Mitochondria are organelles involved in multiple cell processes, ranging from energy production (in the form of ATP), to apoptosis and cell signalling. Defects in mitochondrial function result in severe diseases, primarily affecting muscles and brain. The Vercellino group is interested in understanding the assembly mechanism and function of fundamental mitochondrial membrane protein complexes using the locally available state-of-the-art cryo-EM technology as a tool. Please find more about our newly founded group here: https://www.fz-juelich.de/en/er-c/er-c-3/groups/mito-membrane
As a PhD student in the group, your tasks will be:
- Expression and purification of mitochondrial membrane protein complexes in bacterial and eukaryotic (yeast and mammalian) cell systems
- Biochemical and biophysical characterization of the complexes
- Cryo-EM sample preparation, data collection and structure determination
- Master’s degree in molecular/cell biology, biochemistry, biophysics or related fields
- Strong interest and skills in relevant laboratory techniques in molecular and cell biology, biophysics and biochemistry, from the experimental design to the data analysis
- Prior experience in structural biology is desired
- Excellent communication skills and ability to interact with team members
- Fluent English (written and spoken) is required
We work on the very latest issues that impact our society and are offering you the chance to actively help in shaping the change! We offer ideal conditions for you to complete your doctoral degree:
- The chance to work at one of the largest research centers in Germany, with excellent scientific equipment and leading European computational resources, located on a green campus, and near the cultural centers Köln, Düsseldorf, and Aachen. The Jülich campus also hosts a vibrant biophysics, bioinformatics and structural biology community.
- Direct access to high-level cryo-EM infrastructure at the Ernst-Ruska Centre. The facility has been extended with state-of-the-art cryo-microscopes and FIB-SEMs of ThermoFisher Titan Krios, Talos Arctica and Aquilos 2
- Further development of your personal strengths, e.g. through an extensive range of training courses; a structured program of continuing education and networking opportunities specifically for doctoral researchers via JuDocS, the Jülich Center for Doctoral Researchers and Supervisors: https://www.fz-juelich.de/en/judocs
- Targeted services for international employees, e.g. through our International Advisory Service
- Extensive company health management
- 30 days of annual leave as well as an attractive arrangement for bridging days
The employment of doctoral researchers at Jülich is governed by a doctoral contract, which usually has a term of three years. Pay is in line with 65% of pay group 13 of the Collective Agreement for the Public Service (TVöD-Bund) and additionally 60 % of a monthly salary as special payment („Christmas bonus“). Further information on doctoral degrees at Forschungszentrum Jülich including our other locations is available at: https://www.fz-juelich.de/gp/Careers_Docs
We welcome applications from people with diverse backgrounds, e.g. in terms of age, gender, disability, sexual orientation / identity, and social, ethnic and religious origin. A diverse and inclusive working environment with equal opportunities in which everyone can realize their potential is important to us.
Ph D Position: Structural Biology Of The Neuronal Synapse, Delft University of Technology (TU Delft), Netherlands, 14 days ago
13 May 2023 Job Information Organisation/Company Delft University of Technology (TU Delft) Research Field Physics Researcher Profile First Stage Researcher (R1) Country Netherlands Application Dea...
Ph D Position: Structural Biology Of The Neuronal Synapse, Delft University of Technology, Netherlands, 4 days ago
Do you want to identify the molecular mechanisms of synapse formation? Are you interested in neuroscience at the nanoscale? A 4-year position is available for a PhD candidate in the research grou...
Ph D Position (M/F/D) Immunology, Leibniz, Germany, 40 minutes ago
The LIT - Leibniz Institute for Immunotherapy (foundation under civil law) (http://www.rcii.de/en/ ), formerly RCI – is a biomedical research center focusing on translational immunology in the fie...
Ph D Position: Airway Basal Stem Cells Function In Respiratory Diseases (Ref. Bap 2023 267), KU Leuven, Belgium, 14 days ago
14 May 2023 Job Information Organisation/Company KU Leuven Research Field Medical sciences » Medicine Researcher Profile First Stage Researcher (R1) Country Belgium Application Deadline 5 Jun 2023...
Ph D Position: Structural Biology Of The Neuronal Synapse, AcademicTransfer, Netherlands, 14 days ago
PhD position: Structural Biology of the Neuronal Synapse PhD position: Structural Biology of the Neuronal Synapse Published Deadline Location 12 May 15 Jun Delft Do you want to identify the molecu...
Ph D Position In Cardiovascular Gene Regulation In Graduate Program Me In Bio, Preissl Lab, Pharmacology, University of Freiburg, Germany, about 5 hours ago
28 May 2023 Job Information Organisation/Company Preissl Lab, Pharmacology, University of Freiburg Research Field Computer science Researcher Profile First Stage Researcher (R1) Country Germany Ap...