Reports to: Director - J-PAL/AUC IFE
Purpose: The Abdul Latif Jameel Poverty Action Lab at the American University in Egypt (J-PAL/AUC) initiative is a joint collaboration between J-PAL and AUC to develop and carry out policy-relevant research evaluating social policies in Egypt. While J-PAL and AUC have collaborated on work in Egypt for the past few years, the Initiative is a new, formal collaboration and is expected to eventually be part of the J-PAL Middle East and North Africa regional presence. This position is on the mid-level of the J-Pal staff ladder and requires significant training in economics with significant experience in research, public speaking and extensive writing for external audiences. The job will contribute significantly to the design and execution of the Initiative’s policy impact work, under the direction of the director of J-PAL/AUC Initiative for Egypt.
- Meet with and builds relationships with key partners in governments, NGOs, foundations and multilateral aid agencies
- Give presentations on J-PAL’s work and research findings, linking these to policy priorities in Egypt
- Encourage policymakers to use evidence in decision-making, partner on impact evaluations or attend J-PAL’s courses
- Identify opportunities to ensure policy influence with ongoing research studies in Egypt, working closely with research staff and Principal Investigators (PIs)
- Review academic literature on randomized evaluations in development economics to draw out policy lessons relevant to the Egyptian context
- Identify the most effective and cost-effective policies and programs for policy dissemination
- Create policy memos and publications that “translate” J-PAL’s economic research into policy lessons for dissemination to policymakers in Egypt's organizations
- Assist the director in recruiting, supervising and mentoring junior policy staff
- Organize regional and national conferences
- Provide support and helps in teaching J-PAL’s capacity building courses
- Handle any other tasks assigned by supervisor
Minimum Education Requirement:
- Bachelor degree, including significant training in economics
- MA in policy, economics or statistics required
- Minimum of eight years of relevant experience, including five years in research projects or policy/international development roles
- Experience in a position that required public speaking and extensive writing for external audiences
- Experience managing projects and people
- Experience with interpreting data analysis and academic writing; experience with STATA and/or R data analysis software preferred
- Experience as a research assistant or on economics research projects preferred but not required
- Ability to read, interpret and discuss empirical microeconomics literature, and able to responsibly draw policy lessons
- Strong analytical and policy analysis skills
- Strong writing and public speaking skills
- Bi-lingual Arabic and English
- Team player with good problem solving and time management skills
- Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines
This position is open until May 23, 2019
Placement is based on the candidate’s experience and skills. Only candidates who make it to the shortlist will be contacted. If interested, please send an updated and detailed resume to firstname.lastname@example.org, stating “New Manager, Policy J-PAL AUC Initiative for Egypt” in the subject line.
“We thank all individuals who have expressed interest in working at The American University in Cairo.”
German Bundestag: International Parliamentary Scholarships , DAAD, Germany, 1 day ago
Overview Eine Druckversion dieser Ausschreibung (PDF) steht Ihnen in den weiteren Registerkarten (z.B. „Bewerbungsvoraussetzungen“) zur Verfügung. A print version of this announcement (PDF) is ava...
Faculty Position In Department Of Mathematics And Statistics , Times Higher Education, United Kingdom, 20 days ago
Description The University Zayed University, a premier university in the United Arab Emirates, is an innovative institution based on an international model of higher education. The University has ...
Program Director For Student Engagement Qatar Student Affairs, Carnegie Mellon University, United States, about 12 hours ago
Program Director for Student Engagement - Qatar Student Affairs-2013658 Description : Job Summary Carnegie Mellon University (CMU) is a private, global research university and stands among the wor...
Two Post Doctoral Scholarships (3 Years) In Economics (# Of Pos: 2), Umeå University, Sweden, 8 days ago
Umeå University in Sweden provides creative environments for learning and research. We offer a wide variety of courses and programs, world leading research, and excellent innovation and collaborat...
Doctoral Programme Of Tse, Doctoral Candidate (Right To Study And/Or Funded Position), University of Turku, Finland, 13 days ago
CALL FOR APPLICATIONS FOR DOCTORAL CANDIDATE POSITIONS AND STUDY RIGHTS AT THE DOCTORAL PROGRAMME OF TURKU SCHOOL OF ECONOMICS The Doctoral Programme of Turku School of Economics (TSE) invites app...
Coordinator For International Student Services Qatar Student Affairs, Carnegie Mellon University, United States, about 12 hours ago
Coordinator for International Student Services - Qatar Student Affairs-2013657 Description : Job Summary Carnegie Mellon University (CMU) is a private, global research university and stands among ...