Priority may be given to the following designated employment equity groups: women, Indigenous peoples* (First Nations, Inuit and Métis), persons with disabilities and racialized persons*.
* The Employment Equity Act, which is under review, uses the terminology Aboriginal peoples and visible minorities.
Organizational Unit: Human Health Therapeutics
Duration: 2 years with possibility of continuing position after initial term
Language Requirements: English or French
Note: Due to the nature of the work and operational requirements, this position will require some physical presence at the NRC work location identified in the form of a hybrid work arrangement (a combination of working onsite and offsite).
This position is being re-posted. If you had previously applied, there is no need to re-apply.
Underfilling may be considered.
The NRC Advantage
Great Minds. One Goal. Canada's Success.
The National Research Council of Canada (NRC) is the Government of Canada's largest research organization supporting industrial innovation, the advancement of knowledge and technology development. We collaborate with over 70 colleges, universities and hospitals annually, work with 800 companies on their projects, and provide advice or funding to over 8000 Small and Medium-sized Enterprises (SMEs) each year.
We bring together the brightest minds to deliver tangible impacts on the lives of Canadians and people around the world. And now, we want to partner with you. Let your expertise and inspirations make an impact by joining the NRC.
At the NRC, we know that diversity enables excellence in research and innovation. We are committed to a diverse and representative workforce, a safe and respectful work environment, and contributing to a more inclusive Canadian innovation system. We welcome all qualified applicants and encourage you to complete the employment equity self-declaration questions during the job application process.
Please let us know of any accommodation measures required to help you to be assessed in a fair and equitable manner. Please note that the information you provide will be treated confidentially.
Help bring research to life and drive your career forward with the National Research Council of Canada (NRC), Canada's largest research and technology organization.
We are looking for a IT Network and Systems Administrator for the Clinical Trial Material Facility (CTMF) at the Human Health Therapeutics (HHT) Research Center. The candidate would be someone who shares our core values of integrity, excellence, respect and creativity.
The NRC is building a new permanent, GMP-compliant clinical trial material facility at its Royalmount Avenue site in Montréal. When complete, this facility will be used to manufacture vaccine and other biologic materials for clinical trials to support the development of new therapeutics for human health.
The Administrator is responsible for the maintenance, configuration and reliable operation of operating systems, servers, networks and virtualization. The candidate also provides second level IT support (hardware and software) to all users of the center.
Once the systems will be set-up, he or she will be responsible for :
- Manage network components: ensure availability, performance and security of the infrastructure and services.
- Prepare, configure and install routers, switches, firewalls, wireless equipment and any other network component.
- Works in collaboration with external suppliers such as Microsoft, Cisco, Bell and HP to ensure the various components are kept up to date and problems are resolved when necessary.
- Write, manage and maintain documentation for IT systems and processes, in accordance with current Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP) standards and requirements.
- Respond to internal customer requests.
- Perform and document network infrastructure maintenance activities and ensure perimeter security.
Applicants must demonstrate within the content of their application that they meet the following screening criteria in order to be given further consideration as candidates :
- Bachelor degree in Computer Science.
- A combination technical degree and relevant experience may be considered.
For information on certificates and diplomas issued abroad, please see Degree equivalency .
- Significant experience in IT network and systems administration;
- Significant Experience in configuring, operating, maintaining and monitoring networking, server and storage equipment of various brands;
- Significant Experience in installing, configuring and managing a VMware environment;
- Experience with backup software such as Veeam;
- Experience with Microsoft VDI and Terminal Server solutions;
- Experience with managing cloud platforms such as Salesforce and MS Azure would be an asset;
- IT experience in a GMP environment would be an important asset.
Note that significant experience is define by minimum 5 years’ experience.
Condition of Employment
English or French
Information on language requirements and self-assessment tests
Candidates will be assessed on the basis of the following criteria:
- Extensive knowledge of network infrastructure and computer hardware, software and operating systems.
- Knowledge of security related systems and applications such as firewalls, intrusion detection systems, virtual private networks (VPNs) and associated network protocols and concepts.
- Advanced diagnostic and troubleshooting skills.
- Management services - Conceptual and analytical ability (Level 2)
- Management services - Results orientation (Level 2)
- Management services - Communication (Level 2)
- Management services - Organizational and environmental awareness (Level 1)
For this position, the NRC will evaluate candidates using the following competency profile(s) : Management Services .
View all competency profiles
Relocation assistance will be determined in accordance with the NRC's directives.
From $89,548 to $112,660 per annum.
An incumbent occupying a position within the CS Group is currently entitled to receive a terminable allowance of $212 per month.
NRC employees enjoy a wide-range of competitive benefits including comprehensive health and dental plans, pension and insurance plans, vacation and other leave entitlements.
- A pre-qualified list may be established for similar positions for a one year period.
- Failure to provide appropriate or factual information in the application may result in the rejection of your application.
- Overtime outside regular production hours or during week-end will sometimes be required.
- Occasionaly, must be available for being “on-call” 24h/7 in rotation.
- Candidates will not be solicited for incomplete or possible missing information. dental plans, pension and insurance plans, vacation and other leave entitlements.
- Preference will be given to Canadian Citizens and Permanent Residents of Canada. Please include citizenship information in your application.
- The incumbent must adhere to safe workplace practices at all times.
- We thank all those who apply, however only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
Please direct your questions, with the requisition number (19297) to :
Closing Date: 25 September 2023 - 23:59 Eastern Time
For more information on career tools and other resources, check out Career tools and resources.