DTU, Department of Mechanical Engineering, Section of Manufacturing Engineering would like to invite highly motivated and talented applications for a 3-year PhD position dealing with “Development of new composites and their industrial processing for advanced acoustic-mechanical applications”. The Section for Manufacturing Engineering performs theoretical, numerical, and experimental research in the field of manufacturing engineering. It covers a wide range of manufacturing processes and modelling approaches, metrology at all scales, micro/nano manufacturing, and additive manufacturing. The PhD project will be financed under the frame of CAMM collaboration. CAMM (Centre for Acoustic Mechanical Microsystems) is a multidisciplinary research centre running in collaboration with DTU, Department of Mechanical Engineering and Department of Electrical Engineering and financially supported by three Hearing Aid companies from Denmark – Oticon, GN Hearing and Widex.
The research field covered by the proposed PhD project is multidisciplinary in nature and will explore the scientific areas of material science and processing, engineering physics, vibroacoustics, modelling and simulation etc. The goal of this PhD project is to develop a novel holistic approach for the optimization of the vibroacoustic properties of advanced composite materials for highly demanding engineering applications (like in hearing aids, medical devices, loudspeakers, precision structural mechanics, etc.). The ultimate goal of the PhD project is to develop a systematic material design tool including industrially adaptive processing method that can precisely control the quality of composite materials in an engineering application in relation to their vibroacoustic performance incl. stiffness, damping and acoustic-mechanical interaction characteristics.
Responsibilities and tasks
In this multidisciplinary research project, you will learn and apply new theoretical and experimental methods for the successful design of composite materials and increase the fundamental understanding of the vibroacoustic performance of composite structures. Your research task will include:
- Develop a material design procedure including industrial processing techniques for the quick and easy customization of vibroacoustic performance for high-end acoustic-mechanical applications. Focus will be both on polymer and metal matrix composites and a comparative analysis will be made.
- Explore the effects of the physical and structural parameters of composites such as composition, porosity, density, surface roughness, thickness.
- Application of finite element analysis, process simulation, dynamic mechanic thermal analyser (DMTA), analysis of microstructure characteristics with transmission electron microscopy (TEM) and X-ray diffraction (XRD), image analysis by CT measurement, etc. The results from the experiments will be compared and validated with results from the simulation.
- Design and development of some application-oriented prototypes (e.g. Ear hooks and Shells for Hearing Aid application, microphones or speaker housing, etc.) with the designed composite materials to demonstrate the breakthrough made by the project.
- You are expected to contribute to DTU’s collaborations with the Danish Hearing Aid companies and help in the knowledge transfer from DTU to the CAMM’s industrial partners.
- You will engage in DTU’s teaching activities and supervise Bachelor and Master Project students.
- You will be responsible for the systematic planning and following up on your research project, compiling and storing your scientific data and to ensure the scientific integrity of your research.
- You will participate in international conferences, compose scientific manuscripts for publications and take part in outreach activities.
Candidates should have a two-year master's degree (120 ECTS points) or a similar degree with an academic level equivalent to a two-year master's degree in engineering, physics, material science, or related fields. Documented experience with composite materials, vibroacoustics, finite element methods, etc. will help in the positive evaluation. Preference will also be given to candidates who can document their ability for scientific publications. We also expect that:
- You have the ability to work focused and to achieve ambitious goals.
- You are willing to develop any required skills and knowledge.
- You are a good team player and proactive.
- You have excellent communication skills in English - both written and spoken.
Approval and Enrolment
The scholarship for the PhD degree is subject to academic approval, and the candidate will be enrolled in one of the general degree programmes at DTU. For information about our enrolment requirements and the general planning of the PhD study programme, please see the DTU PhD Guide
The assessment of the applicants will be made by Associate Professor Aminul Islam and Professor Jakob Søndergaard Jensen.
DTU is a leading technical university globally recognized for the excellence of its research, education, innovation and scientific advice. We offer a rewarding and challenging job in an international environment. We strive for academic excellence in an environment characterized by collegial respect and academic freedom tempered by responsibility.
Salary and appointment terms
The appointment will be based on the collective agreement with the Danish Confederation of Professional Associations. The allowance will be agreed upon with the relevant union. The period of employment is 3 years. You can read more about career paths at DTU here .
