The CHEC research group at the Department of Chemical Engineering carries out research on catalysis and high temperature processes such as combustion, gasification and pyrolysis.
Haldor Topsøe is demonstrating a two-step process for converting sugars into mono ethylene glycol. This process involves a cracking step, where a sugar solution is sprayed into a hot fluid bed reactor, followed by a hydrogenation step in a fixed bed reactor. In a project recently funded by Innovation Fund Denmark (ReMEG) it is the aim is to improve the performance of the first step. As part of this project, two post docs position are available at DTU-Chemical Engineering in tight collaboration with Haldor Topsøe.
Responsibilities and qualifications
Position 1 involves:
- Setting up a test unit for fast screening of bed materials with a high throughput and with representative process conditions.
- Identification and synthesis of materials based on a literature search and knowledge of the relevant chemistry of the sugar cracking process. Synthesis work can be carried out at HTAS and/or DTU, depending on required equipment. The synthesized materials should be characterized by relevant methods available at DTU and Haldor Topsøe.
- Experimental testing of the synthesized materials in the constructed test unit. Materials with interesting activity and selectivity will be further tested in a fluidized bed test setup.
Position 2 involves:
- Construction of a microscale hot test setup for studying the interaction between bed particles and sugar droplets. The setup should be equipped with a high-speed camera, a refined feed injection nozzle allowing tuning of droplet size, and an online MS for measuring the product composition.
- Experimental study of particle – droplet interactions at different conditions and with different materials (surfaces) resembling the bed material composition, including temperature and droplet characteristics.
- By simultaneously visualizing the interaction and analyzing the cracking products a link between the interaction mechanism and the chemical outcome of the cracking process should be established.
You should have a PhD degree within chemistry/chemical engineering (position 1) and chemistry/chemical engineering/mechanical engineering (position 2).
DTU is a leading technical university globally recognized for the excellence of its research, education, innovation and scientific advice. We offer a rewarding and challenging job in an international environment. We strive for academic excellence in an environment characterized by collegial respect and academic freedom tempered by responsibility
Salary and appointment terms
The appointment will be based on the collective agreement with the Danish Confederation of Professional Associations. The allowance will be agreed upon with the relevant union. The period of employment for both positions is 2 years.
The workplace will be DTU Lyngby Campus.
You can read more about career paths at DTU here .
Further information may be obtained from Professor Anker Degn Jensen, +45 4525 2841, email: firstname.lastname@example.org .
You can read more about Department of Chemical Engineering on: www.kt.dtu.dk .
If you are applying from abroad, you may find useful information on working in Denmark and at DTU at DTU – Moving to Denmark .
Please submit your online application no later than 1 July 2021 (Danish time). Applications must be submitted as one PDF file containing all materials to be given consideration. To apply, please open the link "Apply online", fill out the online application form, and attach all your materials in English in one PDF file. The file must include:
- Application (cover letter)
- Academic Diplomas (MSc/PhD)
- List of publications
You may apply prior to obtaining your PhD degree but cannot begin before having received it.
All interested candidates irrespective of age, gender, race, disability, religion or ethnic background are encouraged to apply.
The CHEC Research Centre at DTU Chemical Engineering is internationally recognised for research in catalysis, combustion, gasification, pyrolysis and emission control.
Technology for people
DTU develops technology for people. With our international elite research and study programmes, we are helping to create a better world and to solve the global challenges formulated in the UN’s 17 Sustainable Development Goals. Hans Christian Ørsted founded DTU in 1829 with a clear vision to develop and create value using science and engineering to benefit society. That vision lives on today. DTU has 12,900 students and 6,000 employees. We work in an international atmosphere and have an inclusive, evolving, and informal working environment. DTU has campuses in all parts of Denmark and in Greenland, and we collaborate with the best universities around the world.
Ph D Scholarship In The Evolution Of Genetic Heterogeneity During Fermentation Process Scale Up, Technical University Of Denmark, Denmark, 21 days ago
Biomanufacturing is one of the fastest growing fields and a driver for the transition from a fossil-based to a circular bio-based economy and a sustainable future. If you would like to become an e...
Ph D Scholarship In Strong Light Matter Coupling In Organic Solar Cells, Technical University Of Denmark, Denmark, 15 days ago
You should apply for this position if you are passionate about solutions for the transition to a society running on sustainable energy. Solar energy will play a significant role in this and there ...
Ph D Stipend/Intergrated Ph D Stipend In Additive Manufacturing Of Membranes (18 21070), Aalborg University, Denmark, about 9 hours ago
PhD Stipend/Intergrated PhD Stipend in Additive Manufacturing of Membranes (18-21070) At the Faculty of Engineering and Science, Department of Chemistry and Bioscience, Section of Chemistry, a PhD...
One Opening Early Stage Researcher (Ph D) Position In Chemistry, Physical Chemistry, Physics Within..., Technical University of Denmark - DTU, Denmark, 11 days ago
We are seeking the ESR 11 (doctoral student) of our recently funded MSCA-ITN CATCHY project for ”Testing activity of small clusters to nanometer sized catalysts for methanol synthesis“ at SURFCAT....
5 Ph D Scholarships At The Center For Basic Machine Learning Research In Life Science (Mlls), University Of Copenhagen And The Technical University Of Denmark, University of Copenhagen, Denmark, about 20 hours ago
The Center for Basic Machine Learning Research in Life Science (MLLS) gathers machine learning researchers from the Departments of Biology and Computer Science, University of Copenhagen (UCPH) and...
Ph D Scholarship In Large Scale Structural Optimization For Hearing Systems , Technical University of Denmark ;, Denmark, about 1 month ago
DTU, the Department of Mechanical Engineering and the Center for Acoustic-Mechanical Microsystems (CAMM) invite highly motivated and talented graduates to apply for a 3-year PhD where you will exp...