23 Aug 2023
Institute of Physics of the Czech Academy of Sciences
- Research Field
Chemistry » Physical chemistry
Chemistry » Other
Physics » Applied physics
Physics » Chemical physics
Physics » Electronics
Physics » Other
- Researcher Profile
Recognised Researcher (R2)
First Stage Researcher (R1)
- Application Deadline
29 Sep 2023 - 22:00 (UTC)
- Type of Contract
- Job Status
- Offer Starting Date
1 Jan 2024
- Is the job funded through the EU Research Framework Programme?
Not funded by an EU programme
- Is the Job related to staff position within a Research Infrastructure?
FZU – Institute of Physics of the Czech Academy of Sciences is a leading public research institution located in Prague, Czechia. FZU is the largest institute of the Czech Academy of Sciences with more than 1100 employees. FZU pursues high-quality, innovative, and ground-breaking research. Our primary mission is to understand and explain the basic phenomena and processes of this world and respond to the current scientific and technical challenges of society.
We are currently looking for an enthusiastic and highly-motivated PhD candidate or postdoctoral researcher with expertise in silicon anode materials who wants to push forward frontiers in material synthesis and energy storage technologies.
Join the Nanoscale Materials and Systems (NMS) group at FZU and be at the forefront of cutting-edge battery technologies. You will be a key player in developing silicon-based anode materials for the future generation of Li-ion batteries. The successful candidate (m/f) will engage in material synthesis, harnessing the unique physical and electrochemical properties of novel Si nanomaterials in advanced energy storage technologies. You will contribute to the development of innovative battery solutions and address real-world challenges with the potential to reshape the global energy storage industry.
What you will do:
- Conduct experiments in the interdisciplinary area of battery research at the boundary of material science, electrochemistry, physics, and engineering
- Synthesize novel electrode materials (Si nanomaterials and hybrid silicon/carbon materials) and electrolytes (aqueous, ionic-liquid, and solid-state)
- Develop and characterise new electrochemical energy storage devices (batteries and supercapacitors)
- Analyse data, maintain laboratory instruments and implement new techniques/processes
- Foster collaboration and communication with other international partners, group members, students, and FZU staff
- Train/supervise students and other laboratory users
- Write research papers and present results at conferences
- Master’s degree in physics, chemistry, engineering, or an equivalent combination of related education and relevant experience
- Theoretical and experimental background in nanomaterials and electrochemistry
- Previous experience with silicon synthesis, electrochemical characterisation, electrode fabrication, and electrochemical cell assembly is beneficial
- Capacity to conduct research, develop innovative ideas, and drive projects forward
- Creative thinking and proactive problem solving
- Ability to collaborate effectively with a diverse team of researchers and students
- Eager to learn and share knowledge
- Excellent communication skills
- Excellent organization and time management skills
- Good knowledge of English (written and spoken)
- Interesting work in cutting-edge research and development of new energy storage materials and devices
- Access to state-of-the-art research facilities (plasma enhanced chemical vapor deposition (PECVD), atomic layer deposition (ALD), electrochemical characterization setups, battery testers, impedance spectroscopy, operando Raman spectroscopy, EQCM, and XRD, elemental analysis (XPS and EDS), advanced electron microscopy facilities (SEM and TEM), and surface analytical tools (AFM/SPM)
- A competitive salary
- Participation in multidisciplinary scientific projects
- Working in an international team and a stimulating environment
- Training and development (seminars, workshops, conferences, high-quality language courses, soft skills training)
- Support of your work-life balance – flexible work hours, work from home, extended vacations
- In-house tennis/volleyball courts, table tennis
- And many more benefits such as a Multisport card, meal allowance, kindergarten operated by the Czech Academy of Sciences
Terms of employment:
- Start of employment 1st January 2024
- 1-year contract (possible extension up to 4 years upon mutual agreement)
We expect applications by: 30th September 2023
Interested candidates are invited to apply by sending the following documents to Mrs. Monika Svobodova at email@example.com
- A cover letter detailing career objectives and research interests
- Curriculum vitae (CV) including a list of publications
- Two reference letters
- Transcripts of degrees/diplomas
For additional information, please get in touch with Dr. Jiri Cervenka (firstname.lastname@example.org ).
Information regarding personal data processing and access to personal data at the Institute of Physics of the Czech Academy of Sciences:
- Number of offers available
- Institute of Physics of the Czech Academy of Sciences
- Czech Republic
Where to apply
Ph D Position – Three Dimensional Characterization Of Metal Electrodes By X Ray Tomography, Forschungszentrum Jülich, Germany, about 3 hours ago
Your Job: In pursuit of better energy storage solutions, IEK-9 is researching novel battery systems such as metal-air utilizing environmentally friendly, cheap, abundant materials (e.g. Zinc or Ir...
Ph D Scholarship In Micro Single Chamber Solid Oxide Cells For Io T Applications Dtu Energy, Technical University of Denmark, Denmark, 24 days ago
Are you interested in nanotechnologies and innovative energy solutions? Are you wondering what the future energy technologies will be? At DTU Energý, we continuously strive for innovative energy s...
Ph D Position Advancement Of The Integrated Battery Electrolyser For Renewable Electricity Storage And Conversion To Hydrogen, Delft University of Technology, Netherlands, 7 days ago
Advancement of the integrated battery-electrolyser for renewable electricity storage and conversion to hydrogen. The integrated nickel-iron battery and alkaline electrolyser is meant for storage o...
Ph D Student In "Nanostructured Light Activated Antimicrobial Materials" (A), Empa, Switzerland, about 7 hours ago
Materials science and technology are our passion. With our cutting-edge research, Empa's around 1,100 employees make essential contributions to the well-being of society for a future worth living....
Ph D Student In Chemistry Of Interfaces, Lulea University of Technology, Sweden, about 17 hours ago
Luleå University of Technology is in strong growth with world-leading competence in several research areas. We shape the future through innovative education and ground-breaking research results, a...
Ph D Student Position In Applied Ai/Ml And Modelling Of Battery Materials, Chalmers University of Technology, Sweden, about 1 hour ago
Would you like to work at Chalmers within a very challenging and ultimately rewarding project? Join our nice team at Materials Physics and Johansson Research Group to explore AI/ML applied to fund...