15 Early Stage Researcher PhD Studentships
inventWater: Inventive forecasting tools for adapting water quality management to a new climate
European Training Networks - Innovative Training Network - Marie Skłodowska-Curie Actions – Horizon 2020 Excellence Science – European Comission. H2020-MSCA-ITN-2020
Dr Rafael Marcé (Catalan Institute for Water Research - ICRA)
The MSCA programme offers a highly competitive and attractive salary and working conditions. The successful candidates will receive a salary in accordance with the MSCA regulations for early stage researchers. Exact salary will be confirmed upon appointment [Living Allowance = €3270/month (correction factor to be applied per country) + mobility allowance = €600/month. Researchers may also qualify for a family allowance of €500/month depending on the family situation. Note these amounts are before local taxes/social payments].
Hosted by one of 10 project beneficiaries as detailed in the project descriptions below: Catalan Institute for Water Research (Spain, coordinator), Aarhus University (Denmark), Dundalk Institute of Technology (Ireland), Helmholtz-Centre for Environmental Research (Germany), International Institute for Applied System Analysis (Austria), Ruhr-Universitaet Bochum (Germany), The University of Stirling (UK), Vrije Universiteit Brussel (Belgium), Wageningen University (The Netherlands), and University College Cork (Ireland)
Fulltime employment contract for 36 months, some projects offer the possibility to extend to 48 months
Applications are invited for 15 Early Stage Researcher (ESR) PhD studentships on the Marie Skłodowska-Curie action (MSCA) European Training Network inventWater (Inventive forecasting tools for adapting water quality management to a new climate) within the Horizon 2020 Programme of the European Commission. Each vacancy is for a period of 36 months, with a starting date between 1 June 2021 and 1 November 2021 (dependent on individual project requirements - see project descriptions below). Recruitment will be on a competitive basis across all applicants.
We offer Doctorates undertaking cross-disciplinary research working in top European research institutes with high exposure to the non-academic sector, including industry from the water sector, spin-offs, and highly influential international organisations such as UNESCO.
The water quality of rivers, lakes and reservoirs is severely affected by long-term climate change, extreme events, and weather variations. As a result, there is a pressing need for instruments that anticipate the impacts of environmental changes, allowing water management to effectively safeguard water quality. Technological advances have led to new meteorological and climate data products and innovative modelling instruments that have enabled reliable predictions for lake and river water quality on regional and global levels. The EU-funded inventWater project will establish a platform that provides advanced cross-disciplinary training to the next-generation of water specialists. The project will offer training in data science, climate, hydrology, and freshwater ecology, focussing on the development and real-world application of inventive water quality predicting instruments that support fast and reliable decision-making and long-term adaptation policies. The administrative EU page for the project is https://cordis.europa.eu/project/id/956623 .
The consortium consists of Beneficary institutions performing cutting-edge science in the water sector from 8 different countries, and 16 additional partners that will broaden the professional career perspectives of the ESRs.
Below is a list of the 15 ESR projects / PhD positions that are available:
- ESR-1: A new generation of coupled watershed-lake water quality models operating at multiple scales, Aarhus University, Denmark.
- ESR-2: Machine learning methods integrating climate and water monitoring data to support modelling future water quality in lakes and reservoirs over decades, Ruhr-Universitaet Bochum, Germany.
- ESR-3: Improving forecasts of phytoplankton blooms using high frequency satellite observations, The University of Stirling, UK.
- ESR-4 : Incorporating water management in an Earth System Model for improved climate, impact and adaptation modelling, Vrije Universiteit Brussel (Belgium).
- ESR-5 : Innovative forecasting approaches to assess future trends in pollutant flows from land to water systems for advancing sectoral water quality services, Wageningen University, The Netherlands.
- ESR-6 : New global indicators for the impacts of global changes on water quality to improve management and policy making, International Institute for Applied System Analysis, Austria.
- ESR-7 : Assisting decision making with water quality predictions based on short-term weather forecasts, Dundalk Institute of Technology, Ireland.
- ESR-8 : Producing climate services related to seasonal and decadal prediction for an improved management of lakes devoted to drinking water supply, Catalan Institute for Water Research, Spain.
- ESR-9 : Combining forecasting tools and adaptive monitoring strategies for fast reaction plans for aquatic ecosystems at risk, Helmholtz-Centre for Environmental Research, Germany.
- ESR-10 : Solutions for existing and future challenges in water governance, Helmholtz-Centre for Environmental Research, Germany.
- ESR-11 : Adaptation strategies against progressing anoxia in lakes, The University of Stirling, UK.
- ESR-12 : Forecasting the phenology, production, and distribution of diadromous fish in order to enable climate adaptation in fish management,University College Cork, Ireland.
- ESR-13 : Forecasting feedbacks between the climate system and carbon dynamics in lakes and reservoirs under adaptation scenarios, Catalan Institute for Water Research, Spain.
- ESR-14 : Forecasting trade-offs between the food-energy-water-environment nexus and opportunities for adaptation, Vrije Universiteit Brussel (Belgium).
- ESR-15 : Adaptation measures based on smart nutrient management at the catchment scale for future-proof water quality, Wageningen University, The Netherlands.
Ph D Innovative Forecasting Approaches To Assess Future Trends In Pollutant Flows From Land To Water Systems For Advancing Sectoral Water Quality Services, Wageningen University & Research, Netherlands, 16 days ago
Are you passionate about water quality and quantity modeling and developing innovative modeling approaches for pollution management? And interested in scenario analysis, seeking solutions, and eva...
Two Ph D Positions In Integrated Groundwater And Surface Water Modelling As Part Of The Aqua Connect Program (1.0 Fte), Utrecht University, Netherlands, about 15 hours ago
Are you looking for a PhD position where stakeholder interaction dynamics and teamwork are the keys to success? Do you have an interest in Integrated Groundwater and Surface Water Modelling, inclu...
4 Ph D Positions Riverhood: Living Rivers And New Water Justice Movements, Wageningen University & Research, Netherlands, about 15 hours ago
Are you interested in understanding how different actors know, value and strive to shape river systems in diverging ways? Do you want to learn specifically about approaches for enlivening rivers t...
Ph D Position Super Fluent Pipes – Water Distribution With Ultralow Fluid Resistance, Wetsus, European centre of excellence for sustainable watertechnology, Netherlands, 8 days ago
Motivation Ground or surface water is purified to drinking water and supplied to households via the water network mains. The water network is considered as the final water quality process. The wat...
Ph D Smart Water Grid Modeling And Optimization Aqua Connect, Delft University of Technology (TU Delft), Netherlands, about 14 hours ago
AquaConnect is a NWO-funded research program with 13 PhD’s and 4 Post Docs supported by about 40 stakeholders that aims to develop innovative solutions for making water supply resilient against fu...
Doctoral Student, P And Fe Recovery From Iron Phosphate Materials, University of Oulu, Findland, about 22 hours ago
We at the University of Oulu work as part of the international science community to produce new scientific information and science-based solutions. We are committed to educate future pioneers to b...