Department of Science and Environment, Roskilde University, invites applications for a position as PhD of mathematical epidemiology from 01.10.2020 or as soon as possible thereafter. The position as PhD is limited to a period of 3 years.
Description of the PhD project
The title of the PhD project is:
Mathematical models of disease transmission dynamics in heterogeneous populations
Heterogeneity in host behavior and other epidemic properties plays a major role for disease transmission dynamics and mitigation of epidemics. In particular, to improve our understanding of the current CoV-2 we need to include new aspects of heterogeneity when modeling the pandemic. However, our current understanding of the phenomena is based primarily on computer simulations, and more conceptual and analytical approaches are need. This limits our ability to use modeling to assess the time evolution of the epidemic and the potential impact of pharmaceutical as well as non-pharmaceutical control measures.
The Ph.D. project aims at:
Identifying, analyzing and simulating central aspects of heterogeneity for which analytical approaches allows for an evaluation of their impact on disease transmission dynamics and where empirical data may be available. Modelling the impact of pharmaceutical and non-pharmaceutical interventions on the contact structure and the underlying transmission dynamics.
The Doctoral School
You will be enrolled as a PhD student at the Doctoral School of Science and Environment.
The Doctoral School of Science and Environment is an international graduate school that covers a broad range of research topics within the areas of science and environment. The scholarship is financed by the PandemiX project supported by the Carlsberg Foundation.
Read more here https://ruc.dk/doctoral-school-science-and-environment .
As a PhD student you will be associated with the research area ”mathematics and epidemiology” in Section of Mathematics and Physics (IMFUFA).
Responsibilities and tasks
The PhD position is an educational position and the main tasks are in accordance with chapter 3, Ministerial Order on the PhD Programme at the Universities and Certain Higher Artistic Educational Institutions (https://ufm.dk/en/legislation/prevailing-laws-and-regulations/education/files/engelsk-ph-d-bekendtgorelse.pdf),
You must hold a master’s degree or equivalent within mathematics, physics or statistics. Qualifications within the following areas are required
- Documented research experience with mathematical modeling and dynamical systems in epidemiology
- Excellent skills in computer programming and simulations
- Working experience with modern computational software
- Fluency in the Danish language; this is critically needed for data gathering and interpretation, and engaging with Danish health authorities
We also emphasize the following qualifications:
- Experience with working in a team towards a common goal
- Evidence of interest in epidemic disease dynamics
You are required to be enterprising, to possess good communication skills and to be a visible, involved participant in the department’s daily activities, in addition to being willing to engage in disciplinary and interdisciplinary collaboration across the department.
In the assessment, regarding employment consideration will be given to:
- Relevant Master’s degree or equivalent (according to Danish Qualifications Framework for Higher Education: https://ufm.dk/en/education/recognition-and-transparency/transparency-tools/qualifications-frameworks/other-qualifications-frameworks/danish-qf-for-higher-education?set_language=en&cl=en).
- Any additional academic requirements and qualifications stated above.
In the assessment, regarding enrollment consideration will also be given to the following criteria:
- Educational skills and any further professional qualifications
- Grades at Master’s programme or equivalent
- Quality and relevance of the project description
- Your project description shall be no more than 2 pages, including a brief introduction to the current State of dynamic disease modeling
- Consistency and coherence between the problem and the choice of method and theory
- If the PhD project seem realistic and feasible
- Ability to complete the PhD project
- Relevance of the project to the profile of the Doctoral School
For further information about the position, please contact associate professor Viggo Andreasen on tel. (+45) 46742542 or Dean Susanne Sørensen (+45) 46742111
Terms of employment
The employment is on full time, 37 hours per week and you will refer to Associate professor Viggo Andreasen.
The position will be filled according to the Agreement between the Danish Ministry of Finance and the Danish Confederation of Professional Associations (AC) and Job Structure for Academic Staff at Universities.
After the deadline for applications the Head of Department will shortlist applicants for assessment with assistance from the recruitment committee including the chairperson of the assessment committee.
Shortly after the application deadline all applicants will be notified whether or not their application has been selected for assessment.
The shortlisted applicants will be informed about the composition of the assessment committee, and each applicant will be given the opportunity to comment on the composition of the committee and - later on - their assessment.
Once the recruitment process is completed, all applicants will be informed of the outcome of their application.
To apply for the position go to www.ruc.dk/en/job/
Only applications in English are accepted, except for the PhD project description that should be in Danish.
Applications must include:
1. Cover letter
3. Documentation of education including grades from Master’s programme or equivalent
4. Written in Danish: Your description (maximum 2 pages) of the PhD project, including a brief introduction to the current State of dynamic disease modeling
5. Your time schedule of the PhD project
6. Documentation for any relevant research experience or publications.
Please submit your application no later than October 1, 2020
Material received after this date will not be taken into consideration.
Roskilde University wishes to reflect the diversity of society and welcomes applications from all qualified candidates regardless of personal background.
Ph D Student In Aquatic Ecotoxicology, Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences, Sweden, 4 days ago
Department of Wildlife, Fish, and Environmental Studies Department of Wildlife, Fish and Enviromental Studies, The Swedish University of agricultural sciences (SLU) and Department of Science and E...
Ph D Scholarship In Artificial Intelligence For Demand Side Load Prediction And Scheduling , University of Southern Denmark, Denmark, about 14 hours ago
Center for Energy Informatics at University of Southern Denmark invites applications for a 3-year PhD scholarship in collaboration with the Sino-Danish Center in Beijing, China. The starting date ...
Ph D Position Seismic Property Characterisation For Stratigraphic Architecture Analysis And Static..., Delft University of Technology (TU Delft), Netherlands, 5 days ago
In this project, you will create a series of simplified 2D and 3D numerical models of both fluvial and deltaic systems built using forward modelling tools. The numerical models will include 3D sed...
Declaration Of Interest Regarding Ph D Project: Health Geographics – Pesticides In Drinking Water And Leukaemia , University of Southern Denmark, Denmark, about 14 hours ago
The National Institute of Public Health at SDU is looking for applicants for a PhD scholarship within the field of health geographics – pesticides in drinking water and leukaemia. We are looking f...
Ph D Fellow In Theoretical Catalysis, University of Copenhagen, Denmark, about 20 hours ago
Center for High Entropy Alloy Catalysis Department of Chemistry Faculty of Science University of Copenhagen Department of Chemistry, Faculty of Science at University of Copenhagen is offering a Ph...
Ph D Scholarship In Materials For Heterogeneous Catalysis, Technical University of Denmark, Denmark, 1 day ago
A PhD fellowship is now available in the Centre for Catalysis and Sustainable Chemistry (CSC) at DTU Chemistry, Technical University of Denmark. CSC is applying an application-oriented research st...