If you are an internal applicant, please make sure to update your current union status in your candidate profile each time you apply for a vacancy. Internal candidates will be given priority consideration at this time. Please note: Carleton University encourages applications from all qualified candidates.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Reporting to the Manager of Financial Aid the Receptionist is the first point of contact and is responsible for providing front-line support to all students and internal and external stakeholders who contact the Awards Office. These contacts may come in person, via fax, phone or e-mail. The position is responsible for creating records in the Awards Office’s UGAFA database and assigning student files to Financial Aid Administrators. The Receptionist is also responsible for scheduling student appointments with appropriate staff members as well as providing administrative support to the office.
The incumbent must possess the following qualifications:
• Central to the successful administration of the Awards Office is the incumbent's ability to administer the day-to-day activities of the office to ensure that services are carried out to students, new applicants, parents, stakeholders in a manner, which will enhance the image of the Awards Office.
• The incumbent must have efficient and effective administration and organizational skills, a clear understanding of administrative and office procedures as well as the Awards Office’s student financial management system (UGAFA).
• Strong interpersonal and problem-solving skills are essential to deal with day-to-day activities, as is good judgment, initiative, resourcefulness, tact , and discretion.
• Strong organizational skills with the ability to multi-task, to determine priorities and the ability to work in a high-pressure environment is necessary in order to cope with high volume workload, to meet the department’s daily deadlines with accuracy and efficiency and to work with constant interruptions while still completing the tasks required.
• Excellent customer service savvy with a professional attitude and approach.
• Strong written communication skills.
• Accurate knowledge of Carleton University programs and admissions policies and procedures.
• Sound judgment in assessing inquiries and responding appropriately.
• Ability to work effectively both independently and as a team member.
• Experience with Microsoft Office specifically Word, Excel, and Outlook, plus the ability to learn and adapt to new software programs.
Education and Experience:
The above is normally acquired through the completion of:
• A Secondary School Diploma, plus two years of business training (or the equivalent).
• Three years in an academic or professional setting, including a minimum of two years’ experience in a front-line customer service position.
• Experience with Microsoft Office software especially Word, Excel, and Outlook is essential.
• Prior experience with customer information databases is an asset.
Carleton University and CUPE 2424 are currently completing a joint job evaluation and pay equity project. The University and the Union are working together to describe the skills, effort, responsibilities and working conditions associated with every CUPE 2424 job, including this one. As a result, the job description that is currently associated with this posting (for recruitment purposes) may be revised to reflect the actual duties captured in the new job descriptions.
By applying for this job you are acknowledging that the actual duties associated with this job may differ somewhat from those identified in the job posting and that you will agree to perform the duties of this job as determined through the joint job evaluation process.
Equivalencies will be considered. Applicants are encouraged to provide information which may demonstrate equivalent qualifications. Please note that applicants may be required to complete an employment test as part of the selection process for this position. Those applicants that are selected for an interview will be requested to contact the Human Resource Advisor assigned to this competition as soon as possible to discuss any accommodation requirements. Arrangements will be made to accommodate your request in a timely manner. Carleton University is strongly committed to fostering diversity within its community as a source of excellence, cultural enrichment, and social strength. We welcome those who would contribute to the further diversification of our University including, but not limited to: women; visible minorities; First Nations, Inuit and Métis peoples; persons with disabilities; and persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity and expressions.
Important Note Regarding Pandemic Related Operations:
This position is required to work on campus. Exceptionally, since March 2020, many staff and faculty at Carleton University have been working from home in order to comply with public health requirements while continuing to provide services to support the operational functioning of the university. We are currently in the process of identifying positions that need to work on campus as part of our return to campus process. This position may be required to work temporarily remotely due to public health requirements or it may have been identified as one of the roles that are required to work on campus. If this position is required to work on campus, the successful candidate will be informed of the health and safety measures that are in place to ensure their safety on campus. If there is a requirement to work remotely (it is possible that there could be a requirement to work both remotely and on campus), the successful candidate will work with the manager to set up a remote work environment including discussing appropriate technology and requirements. Please note that once public health requirements permit, Carleton University will resume normal on campus operations and at that point there will be a timely notification provided by the manager and the requirement to working full time physically onsite will resume. Therefore, we are looking for candidates currently in or looking to relocate to the Ottawa area.
Additionally, Carleton University is continuing to maintain a safe work environment and requires mandatory vaccination against COVID-19 as per Public Health recommendations under the Reopening Ontario Act. As Carleton University requires that staff be available to attend on-campus meetings and to work, as required, in person, the successful candidate will be required to comply with this policy and be fully vaccinated before commencing employment. Subject to permitted exemptions under the Ontario Human Rights Code, if you are the successful candidate, your offer of employment will be conditional upon you attesting that you are fully vaccinated with a course of vaccines that have been approved by Health Canada and submitting appropriate proof of vaccination.
View complete position description
You must login first before attempting to apply for any postion.
Please confirm that you have updated your candidate profile, if you are a returning applicant. Please note your profile includes important screening information.
Team Leader Ako Marake Evaluation And Student Insights, University of Canterbury, New Zealand, 43 minutes ago
Fulltime at 37.5 hours per week (1.0 FTE) Permanent position Competitive remuneration and generous annual leave provision The Evaluation and Student Insights team The mahi undertaken in Ako Marake...
Team Leader, Student Affairs And Engagement, UNIVERSITY OF SYDNEY, United Kingdom, 12 days ago
Full time, continuing position Exciting opportunity for an established leader to manage operational and administrative services within the Student Affairs and Engagement unit Base Salary $109,663-...
Technical Studentship Applied Physics 2022 2, CERN - European Organization for Nuclear Research, Switzerland, 6 days ago
Take part in CERN’s Technical Student Programme! If your university or institute requires or encourages you to acquire work experience through an internship, imagine doing this at CERN in Geneva. ...
Industrial Technology Advisor, National Research Council Canada, Canada, 5 days ago
Priority will be given to the following designated employment equity groups: Women, Indigenous peoples* (First Nations, Inuit and Métis), persons with disabilities and racialized persons*. *The Em...
Student Technician Te Puna Kararehe (Unitec Small Animal Unit), Unitech Institute of Technology, New Zealand, about 11 hours ago
Kia hiwa rā! At Unitec, we're passionate about the power of education to positively change the lives of our students, their whānau, and the wider hapori. We make sure our learners are well equippe...
Program Assistant Student Activities (Job Id: 43459), University of Louisville, United States, about 21 hours ago
Job ID: 43459 Location: VP Student Affairs Minimum Qualifications High School or GED and six months of related experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience. Grade NB Wage co...