08.04.2021, Wissenschaftliches Personal
The Munich School of Robotics and Machine Intelligence (MSRM) at the Technical University of Munich is looking for an outstanding applicant for a PhD position.
Located in the prosperous capital of Bavaria and home to over 39000 students, the Technical University of Munich (TUM) is one of the world’s top universities (top 4 European technical universities in The World University Ranking, top 50 in Shanghai Ranking, top 10 in Global University Employability Ranking, etc.). It is committed to excellence in research and teaching, inter-disciplinary education, and the active promotion of promising young scientists. TUM benefits from the healthy mix of companies and startups of all sizes headquartered in the region and is tightly connected to regional research hospitals. The university also forges strong links with companies and scientific institutions across the world. The TUM Munich School of Robotics and Machine Intelligence (MSRM) is directed by Prof. Sami Haddadin (2019 Leibniz prize winner). The MSRM is a globally visible interdisciplinary re-search center for machine intelligence, which is the integration of robotics, artificial intelligence and perception. A lighthouse initiative of the MSRM is the Geriatronics project located in Garmisch-Partenkirchen. This refers to the use of robotics, mechatronics and information technology, in particular machine intelligence, in the field of gerontology and geriatric as well as in preventive, outpatient and inpatient care of the elderly. For more information, please visit https://geriatronics.msrm.tum.de
We are looking for an outstanding PhD student to contribute to the Geriatronics project in the MSRM field laboratories located in Garmisch-Partenkirchen. This PhD position offers the unique opportunity to work on the intersection between human-robot interaction, social robotics, embodied AI and ethics for future medical AI robotic innovation. The selected applicant will work in our site at Garmisch-Partenkirchen and will be part of an interdisciplinary team of highly committed and talented researchers. TUM Research Center Geriatronics in Garmisch-Partenkirchen offers excellent research conditions, giving you access to cutting-edge technology, enabling you to test your latest research results directly in the field.
Profile & required skills
• Master degree or equivalent in: mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, computer science, biomedical engineering, or a related field or equivalent practical experience. We especially seek individuals who wish to specialize in robotics and AI, control, AI in medical robotics service, ethics and robotics.
• Strong programming skills (Python, C/C++, ROS, SQL)
• Ability to integrate third-party software modules
• Experience with databases for data recording during physical human-robot interaction scenarios
• Basic knowledge and understanding of ethical, social and legal implications of embodied AI
• Fluency in spoken and written English. German is a plus, willingness to learn German required.
• Good communication skills and ability to present complex content to a diverse audience
• High flexibility in acquiring new knowledge
• Start-up mentality and “can do”-attitude
• Ability to work well in cross-functional teams with diverse people
• Ability to perform under pressure
• Innovative reactive robot control, collision free movement planning and intuitive programming frameworks
• Technical realisation of embedded ethics and social science approaches.
• Research of safe, intuitive and reliable physical human-robot interaction.
• Willingness and ability to work and closely interact within an interdisciplinary team (e.g., Ethics research group)
• Systems that co-operate in human environments
• development of toolbox for future medical AI robotic innovation
• Publishing in top-tier robotics and AI venues, e.g., ICRA, IROS, RA-L, etc.
How to apply?
PhD applications should include the following documents:
• A motivation letter describing your research interests, your qualifications, and why you would be a suitable candidate
• A detailed CV
• Academic transcripts from your Bachelor’s and Master’s degrees
• Email addresses of at least two references
Interested applicants should send us the necessary documents via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org quoting “PhD Application, Geriatronics project - MSRM” in the e-mail subject line. Applications will be considered until the positions have been filled. Preference will be given to applications received before 10.05.2021. Only shortlisted candidates will be notified.
TUM has been pursuing the strategic goal of substantially increasing the diversity of its staff. As an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer, TUM explicitly encourages nominations of and applications from women as well as from all others who would bring additional diversity dimensions to the university’s research and teaching strategies. Preference will be given to disabled candidates with equal qualifications. International candidates are highly encouraged to apply.
Data Protection Information:
When you apply for a position with the Technical University of Munich (TUM), you are submitting personal information. With regard to personal information, please take note of the Datenschutzhinweise gemäß Art. 13 Datenschutz-Grundverordnung (DSGVO) zur Erhebung und Verarbeitung von personenbezogenen Daten im Rahmen Ihrer Bewerbung. (data protection information on collecting and processing personal data contained in your application in accordance with Art. 13 of the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR)). By submitting your application, you confirm that you have acknowledged the above data protection information of TUM.
Ph D Candidate, TUM, Germany, 14 days ago
An official website of the European UnionAn official EU websiteHow do you know? All official European Union website addresses are in the europa.eu domain. See all EU institutions and bodies Cookie...
Postdoc Position In Surgical Robotics, University of Twente (UT), Netherlands, about 4 hours ago
The Surgical Robotics Laboratory in the Department of Biomechanical Engineering (Faculty of Engineering Technology at the University of Twente, The Netherlands has an openings for post-doctoral f...
Fellow Positions In Developing The Next Generation Of Bionic Rehabilitation Systems (2100003 S) (# Of Pos: 2), ISTITUTO ITALIANO DI TECNOLOGIA, Italy, 14 days ago
The Soft Robotics for human cooperation and rehabilitation (SoftBots) Research Line of Istituto Italiano di Tecnologia is seeking for two (2) highly motivated, Fellow researchers (holding a maste...
Ph D Position In Surgical Robotics, University of Twente (UT), Netherlands, about 4 hours ago
The Surgical Robotics Laboratory in the Department of Biomechanical Engineering (Faculty of Engineering Technology) at the University of Twente, The Netherlands has several openings for PhD candi...
Ph D Position Reliable Robot Coordination, Delft University of Technology (TU Delft), Netherlands, 1 day ago
Autonomous robots (such as cars, vessels, and drones) will be widespread in our daily lives, aiming at reducing pollution while improving traffic efficiency and safety. While these technologies ha...
Fellow Positions In Collaborative Robotics For Industrial Applications (2100003 R) (# Of Pos: 2), ISTITUTO ITALIANO DI TECNOLOGIA, Italy, 14 days ago
The Soft Robotics for human cooperation and rehabilitation (SoftBots) Research Line of the Istituto Italiano di Tecnologia is seeking for two (2) highly motivated, Fellow researchers (holding a m...