Doctoral Candidate position in the area of sustainable consumption and community organization
The School of Arts, Design and Architecture (Aalto ARTS) is a Nordic leader in higher education for design, fashion, game design, media, architecture, film, art education and fine art. We are a diverse community of professionals, with great appreciation for creativity and responsibility. We produce world-class research and educate front-line professionals and visionaries for established, changing and emerging fields. Our new campus in Espoo, in the greater Helsinki area of Finland, makes working together among and across disciplines easier than ever before. We are tackling societal grand challenges head-on and striving towards a sustainable, just society and environment. Aalto university’s art and design is ranked as the 7th best in the world (QS Rankings 2020).
The Department of Design is a diverse, creative community. We strive for a deep understanding of functions, experiences and interactions and we are constantly experimenting with new approaches to craftmanship. We educate professionals with technical skill and artistic expression — individuals that are able to make a societal impact. We carry out internationally ground-breaking research within multiple fields of design, in continuous collaboration with our stakeholders.
Department of Design has existing research on sustainability transitions, grass roots activism, urbanism and design-lead strategies for sustainable consumption. Combined, this work highlights the need to rethink how individuals organize for sustainability, how different forms of interaction and exchange can contribute to sustainability transformations and how sustainability debates unfold across societies and in different global contexts.
We are now looking for an
Informal economies, community organizing, resource-sharing and peer-to-peer support in sustainability transformations
The first contract period is full time and the duration is 9 months
About the position
- The position includes research in the field of design for sustainability and sustainable consumption
- The position enables qualified students to obtain a PhD degree in Design
- The work is expected to lead to scientific publications in international academic journals
The research of the candidate is expected to be within the following topics
- Alternative organising and peer-to-peer networks for sustainable consumption
- Informal economy and exchange relations as part of sustainability transformations
- Sharing of resources, skills and other asset for sustainability
- Master’s degree in a relevant discipline
- Track record of conducting high quality master’s thesis
- Excellent English language skills (written and verbal)
- Good communication skills
- Ability to collaborate in research groups, ability to pursue research independently and good self-management skills
- High level of commitment and motivation
The position offers
- Thriving sustainability research community
- Stimulating research and working environment in one of the leading international universities
- Possibility to pursue cutting-edge research with a wide community of sustainability scholars including the NODUS research group at the Department of Design at Aalto University.
For inquiries, please contact Prof. Mikko Jalas (firstname.lastname@example.org) at the School of Arts, Architecture and Design.
For those interested in the doctoral candidate position, send your application enclosing all relevant documents (cover letter, CV and names of referees) by 26.5.2021.
The candidates chosen for the second round will be asked to send to their 5-page research proposals by 28.5.2021.
Ph D In English Literary Studies , NTNU, Norway, about 7 hours ago
This is NTNU NTNU is a broad-based university with a technical-scientific profile and a focus in professional education. The university is located in three cities with headquarters in Trondheim. A...
Research Scholarship (For Master Or Integrated Master Students) (Bl131/2021 Ist Id), Associação do Instituto Superior Técnico para a Investigação e Desenvolvimento _IST-ID, Portugal, 16 days ago
Work plan: The project involves the development of generic and innovative models to support the management of the design, planning and operation of sustainable supply chains (CAS) in a context of ...
Ph D Candidate For Safe And Sustainable By Design For Chemicals, Radboud University, Netherlands, 13 days ago
Chemicals are essential for the well-being, high living standards and comfort of modern society. However, most chemicals have hazardous properties which can harm the environment. As a PhD Candidat...
Ph D Candidate/Junior Lecturer In Marketing And Responsible Innovation, Radboud University, Netherlands, 9 days ago
The Nijmegen School of Management (NSM) is an academic centre of research and higher education, focusing on institutional and managerial issues within complex organisations. There are seven disci...
Ph D Positions On Computer Vision And Deep Learning For Architectural Design, Delft University of Technology (TU Delft), Netherlands, 1 day ago
A fair part of our planet is considered as “built environment”. There is a large amount of digital footprint and visual data such as street-view images, maps and interior photos, floor plans, etc....
Faculty Position In Creativity And Art , ShanghaiTech University ;, China, 18 days ago
ShanghaiTech University - School of Creativity and Art (SCA) Faculty position in Creativity and Art ShanghaiTech University calls for candidates with exceptional academic records or demonstrated p...