Purpose: The Abdul Latif Jameel Poverty Action Lab’s Middle East and North Africa regional office is based at The American University in Cairo School of Business. J-PAL is a global research center working to reduce poverty by ensuring that policy is informed by scientific evidence. Anchored by a network of more than 200 affiliated professors at universities around the world, J-PAL draws on results from randomized impact evaluations to answer critical questions in the fight against poverty.
The Officer, JPAL policy will play a key role in supporting partnerships with governments, NGOs, and donors to support the generation and use of evidence across the MENA region. She/he should be passionate about working with different stakeholders to enhance development policy, leveraging rigorous evidence to make recommendations. Being a part of J-PAL MENA’s policy and communications team, she/he will connect the dots between economics and policy. The primary tasks will involve evidence summary and synthesis, supporting the policy team to disseminate lessons from impact evaluations, and supporting the use of evidence in policy design. Teamwork, communication, and analysis are central to the role.
- Evidence generation : Support efforts to generate new rigorous research on priority policy issues through research project matchmaking. Support efforts to raise funds for a J-PAL MENA at AUC Research Initiative to fund impact evaluations that will fill critical evidence gap
- Evidence synthesis : Assist in reviewing academic literature on randomized evaluations in development economics to draw out policy lessons from these field evaluations and consider applications and generalizability of lessons to MENA contexts and for policymakers in the region
- Writing and communication:
- Create materials for policy outreach, including tailored evidence note presentations, as well as other high-level deliverables, as requested by J-PAL senior staff and affiliates
- Communicate about J-PAL MENA’s work in various formats, including social media, written publications
- Support in the drafting of presentations for in-person events, and occasionally presenting publicly with J-PAL partners
- Policy outreach and evidence dissemination: Support managers to meet with and build relationships with key partners in government, NGOs, foundations, and donor agencies
o Prepare presentations on J-PAL, evidence-informed policy, and specific lessons from the evidence base relevant to partners’ priorities
o Organize conferences and events to spur new research collaborations and share policy lessons from completed research
- Sector expertise: Develop sectoral expertise on one to two critical policy issues in Egypt and MENA; support relationships with key partners in government agencies, non-profits, foundations, and the private sector
- Perform other tasks as needed to support organizational development
Minimum Education Requirement:
- Bachelor’s or master’s degree in economics, public policy, or a closely related field including coursework in microeconomics, econometrics, and development economics
- Minimum four years of experience; two of them with relevant work experience, including work related to poverty reduction, public policy, impact evaluations, and evidence-informed policymaking
- Significant training in economics at the undergraduate or master’s level
- Prior professional experience working in policy design, implementation, or evaluation is preferred
- Strong self-management and organizational skills
- Fluent in both Arabic and English
- Comfortable to work with computer applications (such as Asana and Salesforce)
- Detailed oriented and advanced writing skills, including proven ability to communicate policy lessons from technical academic research to a non-technical audience
- Can handle multiple projects at once with little supervision, meet deadlines, and practice effective time management
- Can manage projects and tasks effectively and proactively
The position is open until April 11, 2021
Placement is based on the candidate’s experience and skills. Only candidates who make it to the short list will be contacted. Please attach cover letter, resume and transcripts from highest degree attained.
“We thank all individuals who have expressed interest in working at The American University in Cairo.”
Post Doc Position ‘Economic And Cultural Explanations Of Populism', Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam (VU), Netherlands, 26 days ago
Collecting data through Voting Advice Applications (VAAs) and online panel surveys across 10 European countries: United Kingdom, the Netherlands, Italy, Germany, Spain, Romania, France, Sweden, Hu...
Ph D Candidate On Modelling The Dynamics Of Multidimensional Poverty Traps, University of Amsterdam (UvA), Netherlands, 15 days ago
The Informatics Institute of the Faculty of Science is looking for a PhD candidate on modelling multidimensional poverty trap dynamics to generate insights for development policies. The United N...
Ph D Candidate, The Open Universiteit (OU), Netherlands, 1 day ago
Background Improving Financial Literacy – an omnibus term that captures financial knowledge, financial behavior and financial attitudes – has become a priority in many countries. A recent OECD stu...
Ph D On Empowering Teachers To Evaluate Socio Scientific Issues Lessons, Eindhoven University of Technology (TU/e), Netherlands, 10 days ago
Science education aims not only to educate future scientists and technicians, but also to contribute to educating all students as scientifically literate and responsible citizens who use this insi...
Phd Position Methods Of Diagnostic Test Evaluations, University Medical Center Utrecht (UMC Utrecht), Netherlands, 1 day ago
As the successful candidate for this position, you will be studying various methodological approaches (designs and types of data analyses) that best suit the evaluation of different types of diagn...
Ph D Scholarship Economics Of Disasters, Victoria University of Wellington, New Zealand, 4 days ago
Study Area(s): Business; Science Scholarship Level: Doctoral Tenure: The scholarship will be held for up to three years Number offered: Two to three scholarships will be awarded Value: $27,500 ann...