The Dean of Faculty of Social Studies
OPENS A POSITION
Postdoc or PhD student in sociology / social anthropology / migration studies
Working time: full time
Start date: June 2023 (negotiable)
Application deadline: 17. 4. 2023
We are seeking a highly motivated researcher for a postdoctoral or doctoral position in sociology, social anthropology or migration studies for the European project „Decision making of Aspiring (Re)Migrants to/within the EU: The case of labour market-leading migrations from Asia (AspirE)”, funded by the European Commission (HORIZON-CL2-2022-TRANSFORMATIONS-01-04).
About the project:
Despite the global COVID-19 pandemic, Europe continues to be a major destination for transnational migrants, notably from Asia and Africa. The way in which this phenomenon has been unfolding underlines the urgent need to further conceptualise transnational migration by analysing the decision-making of aspiring (re)migrants. This scholarly enterprise is critically important as mainstream migration theories put more of a focus on broader social processes and dynamics, thereby overlooking the human aspects of migration. Basing itself on several migration theories in various disciplines, this proposal adopts a framework that humanises research on (non-)migration decision-making, i.e. highlighting its human aspects in three ways: engendering, decolonising and situating the analysis in temporal, psychological, relational and social contexts. As a case study, the AspirE research project will examine the decision-making of aspiring (re)migrants from selected Southeast and East Asian countries (China, Japan, Philippines, Thailand, Vietnam) to and within selected EU member countries (Belgium, the Czech Republic, Germany, Italy, Portugal, Finland). These migrants are oriented towards the EU labour markets where they are concentrated in ethnic niches. Employing qualitative and participatory research methodologies, the study will map the extent to which spatial mobility policies at the EU and national levels take into account aspiring (re)migrants’ behaviour, identify the micro- and mesolevel drivers of (re)migration aspiration and/or intention and determine the temporality of aspiring (re)migrants’ decision-making. The results of this project will provide concrete information as to how individuals’ migration decisions change over time and on the specific stage at which mobility policies are more likely to play a role in shaping migration outcomes, which will enhance EU migration policies.
Primary duties will be the participation and support to the ASPIRE project. The postdoctoral or doctoral researcher will be involved in the following tasks:
- Coordinating and managing daily tasks of the project, meetings with the project partners, and organisation of the project events (public consultation, interviews, workshops);
- Compiling literature review and relevant documentation for the project;
- conducting and transcribing interviews, developing video diaries and conducting focus group discussions with Vietnamese migrants in the Czech Republic;
- Development of methodological tools for qualitative data collection and digital ethnography;
- General support to the project execution through production of reports and documents on results, and dissemination of the project activities and findings;
- Engaging in writing and submitting scientific papers;
- Participating in project events and meetings in Europe.
- Candidates must hold a PhD or study PhD in the area of Social Sciences or Humanities;
- Experience with qualitative research projects;
- Knowledge in English language;
- Willingness to learn;
- Ability to work autonomously on the research topic;
- Ability to work in a team, problemsolving skills, time-management skills, thoroughness, perseverance;
- Full-time job (40 hours per week) in Brno;
- Flexibility in working hours, home office;
- 50,000 - 55,000 CZK/month gross salary (median wage in the Czech Republic: 35,000 CZK);
- Job offer for one year (until December 2023) with an expected extension until December 2025 (or longer) upon mutual satisfaction with the first year;
- The background of a prestigious and successful institution;
- Work on large international research project
- Active support for professional and personal development (knowledge and experience sharing in the team, summer schools or workshops, support in grant applications, a wide range of activities supported by the university - language courses, sports activities etc.);
- Six weeks (30 working days) of vacation;
- Office located in the center of Brno, a city ranked among top ten student cities worldwide according to student view (https://www.em.muni.cz/en/news/10592-student-view-brno-is-one-of-the-top-5-cities-in-the-world), famous (among others) for its coffee culture; for further information about Brno, please visit https://brnoregion.com/work.
- letter of motivation describing previous research experience and interest in the position, research interests and future career plans;
- detailed Curriculum Vitae;
- list of publications;
- copy of the doctoral qualifications certificate.
Please use the electronic application form to apply for the competition.
Ph D Student, Biofyzikální ústav Akademie věd ČR, v. v. i., Czech, 26 days ago
4 Sep 2023 Job Information Organisation/Company Biofyzikální ústav Akademie věd ČR, v. v. i. Research Field Biological sciences » Biology Researcher Profile First Stage Researcher (R1) Country Cze...
Ph Ds In Microeconomics/Behavioural And Experimental Economics, Masaryk University - Faculty of Economics and Administration, Czech, 19 days ago
11 Sep 2023 Job Information Organisation/Company Masaryk University - Faculty of Economics and Administration Department Department of Economics Research Field Economics » Microeconomics Economics...
Ph Ds In Public Economics, Masaryk University - Faculty of Economics and Administration, Czech, 19 days ago
11 Sep 2023 Job Information Organisation/Company Masaryk University - Faculty of Economics and Administration Department Department of Public Economics Research Field Economics » Administrative sc...
Ph Ds In Transport And/Or Competitive Economics, Masaryk University - Faculty of Economics and Administration, Czech, 19 days ago
11 Sep 2023 Job Information Organisation/Company Masaryk University - Faculty of Economics and Administration Department Department of Economics Research Field Economics » Transport economics Econ...
One Ph D Student Position Is Available In Mechanistic Environmental Toxicology, Masaryk University - Faculty of Science – RECETOX, Czech, 18 days ago
12 Sep 2023 Job Information Organisation/Company Masaryk University - Faculty of Science – RECETOX Research Field Environmental science » Other Chemistry » Biochemistry Researcher Profile First St...
Ph Ds In Business Management With Specialization In Digital Marketing Or Customer Satisfaction, Masaryk University - Faculty of Economics and Administration, Czech, 19 days ago
11 Sep 2023 Job Information Organisation/Company Masaryk University - Faculty of Economics and Administration Department Department of Business Management Research Field Economics » Marketing Econ...