The success of the energy transition is heavily dependent on innovative and efficient electrochemical energy storage systems. Currently, Li-ion is the most promising energy-storage technology. However, in view of the limited lithium and cobalt availability and their unpredictable price development, it is very challenging to cover the (stationary) storage segment with Li-based technology alone. Inexpensive batteries with a long service life, abundantly available and easily recyclable electrode materials such as aluminum and graphite are promising to make a significant contribution in the growing market segment of stationary storage devices. Due to the ecological harmlessness and the low costs for aluminum, graphite and other cell components, AI-ion battery technology is predestined for stationary applications in particular. In the ALIBES-project, Al-ion battery technology will be investigated, whereby the goal of this PhD study is to provide a fully validated electrochemical Al-ion battery model. The model validation will be accomplished with help of self-performed laboratory measurements. In this project your main tasks are:
- Development of a physics-based model for Al-ion batteries. Electrochemical, electrical, and thermal characteristics have to be considered.
- Developing and performing laboratory tests for model validation (Test on special test cells, full Al-ion batteries and electrolytes should be performed)
- Optimizing and validation of the developed models based on laboratory measurements
- Determination and quantification of loss-mechanisms in Al-ion batteries
- Collaborating with other partners in the ALIBES project
- Writing scientific documents and presenting the results at meetings and conferences
- Masters degree in Physics, Electrical, Mechanical or Automotive Engineering, Electrochemistry or comparable field
- Excellent mathematical skills (for modelling), especially of partial differential equations and the implementation of those in a programming language
- Affinity towards modelling and simulations, preferably in connection with electrochemical energy storage systems
- Experience with programming languages, such as MATLAB
- Experience in laboratory work is of advantage
- Independent and result-oriented way of working
- Strong ability to work in a team
- Good communication skills in spoken and written English; German skills are advantageous
We work on the very latest issues that impact our society and are offering you the chance to actively help in shaping the change! We offer ideal conditions for you to complete your doctoral degree:
- Comprehensive training courses and individual opportunities for personal and professional further development
- Extensive company health management
- Ideal conditions for balancing work and private life, as well as a family-friendly corporate policy
- A large research campus with green spaces, offering the best possible means for networking with colleagues and pursuing sports alongside work
- Flexible work (location) arrangements, e.g. remote work
- 30 days of annual leave and provision for days off between public holidays and weekends (e.g. between Christmas and New Year)
- Further development of your personal strengths, e.g. through an extensive range of training courses; a structured program of continuing education and networking opportunities specifically for doctoral researchers via JuDocS, the Jülich Center for Doctoral Researchers and Supervisors: https://www.fz-juelich.de/en/judocs
- Targeted services for international employees, e.g. through our International Advisory Service
The position is for a fixed term of 3 years. Pay in line with 75% of pay group 13 of the Collective Agreement for the Public Service (TVöD-Bund) and additionally 60 % of a monthly salary as special payment („Christmas bonus“). Further information on doctoral degrees at Forschungszentrum Jülich including our other locations is available at: https://www.fz-juelich.de/gp/Careers_Docs
We welcome applications from people with diverse backgrounds, e.g. in terms of age, gender, disability, sexual orientation / identity, and social, ethnic and religious origin. A diverse and inclusive working environment with equal opportunities in which everyone can realize their potential is important to us.
Ph D Position In The Field Of Technical Electrochemistry (Li Ion Battery Research) , Technical University of Munich, Germany, about 17 hours ago
02.02.2023, Wissenschaftliches Personal The overall goal within this PhD project is to improve and optimize the long-term cycling stability of state-of-the-art LMNO cathodes and corresponding elec...
Ph D Stipend In Artificial Intelligence Based Lifetime Optimization In The Smart Batteries (14 23001), Aalborg University, Denmark, 18 days ago
PhD Stipend in artificial intelligence-based lifetime optimization in the Smart Batteries (14-23001) At the Faculty of Engineering and Science, AAU Energy, a position as PhD stipend is...
Ph D Student Position In Sustainable Materials For Green Battery, Chalmers University of Technology, Sweden, about 7 hours ago
Project description This recruitment is connected to the Wallenberg Initiative Materials Science for Sustainability. WISE , funded by the Knut and Alice Wallenberg Foundation, is the largest-ever ...
Ph D Student Position In Structural Battery Composites, Chalmers University of Technology, Sweden, about 7 hours ago
Join our research team focused on structural battery composite materials. As a PhD student you will collaborate with experts in materials science, physics, chemistry and computational mechanics. Y...
Ph D Student In Developmental And Psychosocial Origins Of Accelerated…, Luxembourg Institute of Health (LIH), Luxembourg, 12 days ago
Background and Research Environment. The IEE Research Group focuses on elucidating the molecular, immune and epigenetic mechanisms that link the early life exposome to negative lifelong health tra...
Ph D Position In Bioinformatics , University of Southern Denmark, Denmark, 5 days ago
The Institute of Molecular Medicine (IMM) at SDU PhD position in Bioinformatics Institute of Molecular Medicine (IMM) aims to generate new knowledge on the function of the human body and disease m...