13 May 2023
Biology Centre CAS
- Research Field
Biological sciences » Biology
- Researcher Profile
First Stage Researcher (R1)
- Application Deadline
1 Aug 2023 - 00:00 (Europe/Prague)
- Type of Contract
- Job Status
- Hours Per Week
- Is the job funded through the EU Research Framework Programme?
Not funded by an EU programme
- Is the Job related to staff position within a Research Infrastructure?
Biology Centre CAS, Ceske Budejovice, Czech Republic opens a PhD position for the Laboratory Insect Diapause at the Institute of Entomology.
The Kostal Lab (Lab of Insect Diapause) is seeking a PhD student with a focus in environmental and thermal physiology of insects. The successful applicant will work on a Czech Science Foundation-funded project to investigate the differences in metabolic capacities to accumulate cryoprotective molecules in 40 drosophilid species originating from tropical to subarctic regions. The project uses broadly integrative approach combining experiments on diversity and evolutionary trade-offs, adaptive meaning, and physiological mechanisms of cryoprotection focusing on mitochondrial membrane composition, integrity and function upon cold stress. The project includes extensive work with state-of-the-art metabolomics platforms (GC/LC-MS, MALDI TOF), high resolution respirometry (Oroboros Oxygraph), and electron microscopy (cryo-SEM, TEM). The project includes interactions with other labs at BC CAS or in Czech Republic and is based on close collaboration with Johannes Overgaard group, University of Aarhus, Denmark (an opportunity for research visit).
More about the lab and its research: https://www.entu.cas.cz/en/departments/department-of-biochemistry-and-physiology/laboratory-of-insect-diapause/
- Research Field
- Biological sciences » Biology
- Education Level
- Master Degree or equivalent
• Master’s degree.
• Interest in the physiology of insects.
• Enthusiasm for working in the lab and learning new techniques.
• Ability to work independently.
• Fluency in spoken and written English.
• Previous experience of work in physiology/biochemistry/molecular biology lab.
• Practice in metabolomics, and/or respirometry, and/or microscopy techniques.
• Experience with scientific publishing in the above fields.
We offer you:
• An exciting research project
• Research stays in our collaborating laboratories
• Further financial support
• Subsidized lunches in our own canteen
• Standard health insurance and social security
• Benefits from Social fund and student benefits
• Working in a stable, prestigious research institution of international importance
• Welcome service and further support for foreigners (HR Award)
• Friendly & stimulating international working environment
• Work-life balance in a middle-sized university city offering options for outdoor, sport & cultural activities
• Free language classes (Czech for foreigners, English for Czechs)
• Opportunity to take part in mentoring programmes as a mentor or a mentee
The Biology Centre CAS holds the HR Award. Our selection process meets European standards for recruitment of researchers (https://www.bc.cas.cz/en/employees/candidates/otm-r/ ) and we provide our employees from abroad with welcome service (visa application, administration, relocation & settlement support). Gender equality plan (https://www.bc.cas.cz/en/about-us/gender-equality/ ) has been accepted in 2022.
Interested candidates should apply by submitting the following documents and information via the REPLY button on the official job site (see Where to apply):
• Curriculum Vitae (CV)
• List of 2-3 referees that can testify about the professional qualities of the candidate
• Letter of intent that explains the reasons for your interest in our laboratory and identifies your most relevant skills or experiences
The Institute of Entomology (https://www.entu.cas.cz/en/homepage/ ) is one of five research Institutes of the Biology Centre - a vibrant international community of ca 300 scientists plus ca 150 PhD students. The Institute offers a dynamic, diverse, and well-equipped mentoring environment, with opportunities for development of collaborations and own side projects.
The PhD program at the Institute of Entomology runs in close collaboration with the Faculty of Science of the University of South Bohemia (https://prf.jcu.cz/en/ ), which provides the stipend, the necessary legal frame, and also organizes specialized courses for PhD students.
The successful applicant will start any time between September 2023 and June 2024, as mutually agreed upon. The PhD program is for 3-4 years. The salary, which comfortably covers living expenses in the Czech Republic, will be composed of stipend from the University of South Bohemia and part time employment at Institute of Entomology BC CAS, including full health coverage.
Further information about the position may be obtained through e-mail: Vladimir Kostal, email@example.com .
The Biology Centre is located in České Budějovice (2 hours south of the capital Prague), a middle-sized city with ca. 100K inhabitants, relaxed atmosphere, over 750 years of tradition and a breathtaking countryside around. Both the town and the surrounding countryside provide numerous opportunities for research and leisure activities. There is also a growing international expert community at the Biology Centre CAS (BC CAS, https://www.bc.cas.cz/en/ ) and the University of South Bohemia (USB, https://www.jcu.cz/en/ ). In addition, the living costs are still low by international standards. Check out our Guide for Expats (https://www.bc.cas.cz/en/employees/ ) to read about life in the city and the Czech Republic.
- Website for additional job details
- Number of offers available
- Biology Centre CAS
- Czech Republic
Where to apply
- Postal Code
Ph D Studentship In Medieval History In The Dissident Networks Project , ;, United Kingdom, 25 days ago
Closes: 4 December 2023 23:59 (CET – Prague) The Dissident Networks Project (DISSINET, https://dissinet.cz/ ) - an ERC Consolidator Grant-funded research initiative based at Masaryk University (Br...
Ph D Position. Subject Area Biology, Emphasis Chemical Ecology., Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences, Sweden, about 20 hours ago
Department of Plant Protection Biology The Department of Plant Protection is an interdisciplinary constellation with good opportunities for strong research collaboration within and outside the dep...
Ph D Student (F,M,Div) In Chemical Ecology Of Plant Biotic Interactions, Leibniz, Germany, about 20 hours ago
With its work, the Leibniz Institute of Vegetable and Ornamental Crops (IGZ) contributes to a better understanding of plant systems and thus to the development of sustainable and resilient horticu...
Ph D Student (M/F/D) In Plant Biochemistry, Leibniz, Germany, about 20 hours ago
The Leibniz Institute of Plant Biochemistry (IPB) in Halle (Saale), Germany, offers a three-year position in the project TERRAPHOS within the frame of the DFG-funded Priority Program 2237 “MAdLand...
Phd Student In Biology Or Animal Science Reindeer Husbandry, Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences, Sweden, about 20 hours ago
Department of Animal Nutrition and Management The Department of Animal nutrition and management (HUV) offers an inspiring research environment where we conduct basic and applied research on feed, ...
Ph D Position – Method Development Of Cryogenic 4 D Stem Imaging, Helmholtz, Germany, about 8 hours ago
Your Job: At the ER-C-3, the Structural Biology department of the ER-C, we use a comprehensive electron microscopy approach to study the biological structures of membrane-associated protein comple...