The North changes the world – we at the University of Oulu work as part of the international science community to produce new scientific information and science-based solutions. We are committed to educate future pioneers to build a more sustainable, intelligent and humane world. Creating new, taking responsibility and succeeding together are values that build a strong foundation for all our actions. We offer a working environment where individuals can cultivate their skills, do meaningful work, and develop professionally. Our university's several specialized research and service units enable extensive and diverse development and career opportunities for experts in various fields.
Infotech Oulu Institute is one of the four strategic focus institutes at the University of Oulu supporting high-quality research, coordinating multidisciplinary research activities and doctoral training. Infotech’s science-based expertise meets global challenges determined in the strategy of the University of Oulu (UO) in the focus area” Digitalization and smart society” exploring how digitalization can work for everyone. The research topics include sensing and ubiquitous wireless sensor systems, wireless communication, and other novel services and systems. The research targets future information infrastructures and integrates aspects of technology adoption by complex human groups, communities, and societies.
We are now hiring talented researchers for
one Doctoral Student and one Postdoctoral Researcher positions
within our multi-talented research groups in Centre for Wireless Communications (CWC) at University of Oulu, Finland. Centre for Wireless Communications (CWC) at ITEE was established in 1995 and provides high quality bachelor, master and doctoral level education in wireless communications and radio frequency (RF) engineering. CWC employs personnel of almost 200 including 17 professors, 15 other senior scientists, more than 30 postdoctoral researchers and over 70 doctoral students. It consists of two research units: CWC – Radio Technologies and CWC – Networks and Systems. The areas of research cover radio frequency engineering, signal processing and machine learning for wireless systems, wireless communications engineering for different layers, networking, and various vertical applications of wireless systems, technology and networks.
Communications Signal Processing (CSP) Research Group focuses on signal processing algorithm and architecture design, optimization, learning and inference to enable wireless technology realization in transceivers, systems and networks. Integrated sensing and communications, localization and other signal processing challenges for millimeter-wave and (sub-)THz systems are timely areas of research.
This call covers the following research topic:
- Multiantenna coded caching for wireless content delivery
In this topic, the focus is on the multipoint/multiantenna coded caching of popular content at radio access network and edge devices, to increase both the content delivery performance and the energy efficiency of wireless access. In multipoint coded caching, devices or small cells with self-backhauling store fragments of files, and the network transmits multicast network coded messages to multiple devices, depending on their current content needs, i.e., file requests. The selected candidates will develop cache-aided mmWave-based wireless solutions that will reliably provide seamless high data rates and low latencies for future extended reality applications given the specifics of directional mmWave connectivity. The aim is to provide optimized dynamic cache replacement strategies, such that the content relevant to identified system-wide bottleneck areas is proactively incentivized for storage at user devices. Furthermore, cache-aided multipoint/multiantenna-based coded content delivery mechanisms are developed to facilitate the extremely high area capacity required by the multi-user immersive experience.
- Master’s degree for the Doctoral Student position (Please also see the requirements of the University of Oulu Graduate School http://www.oulu.fi/uniogs/requirements_for_admission )
- Doctoral degree for the Postdoctoral Researcher position. The doctoral degree must have been received no more than 10 years ago.
2. Proven track record on optimization theory and signal processing for communications
3. Open-minded and enthusiastic towards research
4. Capable of pursuing independent research
5. Excellent with communication skills in English
6. A skilful team worker
What we offer
- We offer you a place in a highly talented research group, working to solve globally significant research problems in the field ofcommunications, signal processing and optimization theory
- University´s wide variety of support services are at your disposal, allowing you to focus on your studies and research.
- In addition to modern research facilities, we offer you personnel benefits such as free occupational healthcare, support for sport services and endless opportunities to develop your skills and competences.
- Regular salary is paid 12 months per year, including paid leave and an additional holiday bonus in the summer
- The employed persons will be insured by the university and provided occupational healthcare. The Finnish government provides benefits to residents and their families, for example possibility to the national healthcare system and high-quality affordable childcare and school services.
