The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Shenzhen （CUHK-Shenzhen）was founded in accordance with the Regulations of the People’s Republic of China on Chinese-foreign Cooperation in Running Schools upon approval by the Ministry of Education. It strives to explore a new path of higher education featured by strong connections to both China and the world. It inherits the educational philosophy and academic systems of the Chinese University of Hong Kong, with the purpose to provide top-quality higher education and foster an enriching research environment. It is CUHK-Shenzhen’s mission to cultivate innovative talents with a global perspective, Chinese cultural traditions and social responsibilities.
The School of Humanities and Social Science, one of the leading schools in CUHK-Shenzhen, has a diversity of high-quality and well-organized graduate programmes in various research areas. At present, it attracts the best talented academic staff and provides students with four exciting post-graduate programmes: Master of Arts in Translation and Interpreting Studies, Master of Arts in Global Studies, Master of Science in Applied Psychology and Master of Arts in Simultaneous Interpreting. The School’s mission is to educate and train innovative and forward-thinking social science talents, and to become a leading school of social science nationally and internationally.
The Advanced Institute of Global and Contemporary China Studies (GCCS) in the HSS at CUHK-Shenzhen plans to start its PhD programme in Global Studies in the Fall of 2021. With its solid and enriching research resources, the programme is seeking for innovative and forward-thinking social science talents globally with a range of research focuses, including international relations, international security, international political economy, global governance, international organization, comparative politics, Chinese political economy and other related areas. The programme aims to equip students with interdisciplinary and independent analysis skills, capability of critical thinking and creativity, global and innovative mindset, which enable students to be professionals at top research universities or leading industries.
Fall of 2021
RMB 95,000 RMB per annum
Yes. The selection is based on merit.
30 June 2021 at 24:00 (Beijing Time)
CURRICULUM AND CREDIT REQUIREMENT
- For PhD students, minimum of 27 units are required from the following lecture courses with 4 required courses in Group A (12 units) and 15 units of elective courses in Group B.
Lecture Courses Group A
Advanced Seminar on Contemporary Issues in Global Studies
Social Science Research Methods
Advanced Seminar on the Theories of Global Studies
Graduate Seminar on Critical Thinking and Social Science Research
Lecture Courses Group B
Theories & Practice of International Relations
International Economics & Business
International Organizations and Global Governance
International Security Affairs
Foreign Policy Decision Making
Global Finance & Monetary System
Economic Statecraft & Negotiations
International Environmental Governance
Global Natural Resource Management
Population, Urbanization and Sustainable Development
- In addition, students must take research courses on thesis writing, academic presentation, research ethics, etc. and attend related seminars delivered by faculty members/invited guests and academic workshops and conferences during their studies at the programme.
- Students in the PhD stream need to attend a candidacy examination. A student with a master degree who fails to pass the candidacy requirement within the maximum pre-candidacy period is required to withdraw from PhD study; A student without a master’s degree who fails to pass the candidacy requirement within the maximum pre-candidacy period is allowed to switch to MPhil study.
STUDY MODE AND STUDY PERIOD
The study mode is full-time for all streams of the programme. The study period for different streams is summarized below:
Maximum Pre-Candidacy Period
entering with a research master’s degree - 24 months
entering without a research master’s degree - 36 months
entering with a research master’s degree - 48 months
entering without a research master’s degree - 60 months
entering with a research master’s degree - 72 months
entering without a research master’s degree - 84 months
For detailed unit requirements, please contact us.
GENERAL ADMISSIONS REQUIREMENTS
For the PhD programme, the applicant shall have:
- education background in international relations, political science, public administration, economics, sociology or other social science-related subjects;
- a Master's degree from a recognized university; or graduated from a recognized university and obtained a Bachelor's degree, normally with honours not lower than Second Class; or graduated from an honours programme of a recognized university with a Bachelor's degree, normally achieving an average grade of not lower than “B”; or completed a course of study in a tertiary educational institution and obtained professional or similar qualifications equivalent to an honours degree.
- fulfilled the English Language Proficiency Requirement as specified below:
The applicant should either:
- possess a pass grade in English in one of the following examinations:
- Hong Kong Advanced Level Exam (AS Level)
- Hong Kong Higher Level Exam; or
- achieve Level 4 or above in the English Language subject of the Hong Kong Diploma of Secondary Education (HKDSE) Examination; or
- completed a degree programme for which the medium of instruction was English, and the CUHK(SZ) Graduate School may request applicants to provide additional supporting documents to prove their English proficiency; or
- submit one of the following original score reports/ certificates for assessment by the Programme concerned:
- TOEFL (not lower than 550 paper-based; 213 computer-based; and 79 internet-based)
- IELTS (Academic) (not lower than Band 6.5)
- GMAT (Verbal, not lower than 21); or
- have obtained a recognized professional qualification awarded in Hong Kong or an English speaking country.
Telephone: (86) 0755-84273180, 84273173
Address: TB545, Teaching B, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Shenzhen, 2001 Longxiang Boulevard, Longgang District, Shenzhen, China
Call For Ph D Positions In The Doctoral Programme In “Comparative And European Legal Studies” 37th... (# Of Pos: 39), Università degli Studi di Trento, Europe, 3 days ago
Applications for admission to the PhD Programme described in the previous article, are accepted from candidates, regardless of gender, age or nationality, who hold an Italian “Laurea Magistrale” (...
Global Scholarship Programme For Research Excellence, University of British Columbia, Canada, about 2 hours ago
View All Awards Deadline Likely April 2022 Annual Value On-campus accommodation on a shared room basis for one to six months between 1 September 2019 and 31 August 2020 Citizenship Canadian Perman...
Position As Postdoctoral Researcher, Karolinska Institutet, Sweden, about 2 hours ago
Ming Wai Lau Centre for Reparative Medicine (MWLC) aims to contribute to the improvement of human health by conducting cutting-edge research in reparative medicine and related subjects, by creatin...
Edwin S.H. Leong Csc Ubc Ph D Scholarship, University of British Columbia, Canada, about 2 hours ago
View All Awards Deadline Likely August 2021 Annual Value $35,000 Citizenship International Degree Level Doctoral Renewable doctoral scholarships of $35,000 per year for up to four years are offere...
Tsung Dao Lee Fellow Position In Quantum Physics, Tsung-Dao Lee Institute, China, about 5 hours ago
Position ID:SJTU -Tsung-Dao Lee Institute -QUAN_TDLEEFELLOW1 [#17283] Position Title: Position Type:Tenured/Tenure-track faculty Position Location:Shanghai, Shanghai 200240, China [map ] Subject ...
Ph D The Role Of The Se China Passive Margin For The Formation Of Taiwan Orogen (# Of Pos: 2), CY Cergy Paris Université, Suriname, 22 days ago
The project aims to investigate the control of structural, lithological and thermal inheritance of the former SE China margin during the formation of the Taiwan orogen. The structural setting of T...