PhD study programme: Physiology, Pathological Physiology, Medical Chemistry and Biochemistry
Form of the study: PhD full-time study
Workplace: Department of Physiology, Faculty of Medicine, Masaryk University
Supervisor: Assoc. Prof. Markéta Bébarová, MD, PhD
Idiopathic ventricular fibrillation is a life-threatening disease with uncertain prognosis. Unknown cause of development of ventricular fibrillation significantly complicates its treatment. Despite absence of clinical symptoms of an arrhythmogenic disorder (beside the episode(s) of ventricular fibrillation), genetic variants in various genes including genes encoding structure of the cardiac ionic channels can be identified in some patients suffering with this disease. The content of this study will be to assess impact of a selected variant identified in a concrete patient with idiopathic ventricular fibrillation on the channel function (whole cell patch clamp technique, microelectrode array and other techniques, if necessary; experiments on human cardiac ionic channels expressed in a cell line and/or on patient-specific human induced pluripotent stem cells-derived cardiomyocytes). Th goal of this dissertation will be to explain development of arrhythmia in the selected variant and to estimate the risk arising from carrying the variant based on changes of electrophysiological properties of the studied cardiac ionic channel.
Grant Support: Grant Agency of MU – Specific Research, external grant project submitted
Availability of Workload or Project Financing (beyond the scholarship from MU):
Scholarship from the Specific Research at MU, workload from a grant project if assigned. Workload from the institutional budget is at discretion of the head of the department after the student is involved in teaching.
Brief requirements for the student according to current requirements of the doctoral board:
- completion of compulsory courses
- completion of compulsory internship abroad (at least 1 month-stay) or participation in an international project with results published/presented abroad or other form of direct participation on an international cooperation
- at least one first author publication in a journal with IF above the median IF in the field (or two first author publication in a journal with IF in Q3)
- participation in teaching of undergraduate students
- good passive as well as active knowledge of English
- basic knowledge of Czech beneficial
Supervisor: Assoc. Prof. Markéta Bébarová, MD, PhD (email@example.com )
- publication activity: 44 papers in extenso (29 in journals with IF - 25 original research papers and 4 review papers), h-index 10
- grant projects: e.g. AZV (16-30571A; 2016-2020); IGA MZd (NT14301-3/2013; 2013-2015); Grant Agency of MU (e.g. MUNI/A/1246/2020, MUNI/A/1307/2019); Internal Project of LF MU (MUNI/11/SUP/07/2020, MUNI/11/SUP/18/2020)
- international cooperation in the field of study: prof. Paul G.A. Volders, dr. Jordi Heijman (Maastricht University, Maastricht, Netherlands), Dr. Georges Christé (Inserm, Lyon, France)
- supervised PhD students/PhD graduates: 2/0
Ph D On The Erc Consolidator Project: Boosting Metabolism In T Cells, Academic Medical Center (AMC), Netherlands, 5 days ago
Within the department of Experimental Immunology and Hematology, we are currently looking for a motivated and enthusiastic PhD candidate to join our highly committed team of scientists and hematol...
Ph D Candidate Orthopedic Surgery, School Caphri, Maastricht University / Mumc+, Maastricht University, Netherlands, about 6 hours ago
PhD-candidate Orthopedic Surgery, School CAPHRI, Maastricht University / MUMC+ PhD-candidate Orthopedic Surgery, School CAPHRI, Maastricht University / MUMC+ Published Deadline Location yesterday ...
Ph D Studentship: Sodium Ion Capacitors For High Power Energy Storage , Coventry University ;, United Kingdom, 4 days ago
Global efforts to mitigate and limit the impact of climate change and to move to an environmentally sustainable future necessitate the development of new and improved energy storage technologies. ...
Ph D In Molecular Microbiology, Infection Mechanisms Of Archaeal Viruses 1.0 Fte, University of Groningen, Netherlands, 2 days ago
The research group ‘Biology of Archaea and Viruses’ is studying infection mechanisms of archaeal viruses. Archaea are ubiquitous microorganisms that form a separate domain of life. Compared with b...
Engineering Post Doctoral Position To Advance Single Organoid Analysis , ETH Zurich, Switzerland, about 23 hours ago
In der aktuellen Covid-19 Situation laufen die Rekrutierungen weiter. Es kann dabei allerdings zu Verzögerungen kommen. Vielen Dank für Ihr Verständnis. 100%, Zurich, fixed-term This project is pa...
Postdoctoral Position In Regulation Of Gene Expression And Molecular Carcinogenesis Group , Masaryk University, Czech, 7 days ago
CEITEC is a scientific centre in the fields of life sciences, advanced materials and technologies whose aim is to establish itself as a recognized centre for basic as well as applied research. CEI...