), is committed to research on the biology of different human viruses as well as the pathogenesis of viral diseases. ...
Ph D Position (All Genders Welcome) (Department Biodiversity, Macroecology And Biogeography) (Id 15994), Georg August University of Göttingen, Germany, about 16 hours ago
Einrichtung: Department Biodiversity, Macroecology and Biogeography (ID 15994) Ansprechpartner: Herr Prof. Kreft Besetzungsdatum: 01.04.2022 Veröffentlichungsdatum: 13.01.2022 At the University of...