The salary of the selected doctoral student will be in accordance with the Finnish universities salary system for teaching and research personnel level 2-4. In addition, a salary component based on personal work performance will be paid (maximum of 50% of the job-specific component). Starting gross salary will be approx. 2400-2500€ per month (before taxes).
The salary of the selected postdoctoral researcher will be in accordance with the Finnish universities salary system for teaching and research personnel level 5-6. In addition, a salary component based on personal work performance will be paid (maximum of 50% of the job-specific component). Starting gross salary will be approx. 3500-4000€ per month (before taxes).
The exact starting date will be agreed upon separately with the preferred starting date in 1st of January 2022. The doctoral student and the postdoctoral researcher positions are fixed term for maximum 4 years from 1st of January 2022 and ending 31.12.2025. A trial period of 6 months is applied in the positions
How to apply
Applications, together with all relevant enclosures, should be submitted using the electronic application form by November 30th, 2021 at 23:59 (Finnish local time). The application should be written in English and include the following attachments:
- Your preferred research directions and challenges
- Your ambition and personal goals for research
- Highlights of prior study, research and innovation experience
- Your most valuable skills, characteristics and competence
2. Curriculum vitae (max. 4 pages) and list of publications in accordance with the guidelines of the Finnish Advisory Board on Research Integrity
3. Certificates/Diplomas: Scanned copy of the original degree certificates and transcript of records and, when necessary, official translations to Finnish or English
4. Contact information of two senior/experienced researchers who may be asked to give a statement on the candidate
5. A Research plan (max. 3 pages) – for the postdoctoral position candidates only
Only applications containing all relevant appendices and submitted through the online recruitment system will be considered. Applications sent by email will not be considered. Top candidates will be invited to an on-site or remote interview. All applicants will be notified when the selection process is completed.
About Oulu, Finland
Finland is one of the most liveable countries in the world, with a high quality of life, safety, excellent education system, and competitive economy. The Oulu region is home to over 200 000 people making it the largest urban centre in the Nordics and one of the fastest growing regions in northern Finland. Oulu is a combination of beautiful, northern nature, vivid cultural life and modern technology. Oulu is also known for its highly educated people and friendly, easy-going atmosphere. Living in Oulu is easy – everything is only max. 20 minutes away! Find out more about Oulu: https://www.oulu.fi/university/living-in-oulu
Edited November 5th: End of application period
Post Doctor Candidate Position In The Area Of Cyber Trust, Security And Privacy, Aalto University, Finland, 18 days ago
Communications and Networking (Comnet) unit at the School of Electrical Engineering at Aalto University is looking for a Post-doctor candidate position in the area of Cyber Trust, Security and Pri...
Doctoral Candidate Position In The Area Of Cyber Trust, Security And Privacy, Aalto University, Finland, 18 days ago
Communications and Networking (Comnet) unit at the School of Electrical Engineering at Aalto University is looking for a Doctoral candidate position in the area of Cyber Trust, Security and Privac...
Doctoral Candidate In The Area Of Materials Science For Lithium Ion Batteries Recycling, Aalto University, Finland, 16 days ago
Aalto University is a community of bold thinkers where science and art meet technology and business. We are committed to identifying and solving grand societal challenges and building an innovativ...
Doctoral Researcher, Sport And Health Sciences, University of Jyväskylä, Finland, 14 days ago
The Faculty of Sport and Health Sciences is currently seeking to recruit the following: DOCTORAL RESEARCHER, Sport and Health Sciences starting January 3rd, 2022, or as agreed, until September 3...
Doctoral Researcher (Computational Electromagnetics), Tampere University, Finland, 19 days ago
This is a call for a Ph.D. student. For a postdoctoral researcher position, please see https://tuni.rekrytointi.com/paikat/?o=A_RJ&jgid=1&jid=1126 . Tampere University and Tampere University of Ap...
Postdoctoral Position In Deep Learning Based Image Regression From Indirect Noisy Observations, Uppsala University, Sweden, 1 day ago
Published: 2021-11-08 Uppsala University is a comprehensive research-intensive university with a strong international standing. Our ultimate goal is to conduct education and research of the highe...