Further information may be obtained from Associate Professor Aminul Islam, [email protected] , tel.: +45 4525 4896 and Professor Jakob Søndergaard Jensen, [email protected] , tel.: +45 4525 4280.You can read more about Department of Mechanical Engineering at www.mek.dtu.dk/english .
You can read more about the Centre for Acoustic-Mechanical Microsystems at www.camm.elektro.dtu.dk .
Please submit your online application no later than 30 April 2020 (23:59 local time). Applications must be submitted as one PDF file containing all materials to be given consideration. To apply, please open the link "Apply online", fill out the online application form, and attach all your materials in English in one PDF file. The file must include:
- A letter motivating the application (cover letter)
- Curriculum vitae
- Grade transcripts and BSc/MSc diploma
- Excel sheet with translation of grades to the Danish grading system (see guidelines and Excel spreadsheet here )
- Optional documents - English proficiency certificate (for instance TOEFL or IELTS), list of publications and any other documents that demonstrates your experience in the related area of the proposed PhD project
Candidates may apply prior to obtaining their master's degree but cannot begin before having received it.
Applications and enclosures received after the deadline will not be considered.
All interested candidates irrespective of age, gender, race, disability, religion or ethnic background are encouraged to apply.
DTU Mechanical Engineering covers the fundamental engineering disciplines within Solid Mechanics, Fluid Mechanics, Coastal and Maritime Engineering, Energy Systems and Energy Conversion, Materials and Surface Engineering, Manufacturing Engineering, Engineering Design and Product Development. The Department has a scientific staff of about 135 persons, 100 PhD students and a technical/administrative support staff of about 80 persons.
Technology for people
DTU develops technology for people. With our international elite research and study programmes, we are helping to create a better world and to solve the global challenges formulated in the UN’s 17 Sustainable Development Goals. Hans Christian Ørsted founded DTU in 1829 with a clear vision to develop and create value using science and engineering to benefit society. That vision lives on today. DTU has 11,500 students and 6,000 employees. We work in an international atmosphere and have an inclusive, evolving, and informal working environment. Our main campus is in Kgs. Lyngby north of Copenhagen and we have campuses in Roskilde and Ballerup and in Sisimiut in Greenland.
Ph D Scholarship In Development Of New Composites And Their Industrial Processing For Advanced Acoustic Mechanical Applications , Technical University of Denmark ;, Denmark, 25 days ago
DTU , Department of Mechanical Engineering , Section of Manufacturing Engineering would like to invite highly motivated and talented applications for a 3-year PhD position dealing with “Developmen...
Ph D Scholarship In Turbo Expanders With Two Phase Expansion For Organic Rankine Cycle Power Systems , Technical University of Denmark ;, Denmark, 25 days ago
DTU, Technical University of Denmark , and Technion, Israel have recently started up an exciting, interdisciplinary collaboration project within the EuroTech alliance. We aim at designing innovati...
Ph D Scholarship In Machine Learning Assisted Modelling Of Atomic Resolution Electron Microscopy, Technical University of Denmark (DTU), Denmark, 8 days ago
The section for Computational Atomic-scale Materials Design (CAMD) at the Department of Physics is seeking an outstanding candidate for a position as PhD student. The main focus of CAMD is develop...
Ph D Scholarships In N Ext Generation Of Tunable La Sers For Optical Coherence Tomography (# Of Pos: 3), Technical University Of Denmark, Denmark, about 4 hours ago
The Nanophotonic Devices Group enables, designs, manufactures and characterizes optoelectronic and photonic devices for bio and health technology, communication technology, green and sustainable e...
Ph D Position In Dual Energy Ct And Pet/Ct Hypoxia Image Registration, Technical University Of Denmark, Denmark, 13 days ago
We are seeking a PhD student for 3 years to work on a project in dual energy CT and PET/CT image registration for visualization of hypoxia. The project is hosted jointly by the division of radioth...
Ph D Scholarship Physico Chemical Studies Of Peptide And Protein Self Assembly, Technical University of Denmark (DTU), Denmark, 27 days ago
<strong>General information</strong><br />The newly established research group of Prof. Alexander K. Buell (start April 2019) at DTU Bioengineering is recruiting a PhD student, to start as soon as...