We aim strengthening the scientific connections with South America and are specifically adressing graduate students from this region.
Computational and experimental projects available at the International Max Planck Research School SusMet in Germany in full time for three years at the partner institutes
- Max-Planck-Institut für Eisenforschung, Düsseldorf
- Max-Planck-Institut für Kohlenforschung, Mülheim/Ruhr
- Ruhr-Universität Bochum
- Universität Duisburg-Essen
What we do
Our structured, three-year doctoral program, conducted entirely in English, takes an intensive interdisciplinary approach and brings together scientists from across the globe in the Rhine-Ruhr metropolitan region of Germany.
Metallurgy has provided humankind since more than five millennia with materials, tools and the associated progress. It is not only a huge engineering success story, but has also become the biggest single industrial environmental burden of our generation. Disruptive innovations are required for alternative reduction processes that convert mineral ores into metals without today’s carbon based methods that release huge amounts of CO2. SusMet focuses on the exploration of carbon-free sustainable metallurgy, employing hydrogen as reducing agent, direct electroreduction (electrolysis) and plasma synthesis.
Correlating experimental, ab initio and multi-scale simulation as well as machine learning techniques is central to our mission:
- Development and application of advanced simulation techniques to explore and identify the fundamental structures and mechanisms occurring in these materials and their synthesis over all relevant length scales (e.g. cutting-edge ab initio methods, atomistic simulation methods, multi-scale modelling, machine learning)
- High resolution analysis, monitoring of chemistry, structure and transformations at the atomic scale of buried interfaces and defects by correlated experimental techniques in both space and time (e.g., correlated APT, TEM, FIM, EBIC, EBSD, XPS Kelvin probe microscopy, machine learning augmented analysis techniques)
- Experimental and computational analysis of transport and the reaction of surfaces and particles with reducing and oxidizing gas-phase species (e.g. laser-based imaging diagnostics, setup of model reactors, modeling of underlying reactions, multiscale simulation of reactive fluids, computational fluid dynamics)
We particularly encourage applications from candidates with a computational background.
What we offer
- Cutting-edge research in a dynamic work environment
- Well-structured curriculum and close supervision of the PhD projects including regular status meetings
- An international and open-minded community with outstanding opportunities for collaboration
Application deadline: 20.10.2022
Starting date: 01.04.2023 or individually later
Please apply online. We don't accept applications via post or e-mail.
Ph D Positions Join The Wild Drone Team , University of Southern Denmark, Denmark, about 20 hours ago
Are you highly motivated to conduct impactful research? Would you like to collaborate with a diverse group of scientists to improve wildlife conservation practices? We are looking for 12 Doctoral ...
Ph D Position In Primate Culture & Social Complexity (1.0 Fte) , Utrecht University, Netherlands, 1 day ago
Print this page PhD position in Primate Culture & Social Complexity (1.0 FTE) PhD position in Primate Culture & Social Complexity (1.0 FTE) Job description The Animal Behaviour & Cognition researc...
Seven Fully Funded Ph D Student Positions (F/M/D) In The Computational & Experimental Plant Sciences , Max Planck Institute for Plant Breeding Research, Cologne, Germany, 23 days ago
Job Offer from November 02, 2022 The Graduate School The International Max Planck Research School on Understanding Complex Plant Traits using Computational and Evolutionary Approaches is a local ...
Ph D Position In Chimpanzee Culture (1.0 Fte) , Utrecht University, Netherlands, 1 day ago
Print this page PhD position in Chimpanzee Culture (1.0 FTE) PhD position in Chimpanzee Culture (1.0 FTE) Job description The Animal Behaviour & Cognition research group is looking for a PhD candi...
Ph D Student, Biosynth, Netherlands, 14 days ago
Position: PhD student ReWIRE is set up to equip next-generation scientists with unique skills to develop ground-breaking therapeutic solutions for patients with paralysis. The specific transdiscip...
Sb – Ph D Probing The Exotic Properties Of Filled Ices Under Hp, EPFL, Switzerland, about 7 hours ago
The Laboratory for Quantum Magnetism (LQM ) is looking for a motivated candidate who wishes to perform his/her Ph.D. in a stimulating and dynamic atmosphere at the forefront of scientific research...