Against the background of global challenges such as climate change and the growing world population, Forschungszentrum Jülich is conducting research with a view to optimizing yields, improving soil and water conservation, and minimizing the impact of climate change. This requires a detailed understanding of the flow and transport processes in soils, as well as the dynamic development of root growth.
One of several established measurement methods for such applications in geophysics is georadar. Georadar operates in the frequency range from about 200 to 2000 MHz. The coupling into the ground is done with antennas and is therefore non-invasive. In this way, characteristic soil properties such as electrical and dielectric conductivity can be determined.
In cooperation with the Institute of Agrosphere (IBG-3), a novel measurement system with a large number of antennas is being developed, which enables high-resolution three-dimensional tomography of undisturbed soil columns.
Specific tasks are:
- Modeling of relevant components of the geo-radar measurement system using an electromagnetic 3D simulator
- Validation of simulation results and eventually correction of the simulation model by comparison with real world measurement data
- Optimization of the simulation approach, the measurement strategy and eventually the measurement setups in order to maximize the spatial resolution while minimizing the computational complexity
- Mitigation of external and self-induced disturbances by digital signal processing methods and/or modification of the measurement setup
- Investigation of advanced methods considering antenna geometry and placement, including the option to use antenna arrays
• MSc degree (or equivalent) in electrical engineering or physics
• Knowledge of programming and data processing
• Interest in computer-based simulation and modelling
• Experience in MATLAB/Python is desirable
• Willingness to teamwork
• Interest in experimental laboratory and fieldwork
Please apply for the position even if you do not have all the listed skills and knowledge.
We work on the very latest issues that impact our society and are offering you the chance to actively help in shaping the change! We offer ideal conditions for you to complete your doctoral degree:
- A highly motivated working group as well as an international and interdisciplinary working environment in one of the largest research institutions in Europe
- Further development of your own personal skills in combination with a socially balanced working environment
- Collaboration in an exciting research project with a top-class partner organization
- Excellent scientific and technical infrastructure
- Opportunity to participate in (international) conferences and project meetings
- Continuous professional supervision
- Personal support during the orientation phase
- A structured doctoral program for you and your supervisors in a comprehensive training and networking program via the doctoral platform JuDocs https://www.fz-juelich.de/judocs
- A large research campus in the countryside, which offers excellent opportunities for networking with colleagues and for sporting activities in addition to work.
- Targeted services for international employees, e.g. through our International Advisory Service
The position is initially for a fixed term of 3 years. Pay in line with 70% of pay group 13 of the Collective Agreement for the Public Service (TVöD-Bund) and additionally 60 % of a monthly salary as special payment („Christmas bonus“). Further information on doctoral degrees at Forschungszentrum Jülich including our other locations is available at: www.fz-juelich.de/gp/Careers_Docs
Forschungszentrum Jülich promotes equal opportunities and diversity in its employment relations.
We also welcome applications from disabled persons.
Ph D Position – Robust Energy Supply Under International Crises, Helmholtz, Germany, about 2 hours ago
Your Job: Current political events highlight the great importance of a robust and affordable energy supply. The transformation towards a greenhouse gas-neutral energy system can reduce dependence ...
Ph D Position – Disruptive Events In The Integrated Energy System And Their Impact On Security Of Supply, Helmholtz, Germany, about 2 hours ago
Your Job: Current political events highlight the great importance of a robust and affordable energy supply. This dissertation strengthens the model-based system analysis capability of the IEK-3. T...
Ph D Position Interphases In Lithium Batteries, Helmholtz, Germany, about 2 hours ago
Your Job: The current state of lithium batteries as a promising energy storage system suffers from limited voltages and low capacities and does not meet the growing demands of the future energy st...
Ph D Anterra Project: Integrated Filtering Antenna Array Solutions For Sat Com, Eindhoven University of Technology (TU/e), Netherlands, 25 days ago
The European Doctoral Network 'ANTERRA' offers 15 fully funded industrial PhD student positions in the area of antennas, integrated circuits and signal processing, starting in the autumn of 2022. ...
Ph D Position On Clay Addition As An Emission Reduction Measure In Peat Soils (1.0 Fte) , Utrecht University, Netherlands, about 4 hours ago
Print this page PhD position on clay addition as an emission reduction measure in peat soils (1.0 FTE) PhD position on clay addition as an emission reduction measure in peat soils (1.0 FTE) Job de...
Ph D Anterra Project: Integrated Filtering Antenna Array Solutions For Sat Com, Eindhoven University of Technology (TU/e), Netherlands, 27 days ago
PhD ANTERRA project: Integrated filtering antenna array solutions for SatCom PhD ANTERRA project: Integrated filtering antenna array solutions for SatCom Published Deadline Location today 29 Dec E...