Tallinn University of Technology, School of Engineering, Department of Electrical Power Engineering and Mechatronics offers a 4-year PhD position in Power Engineering and Mechatronics.
Proposed doctoral thesis topic: "Methodology for Diagnostics of Energy Storage Systems Based on System Digital Representation"
Supervisors: Professor Anton Rassõlkin and Senior Research Scientist Toomas Vaimann
The PhD candidate will learn about the Digital Twin (DT) concept and its possible application in portable Energy Storage Systems (ESS) within this thesis. Department will provide the necessary equipment to develop a test bench and DT. Candidate will be responsible for developing, verifying, and implementing the models of different ESS components.
The main tasks of the thesis are:
- A modern trend for industry digitalization brings new demands for developing and applying the modeling and simulation approach. The DT aspect indicates a connection between the physical object and the corresponding virtual twin established by generating real-time data using physical and virtual sensors. The literature analysis must be provided to define the digitalization level of ESS.
- At that step, the study on possible ESS failures must be provided, and the solutions for the faults simulation in the laboratory suggested.
- The ESS is a rather complex system for accurate mathematical description, monitoring, and validation. The laboratory studies with test benches, combining the advantages of software models and real equipment, contribute to the reduction of the number of test runs and safe maintenance. By using a variety of different test benches, separate parts of an ESS could be studied and improved.
- The test bench that allows evaluating energy management, optimal control configuration, a combination of different energy sources, etc., would be an added value to the research and development community.
- Develop physical models of different energy system components and the related reduced models of these components, which will construct the system's DT.
- Develop and implement the concept of Virtual Sensors based on the developed DT concept and diagnostics methodologies based on the proposed models.
- To provide the research environment for analysis, investigation, and simulation of marketable ESS.
- To establish assessment and verification procedures for possible fault diagnostics to support commercial consulting, research, and testing for enterprises based on the DT concept.
Ph D In Natural Corrosion Inhibitors And Green Biocides For Oil Field Applications (14 21077), Aalborg University, Denmark, about 18 hours ago
PhD in natural corrosion inhibitors and green biocides for oil field applications (14-21077) At the Faculty of Engineering and Science, AAU Energy, a position as PhD stipend is available within th...
Ph D Student Position: Facilitating The City Energy System Transition Local Flexibility, Chalmers University of Technology, Sweden, about 17 hours ago
Information about the research Historically, the majority of the electricity requested in cities has been imported. However, due to urbanization and electrification, the city electricity demand is...
Ph D Scholarship In Digital Design And Manufacturing , Technical University of Denmark ;, Denmark, about 3 hours ago
PhD scholarship in Digital Design and Manufacturing We are searching for a strong PhD candidate within the area of Digital Design and Manufacturing. You will have a unique opportunity to work and ...
Ph D Scholarship In Digital Design And Manufacturing, Technical University of Denmark, Denmark, about 15 hours ago
We are searching for a strong PhD candidate within the area of Digital Design and Manufacturing. You will have a unique opportunity to work and do research in a strong collaboration between KK Win...
Ph D Position Vr Renovate, Delft University of Technology (TU Delft), Netherlands, about 13 hours ago
VR-Renovate is a multidisciplinary project that involves 3D rendering, Virtual Reality (VR), and visualization technology in order to ease societal transition into sustainable home design. As the ...
Ph D Position Durability Of Bio Based Materials For Sustainable Engineering Structures, Delft University of Technology (TU Delft), Netherlands, 5 days ago
The ever increasing effects of climate change and (as a result) the imposition of environmental regulations to reduce CO2 emissions, encourage researchers in various disciplines (e.g. civil, aeros...