The PhD in Medical Sciences:
The University of Nicosia Medical School offers the degree PhD in Medical Sciences in Epidemiology and Public Health. The degree is awarded to students who successfully complete an independent research programme that breaks new ground in the chosen field of study. The PhD programme aspires to empower students to become independent researchers, thus advancing innovation and development.
The Research Project:
We are currently inviting applications through a competitive process for high calibre candidates to apply for one PhD Scholarship for a project in the field of Epidemiology and Public Health. The successful candidate will enrol on the PhD programme in Medical Sciences and will work under the Supervision of Dr Elena Critselis, Associate Professor in Epidemiology and Public Health, Head of the Department of Primary Care and Population Health, and Msc in Health Services Administration (MSc in HSA) Program Director at the University of Nicosia Medical School.
Research Project Title: Efficacy of dietary supplement use in cancer survivorship care: Meta-analysis for guiding evidence-based patient care.
Background, rationale and objectives: Current nutritional management guidelines for cancer survivors aim to support long-term cancer survivors through the adoption of a healthful diet, a physically active lifestyle, and healthy weight management. Dietary supplement use in cancer survivors is an emerging controversial concern since conclusive evidence supporting its efficacy in cancer survivorship is lacking. The successful candidate will conduct a two-part project for evaluating the efficacy of dietary supplement use in cancer survivors so as to guide evidence-based patient care. Specifically, for the first part of the project, the successful candidate will conduct meta-analyses in prospective cohort studies and/or randomized clinical trials for assessing the efficacy of dietary supplement use in cancer survivors. For the second part of the project, the successful candidate will assess the current evidence levels for further guiding evidence-based dietary supplement use in cancer survivorship care.
The Scholarship will have a duration of three to four years and will cover:
- The tuition fees for the PhD programme which are €13,500 in total for the first 3 years and €1,500 for year 4.
Requirements and Qualifications:
- Eligible candidates should hold (or hold by the time that the programme is expected to commence i.e. October 2022) a recognised degree (a Bachelor’s degree (BSc) or a degree equivalent for entry to a Master’s Degree, preferably in Dietetics or Nutritional Sciences, Epidemiology, Biostatistics, Public Health and/or related Health Sciences field) and a Master’s degree (MSc or MPH, preferably in Dietetics or Nutritional Sciences, Epidemiology, Biostatistics, Public Health and/or Health Sciences related field) or a Doctor of Medicine degree (e.g. MBBS or MD degree).
- Candidates with demonstrated academic and/or professional experience in the fields of nutritional support for cancer prevention and/or care will be preferred.
Application for the PhD Scholarship:
Candidates should submit an online application through this link and upload the following supporting documents:
- A cover letter clearly stating that they apply for the PhD Scholarship in the field of Epidemiology and Public Health for the Research Project ‘Efficacy of dietary supplement use in cancer survivorship care: Meta-analysis for guiding evidence-based patient care.’
- Copies of the applicant’s qualifications/degree(s) – the application can be assessed with scanned copies, but certified true copies must be provided if the candidate is successful and prior to enrolment on the PhD programme.
- Copies of the applicant’s transcript(s) - the application can be assessed with scanned copies, but certified true copies must be provided if the candidate is successful and prior to enrolment on the PhD programme.
- Proof of English language proficiency such as IELTS with a score of 7 overall and with a minimum score of 7 in writing or TOEFL iBT with a score of 94 overall and a minimum score of 27 in Writing. Other internationally recognized English language qualifications might be considered upon review. Students from the UK, Ireland USA, Canada (from English speaking provinces), Australia and New Zealand are exempt from the English language requirement.
- Two reference letters, of which at least one should be from an academic.
- A full Curriculum Vitae (CV).
Applications should be submitted by Friday, July 29, 2022 at 5pm. Please use Ref. Num. B3 next to your surname when you start your application e.g., Name Surname B3.
Only fully completed applications, containing all necessary supporting documents will be reviewed. Only candidates who are shortlisted will be contacted and invited to an interview.
German Cancer Research Center (Dkfz): International Ph D Programme , DAAD, Germany, about 16 hours ago
Overview Eine Druckversion dieser Ausschreibung (PDF) steht Ihnen in den weiteren Registerkarten (z.B. „Bewerbungsvoraussetzungen“) zur Verfügung. A print version of this announcement (PDF) is ava...
Ph D Position On Nutrition, And Brain And Liver, Within The Faculty Of Health, Medicine And Life Sciences, Nutrim Department Of Nutrition And Movement Sciences, Maastricht University, Netherlands, 15 days ago
PhD position on nutrition, and brain and liver, within the Faculty of Health, Medicine and Life Sciences, NUTRIM- Department of Nutrition and Movement Sciences PhD position on nutrition, and brain...
Doctoral (Ph D) Student Position In Mucosal Immunology And Ulcerative Colitis , Karolinska Institutet, Sweden, 1 day ago
To be a doctoral student means to devote oneself to a research project under supervision of experienced researchers and following an individual study plan. For a doctoral degree, the equivalent of...
Nki Ph D Program 2022, The Netherlands Cancer Institute, Netherlands, 4 days ago
NKI PhD Program 2022 NKI PhD Program 2022 Published Deadline Location yesterday 30 Sep Amsterdam Call for PhD positions in 12 programs in Molecular Life Sciences & Cancer Biology is open until 30t...
Healthier Lives National Science Challenge Masters Scholarship In Population Nutrition The University Of Auckland, The University of Auckland, New Zealand, 11 days ago
A Scholarship of up to $14,000 for masters research in healthy and sustainable dietary practices and/or equity in relation to health sector food policies, for New Zealand citizens and permanent re...
Ph D Fellowship In Breast Cancer Research At The Department Of Cellular And Molecular Medicine (Icmm), University of Copenhagen, Denmark, about 7 hours ago
We are offering a PhD fellowship in breast cancer commencing 1 November 2022 or as soon as possible hereafter. Our group and research The Petersen/Villadsen Group is part of the Morphogenesis and ...