View All Awards
Likely June 2021
Up to $10,000
COVID-19 notice: We appreciate that, like all of us, students and their research plans face unprecedented uncertainties. Rest assured that your application and proposal will be evaluated accordingly. If you are awarded PSI funding, it could be kept untouched until it is needed, or extensions granted to funds already activated..
applications for the PSI scholarship 2021/22 are now accepted. the application period will run until 4:00 pm, friday, june 4.
general information sessions for the psi are now complete. Other information sessions are being held across departments and faculties. please reach out to your department to arrange a session for your department.
This award is part of the UBC Public Scholars Initiative (PSI) which intends to build connections, community, and capacity for doctoral students who are interested in explicitly linking their doctoral work to an arena of public benefit and integrating broader and more career-relevant forms of scholarship into their doctoral education process.
Up to $10,000 twice, for a total of $20,000 per student is available to support innovative/collaborative scholarship which the student would otherwise be unable to pursue. Funding can be used for:
- A research allowance (including allowance for professional development or travel relevant to the scholarly work)
- Student stipend, if the student’s current funding source would not allow the alternative project(s)
Every year funding is available for up to 30-40 new students. Students may be eligible for renewal for a second year (pending new PSI funding).
- UBC Vancouver doctoral students (PhD, EdD, and DMA) in years 1-5
- Applicants must have completed no more than 48 months of doctoral study as of 31 August 2021
- Applicants must be registered in a UBC doctoral program as of 1 September 2021
- Applicants in their 6th year (48 to 60 months of doctoral study) will be accepted only in the most exceptional circumstances
Requirements for all funded students:
- Submission of a report at the end of their first (and if applicable, second) year of funding
- Presentation of their work at a Network event PhDs Go Public.
All students, faculty, and collaborators will be asked to complete a questionnaire at the end of their funding/involvement. Student dissertations and student completion and career outcomes will also be reviewed as part of the assessment of this pilot initiative.
- Student’s past accomplishments and future promise. Breadth of interest and accomplishment will be important, as well as an indication of the student’s fit with the proposed project.
- Project’s relationship to PSI goals, which is to encourage and enable a broadened conception of doctoral education, such that:
- Students' work extends beyond the academia and beyond traditional disciplinary boundaries;
- Students gain experience in the environments and types of scholarship they may productively engage in post-graduation;
- Students’ work is evaluated as part of the degree, ensuring it is of the highest quality, and signaling that the university considers these diverse forms of scholarship worthy of recognition;
- Students gain enhanced career opportunities and they foster positive public perception of the value of the doctorate;
- Students can contribute to the public good in diverse ways through rigorous scholarship;
- Quality of proposed scholarship. The following factors will be taken into account:
- The work requires a high level of expertise in a discipline(s) and/or methodology;
- The goals are clearly defined, realistic, and identify important questions;
- Adequate preparation for and understanding of the subject is indicated;
- Appropriate methods are proposed to achieve the goals;
- Plans to document and disseminate the work are appropriate and effective;
- The work has significance and is likely to contribute positively to the public good;
- Need for alternative funding sources
- Consideration will also be given to breadth of the initiative across disciplines
The applications are now open.
(1) Download these 2 files from the link below (under the 'Further Information' section): PSI Fellowship Application 2021-2022; and PSI Fellowship Application Instructions 2021-2022
(2) Following the guidelines, complete the Application form. Please note that each section ("Outline of Proposed Scholarly Work" and "Relationship of Proposal to PSI Goals") is individually capped at 4000 characters and 1 page.
(3) Upload the completed Application form and your Canadian Common CV as one pdf file (see instructions for details) to this link .
(4) Once the form is downloaded you can edit and save the form by renaming it.
(5) For the mandatory supervisor letter of support and the optional letter(s) of support from collaborators, your letter writers should go to this page . You can open the page, and share the link with them.
(6) This will complete your application.
The Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies will convene a multi-disciplinary adjudication committee to review eligible applications and select funding recipients. Funding decisions will be announced in the second half of July.
Previous Award Winners
For profiles of all existing and graduated scholars, please check the profiles section of the Public Scholars Initiative webpage .
Meet Award Holders
Doctor of Philosophy in Educational Studies (PhD)
Understanding Honour Related Violence and Oppression in Ways that are Helpful for Victims, their Communities and Canadian Society
Doctor of Philosophy in Population and Public Health (PhD)
Evaluating the Integration of Health Care in Provincial Correctional Facilities Under the Ministry of Health
Áurea Vericat Rocha
Doctor of Philosophy in Educational Studies (PhD)
Braiding Lived Experiences: The Making of a Collaborative Inquiring Community of Indigenous Early Childhood Educators
Doctor of Philosophy in Anthropology (PhD)
The “condition” of migration: a multi-sited ethnography of belonging and transformation in Nepal, Northeast India, and New York City
Doctor of Philosophy in Rehabilitation Sciences (PhD)
Devising Strategies for Food Security and Responses to Climate Change in Indigenous Villages in Zimbabwe and the Himalayas: Folding Visual Art into an Evidence-Based Project
Courtney van Ballegooie
Doctor of Philosophy in Interdisciplinary Oncology (PhD)
Patient Understanding of Modern Chemotherapeutics: Has the increasing complexity of chemotherapy impacted patients quality of life and understanding?
Doctor of Philosophy in Linguistics (PhD)
Gitksan Neologism Formation: The Future of Gitksan With Roots in the Past
Multiple Stakeholder Perspectives on School-Based Mental Health Literacy Interventions: An Interpretive Phenomenological Analysis (IPA)
Doctor of Philosophy in Psychology (PhD)
Testing the Efficacy of Parental Intervention Workshops on Children's Social Cognition and Social-Emotional Health
View All Stories
For questions about the Public Scholars Initiative and application procedures, contact Public Scholarship Coordinator Serbulent Turan: firstname.lastname@example.org
Ph D Student (Index No. 4403 00), Paul Scherrer Institut Villigen, Switzerland, 17 days ago
The Paul Scherrer Institute PSI is the largest research institute for natural and engineering sciences within Switzerland. We perform cutting-edge research in the fields of matter and materials, e...
Ph D In Theoretical Particle Physics, Jozef Stefan Institute, Slovenia, 5 days ago
Doctor of Philosophy Scholarship in Theoretical Particle Physics Department of Theoretical Physics at the Jožef Stefan Institute is announcing an international PhD scholarship, awarded by the Fac...
One Fixed Term Researcher Position, Department Of Philosophy, Sociology, Education And Applied..., Università degli Studi di Padova, Italy, 9 days ago
An official website of the European UnionAn official EU websiteHow do you know? All official European Union website addresses are in the europa.eu domain. See all EU institutions and bodies Cookie...
Postdoctoral Position In Dielectric Condition Assessment Of Back Up Hydro Generator Stator Bars, NORWEGIAN UNIVERSITY OF SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY - NTNU, Europe, 9 days ago
About the position Applicants are invited for a two-year position as a Postdoctoral Fellow at the Department of Electric Power Engineering (IEL), Norwegian University of Science and Technology (N...
Ph D Candidate Within The Area Of Philosophy Of Language, Experimental Semantics, Times Higher Education, United Kingdom, 1 day ago
This is NTNU At NTNU, creating knowledge for a better world is the vision that unites our 7 400 employees and 42 000 students. We are looking for dedicated employees to join us. You will find more...
Fellowship In Theoretical Philosophy (Pa2021/1302), University of Lund, Sweden, about 18 hours ago
Lund University was founded in 1666 and is repeatedly ranked among the world’s top 100 universities. The University has 40 000 students and more than 8 000 staff based in Lund, Helsingborg and Mal...