Department of Social Sciences and Business (ISE), Roskilde University, invites applications for a position as PhD of Computational Social Science from 1st of March 2020 or as soon as possible thereafter. The position as PhD is limited to a period of 3 years.
Description of the PhD project
The PhD students will be part of the cross-disciplinary Centre for Big Data at Roskilde University. The Centre for Big Data (CeBiDa) is an interdisciplinary research centre focusing on big data analytics, methodologies, modelling, big data learning and visualisations of big data in different contexts. It combines research across natural science, humanities, social science and technical sciences. For this scholarship, we are looking for a PhD student who is interested in and qualified to undertake Computational Social Science research applying data science and data management, big data, network analysis, social simulation, text mining/language processing, and/or machine learning/algorithmic social science.
Areas of interest include (but are not limited to):
- Big data and behavioural public policy
- Big data analysis of text (e.g. political, legal, case records)
- Network analysis of social movements
- Predictive modelling for public policy and administration or for business
- Business intelligence/Management information systems
- Consumer big data’s potential in business/economic forecasting models
- Big data analysis of citizen-generated data of conflicts
- Poverty mapping in developing countries using big data
The Doctoral School
You will be enrolled as a PhD student at the Doctoral School of Social Sciences & Business (ISE). The school provides PhD training and research within an interdisciplinary, international, and professional environment.
The Doctoral School is part of a dynamic community of researchers who share a commitment to understanding society in diverse contexts of change and global engagement. Researchers come from all over the world and engage in topics that are geographically, theoretically and methodologically diverse.
You will be enrolled as a PhD student in one of our four the PhD programs, i.e. International Studies, Business Studies, Social Studies and Public Administration and Politics, at the Doctoral School of Social Sciences and Business: https://ruc.dk/doctoral-school-social-sciences-and-business
ISE conducts interdisciplinary, collaborative and socially engaged research based on political science, anthropology, business studies, economics, sociology, legal studies, and development studies. The Department hosts an innovative and interdisciplinary university environment characterized by academic and methodological diversity in research and education. Researchers at ISE share a commitment to understanding society and businesses in diverse contexts of change and global engagement. We produce research at the highest international level that feeds into our educational programmes and leverages into social, economic and political change.
Responsibilities and tasks
The PhD position is an educational position and the main tasks are in accordance with chapter 3, Ministerial Order on the PhD Programme at the Universities and Certain Higher Artistic Educational Institutions (https://ufm.dk/en/legislation/prevailing-laws-and-regulations/education/files/engelsk-ph-d-bekendtgorelse.pdf),
You must hold a master’s degree or equivalent within social science or business science. Qualifications within the following areas are required
- Previous experience in Computational Social Science and knowledge of relevant techniques is an advantage.
- You are required to be enterprising and to possess good interpersonal and communicative skills and to be a visible, active participant in the department’s daily activities, in addition to being willing to engage in disciplinary and interdisciplinary collaboration across the department.
In the assessment regarding employment consideration will be given to;
- Relevant Master’s degree or equivalent (according to Danish Qualifications Framework for Higher Education: https://ufm.dk/en/education/recognition-and-transparency/transparency-tools/qualifications-frameworks/other-qualifications-frameworks/danish-qf-for-higher-education?set_language=en&cl=en).
- Any additional academic requirements stated in the job advertisement.
In the assessment regarding enrollment consideration will also be given to the following criteria:
- Educational skills and any further professional qualifications
- Top grades at Master’s programme or equivalent
- Quality and relevance of the project description
- Considerations regarding ethical aspects shall be included in your project description
- Your project description shall be no more than 5 pages
- Quality and relevance of the methodical and theoretical choices
- Consistency and coherence between the problem and the choice of method and theory
- If the PhD project seem realistic and feasible
- Ability to complete the PhD project
- Relevance of the project to the profile of the Doctoral School
For further information about the position, please contact head of department Peter kragelund on tel. (+45) 46743335, firstname.lastname@example.org or for technical or administrative questions contact PhD coordinator Annika Mogensen, +4574 3499, email@example.com
Terms of employment
The employment is on full time 37 hours per week and you will refer to Head of Department Peter Kragelund.
The position will be filled according to the Agreement between the Danish Ministry of Finance and the Danish Confederation of Professional Associations (AC) and Job Structure for Academic Staff at Universities.
Ph D Stipend In The Microbial Diversity In Denmark (18 19081), Aalborg University, Denmark, 3 days ago
At the Faculty of Engineering and Science, Department of Chemistry and Bioscience a PhD stipend is available within the PhD programme of Biotechnology, Chemistry and Environmental Engineering. The...
Ph D Scholarship In Modelling Of Bicyclist´S Behaviour, Technical University of Denmark, Denmark, about 6 hours ago
DTU Management at the Technical University of Denmark invites applications for a 3-year PhD position in the Network Modelling group in the Transport division of the Department of Technology, Manag...
Ph D Project In Postquantum Cryptology, Technical University of Denmark, Denmark, about 6 hours ago
DTU Compute’s Sections for Cyber Security, would like to invite applications for a 3-year PhD position starting February 1, 2020 (or according to mutual agreement). The project is financed by Dani...
Ph D Stipend In Saline Biomass Biorefinery (14 19074), Aalborg University, Denmark, 17 days ago
At the Faculty of Engineering and Science, Department of Energy Technology a PhD stipend is available within the general study program Energy Technology. The stipend is open for appointment from 1...
Ph D Stipend In Development Of Novel Dna Sequencing Based Approaches To Characterise Microbial Communities (18 19082), Aalborg University, Denmark, 3 days ago
At the Faculty of Engineering and Science, Department of Chemistry and Bioscience a PhD stipend is available within the general study programme of Biotechnology, Chemistry and Environmental Engine...
Ph D Positions For Industry 4.0 Laboratory Initiative At University Of Southern Denmark, Syddansk University, Netherlands, about 3 hours ago
The SDU Software Engineering at the Maersk Mc-Kinney Moller Institute , University of Southern Denmark , invites applications for four 3-year PhD positions in Software Engineering. The positions ...