DTU , Department of Mechanical Engineering , Section of Manufacturing Engineering would like to invite highly motivated and talented applications for a 3-year PhD position dealing with “Development of new composites and their industrial processing for advanced acoustic-mechanical applications”. The Section for Manufacturing Engineering performs theoretical, numerical, and experimental research in the field of manufacturing engineering. It covers a wide range of manufacturing processes and modelling approaches, metrology at all scales, micro/nano manufacturing, and additive manufacturing. The PhD project will be financed under the frame of CAMM collaboration. CAMM (Centre for Acoustic Mechanical Microsystems) is a multidisciplinary research centre running in collaboration with DTU, Department of Mechanical Engineering and Department of Electrical Engineering and financially supported by three Hearing Aid companies from Denmark – Oticon, GN Hearing and Widex.
The research field covered by the proposed PhD project is multidisciplinary in nature and will explore the scientific areas of material science and processing, engineering physics, vibroacoustics, modelling and simulation etc. The goal of this PhD project is to develop a novel holistic approach for the optimization of the vibroacoustic properties of advanced composite materials for highly demanding engineering applications (like in hearing aids, medical devices, loudspeakers, precision structural mechanics, etc.). The ultimate goal of the PhD project is to develop a systematic material design tool including industrially adaptive processing method that can precisely control the quality of composite materials in an engineering application in relation to their vibroacoustic performance incl. stiffness, damping and acoustic-mechanical interaction characteristics.
Responsibilities and tasks
In this multidisciplinary research project, you will learn and apply new theoretical and experimental methods for the successful design of composite materials and increase the fundamental understanding of the vibroacoustic performance of composite structures. Your research task will include:
- Develop a material design procedure including industrial processing techniques for the quick and easy customization of vibroacoustic performance for high-end acoustic-mechanical applications. Focus will be both on polymer and metal matrix composites and a comparative analysis will be made.
- Explore the effects of the physical and structural parameters of composites such as composition, porosity, density, surface roughness, thickness.
- Application of finite element analysis, process simulation, dynamic mechanic thermal analyser (DMTA), analysis of microstructure characteristics with transmission electron microscopy (TEM) and X-ray diffraction (XRD), image analysis by CT measurement, etc. The results from the experiments will be compared and validated with results from the simulation.
- Design and development of some application-oriented prototypes (e.g. Ear hooks and Shells for Hearing Aid application, microphones or speaker housing, etc.) with the designed composite materials to demonstrate the breakthrough made by the project.
- You are expected to contribute to DTU’s collaborations with the Danish Hearing Aid companies and help in the knowledge transfer from DTU to the CAMM’s industrial partners.
- You will engage in DTU’s teaching activities and supervise Bachelor and Master Project students.
- You will be responsible for the systematic planning and following up on your research project, compiling and storing your scientific data and to ensure the scientific integrity of your research.
- You will participate in international conferences, compose scientific manuscripts for publications and take part in outreach activities.
To apply, please read the full job advertisement at www.career.dtu.dk
Application deadline: 30 April 2020
Ph D Scholarship In Development Of New Composites And Their Industrial Processing For Advanced Acoustic Mechanical Applications, Technical University of Denmark, Denmark, about 21 hours ago
DTU, Department of Mechanical Engineering, Section of Manufacturing Engineering would like to invite highly motivated and talented applications for a 3-year PhD position dealing with “Development ...
Ph D Scholarship In Modelling, Optimization, And Characterization Of Microacoustic (Mems) Transducers, Technical University of Denmark, Denmark, about 21 hours ago
The Departments of Electrical Engineering and Mechanical Engineering, and the Centre for Acoustic-Mechanical Microsystems (CAMM) invite highly motivated and talented graduates to apply for a 3-yea...
Master/Ph.D. Fellowships And A Post Doctoral Researcher Position In Composite Science And... (# Of Pos: 3), Sabancı University Nanotechnology Research and Application Center, Turkey, 24 days ago
SUNUM is a Nanotechnology Research and Application Centre hosted by Sabancı University, Istanbul, Turkey. It is one of four Centers in the country that have recently been granted a special endorse...
Ph D Scholarship In Material And Process Parameter Development For Laser Powder Bed Fusion Of Thermoplastics, Technical University of Denmark, Denmark, 12 days ago
DTU, Department of Mechanical Engineering has an open PhD position in the field of Material- and process parameter development for Laser powder-bed fusion. The PhD project which is anchored at the...
Ph D Scholarship In Division Of Labor In Mixed Species Biofilms, Technical University of Denmark, Denmark, about 21 hours ago
We offer a PhD fellowship at Department of Biotechnology and Biomedicine (DTU Bioengineering) at the Technical University of Denmark. The PhD position is offered to strengthen collaboration with D...
Ph D Scholarship In Open Architecture Systems For Laser Powder Bed Fusion, Technical University of Denmark, Denmark, 12 days ago
DTU, Department of Mechanical Engineering has an open PhD position in the field of Open Architecture Systems for Laser powder-bed fusion. The PhD project which is anchored at the Section for Manuf...