The North changes the world – more sustainable, more intelligent, more humane. We at the University of Oulu work as part of the international science community to produce new scientific information and science-based solutions. We are committed to educate future pioneers to build a more sustainable, intelligent and humane world. Creating new, taking responsibility and succeeding together are values that build a strong foundation for all our actions. We offer a working environment where individuals can cultivate their skills, do meaningful work, and develop professionally. Our university's several specialized research and service units enable extensive and diverse development and career opportunities for experts in various fields.
Kvantum Institute is one of the four strategic focus institutes supporting high-quality research, coordinating multidisciplinary research activities and doctoral training. Kvantum’s science-based expertise meets global challenges in the focus areas Sustainable materials and systems and Changing climate and northern environment . The Institute promotes interdisciplinary networking of research groups as well as co-operation between groups and national and international partners.
We are now looking for
a Postdoctoral Researcher and a Doctoral Student
for CLEAN2STEEL - Towards carbon-neutral steelmaking through hydrogen- reduction and application of clean steels.
Description of the positions
- The Postdoctoral Researcher will concentrate on characterization and behaviour of non-metallic inclusions during primary and secondary steelmaking. The characterisation of the proper-ties of non-metallic inclusions as function of their size and composition is important for ultra clean steel production. Furthermore, development of novel in situ analysing and monitoring methods to characterise process status for producing clean steel with controlled low levels of inclusions and impurities is under review
- The Doctoral Student will concentrate on hydrogen reduction of iron ore pellets and iron ore concentrates. The effect of replacement of CO by H2 as reducing agent will be studied. Furthermore, experimental data will be used to develop single iron ore pellet reduction model to estimate reaction barriers and mechanisms in hydrogen containing atmosphere
Description of the research unit
The Process Metallurgy Research Unit is experienced in understanding reactions, reaction kinetics, thermodynamics and mass and heat transfer phenomena in high-temperature processes. The research work is focused on four areas: (1) reduction metallurgy, (2) refining metallurgy, (3) utilisation of waste materials (dusts, sludges and slags) produced in the metallurgical industry and (4) development of new measuring methods for high-temperature processes. The research is largely technology-oriented with emphasis on fundamental research in the area of the materials characterisation.
Postdoctoral Researcher position: Doctoral degree in the field of metallurgy. The PhD degree must have been received no more than 10 years ago. The selected candidate is working in closed collaboration with industry and metallurgical educational background is required. Due to the participation of teaching and participation of master thesis supervision Finnish language is recommended in addition of English.
Doctoral Student position: MSc in the field of metallurgy or chemical engineering. The selected candidate is working in closed collaboration with industry and metallurgical educational background is required. English language is recommended. The selected candidate will carry out her/his doctoral studies within the University of Oulu Graduate School (UniOGS) and must meet the requirements to receive doctoral study rights as defined in: http://www.oulu.fi/uniogs/requirements_for_admission .
What we offer
- You will become a part of a highly talented research group, that is working on strategically and globally significant research area
- You will receive support from your team and supervisor, so that you can excel in your studies and research
- In addition to modern research facilities, we offer you personnel benefits such as occupational healthcare and affordable sport services
- 4-year position, beginning on January 1, 2021 (or as soon as possible thereafter)
- A salary in accordance with the Finnish universities salary system (for teaching and research personnel): A Postdoctoral Researcher will be based on demand level 5 – 6 and a Doctoral Student level 2 – 4. In addition, a salary component based on personal work performance will be paid (maximum of 50% of the job-specific component). Typical starting salary for a Postdoctoral Researcher is approx. 3400€ per month (before taxes) and for a Doctoral Student approx. 2350€ per month (before taxes). A trial period of six months will be applied.
How to apply
Applications, together with all relevant enclosures, should be submitted using the electronic application form by November 1st, 2020 at 23:59 (Finnish local time). The application should be written in English and include the following:
1) A motivation letter (max. 2 pages) summarizing applicant’s professional experience and expertise and describing why applicant is interested in this position. Also, information on personal research interests, experience and career plans are valuable to provide here
2) Curriculum vitae (max. 4 pages) in accordance with the guidelines of the Finnish Advisory Board on Research Integrity http://www.tenk.fi/en/template-researchers-curriculum-vitae
3) List of publications based on the guidelines of the Academy of Finland https://www.aka.fi/en/funding/apply-for-funding/az-index-of-application-guidelines/list-of-publications/
4) A research plan, max. 3 pages (Postdoctoral Researcher position only)
5) Certificates/Diplomas: Scanned copy of the original doctoral degree certificate (Postdoctoral Researcher position) or of the original Master's degree certificate (Doctoral Student position) and transcript of records and, when necessary, official translations to Finnish or English
6) Contact information of two senior/experienced researchers who may be asked to give a statement on the candidate
Only applications containing all relevant appendices and submitted through portal will be considered.
Top candidates will be invited to an on-site or remote interview.
Professor, Head of Process Metallurgy Research Unit,
Faculty of Technology, University of Oulu
P.O. Box 4300, FI-90014 University of Oulu, Finland
tel +358 (40) 554 6683
email: timo.fabritius at oulu.fi
City of Oulu
The Oulu region is home to over 200 000 people making it the largest urban centre in northern Scandinavia and one of the fastest growing regions in Finland. Oulu is a combination of beautiful, northern nature, vivid cultural life and modern technology. Oulu is also known for its highly-educated people and friendly, easy-going atmosphere. Find out more about Oulu: https://www.oulu.fi/university/living-in-oulu
Two Doctoral Student Positions In Software Engineering And Human Computer Interaction (# Of Pos: 2), University of Oulu, Finland, 5 days ago
The University of Oulu is an international scientific community, with 15000 students and approximately 3000 employees. The strengths of the University are wide multidisciplinary study/research int...
Doctoral Student Position In The Research Field Of Nuclear Receptors And Metabolic Diseases, University of Oulu, Finland, 27 days ago
The University of Oulu is one of the largest universities in Finland. With about 15 000 students and approximately 3 000 employees it is a vibrant international scientific community. By combining ...
Doctoral Student In Pedego, University of Oulu, Finland, about 23 hours ago
The North changes the world – more sustainable, more intelligent, more humane. We, at the University of Oulu, work as part of the international science community to produce new scientific informat...
Postdoctoral Positions At Finca, University of Turku, Finland, 21 days ago
Postdoctoral positions available at FINCA Finnish Centre for Astronomy with ESO (FINCA) is a national research institute in Finland, with headquarters in the University of Turku. It takes care of ...
Doctoral Student In Ecology And Evolutionary Biology, University of Jyväskylä, Finland, 17 days ago
The Department of Biological and Environmental Science is currently seeking to recruit candidates to the positions of DOCTORAL STUDENT in ECOLOGY AND EVOLUTIONARY BIOLOGY The position starts on A...
Doctoral Candidate Or Postdoctoral Researcher In The Area Of Circular Economy Of Battery Materials, Aalto University, Findland, about 18 hours ago
Aalto University is a community of bold thinkers where science and art meet technology and business. We are committed to identifying and solving grand societal challenges and building an innovativ...