The Epilepsy Research Laboratory (Laboratório de Investigação em Epilepsia) is a multimodal research facility from the Department of Neurosciences and Behavioral Sciences, Ribeirão Preto Medical School, University of São Paulo (http://www.fmrp.usp.br/?lang=en ), Brazil. Aiming translational science, our group works with neuroimaging, neuropathological and electrophysiology tools in patients and animal models to investigate the relationship between psychiatric comorbidities and epilepsies. Specifically we are interested in how psychosocial factors can affect neuronal dynamics contributing to depressive-like symptoms that are common in temporal lobe epilepsy.
The scholarship is financed by the São Paulo Research Foundation (FAPESP) and is valid for 24 months, with a possible 12 months extension. More information on FAPESP PD fellowship is available at: http://www.fapesp.br/en/5427 .
The selected applicant will develop a study to investigate the endocannabinoid system modulation of mesocorticolimbic neuronal dynamics in animal models of stress. For this, the successful candidate will perform electrophysiological recordings of medial prefrontal cortex (mPFC), amygdala, and ventral tegmental area (VTA) during cognitive and hedonic behavioral evaluation such as learned helplessness and sucrose preference. The researcher will also perform pharmacological and immunohistochemical assays to address endocannabinoid physiology. The ideal candidate will be a collaborative, hardworking post-doc who has excellent communication skills and practice in supervising students, presenting previous experience in electrophysiology recording and synaptic plasticity protocols.
- PhD in neuroscience or equivalent, with a thesis in electrophysiology;
- Proved skills in anesthetized and freely moving electrophysiology;
- Experimental background in cannabinoid pharmacological manipulation and immunohistochemistry assessment;
- Strong programming skills in at least Python, C/C++, or Matlab, and computational analysis of neural time series data is required;
- A publication record demonstrating experience in animal models of stress or psychiatry-like symptoms;
- Strong publication record with articles in international peer reviewed journals;
- English proficiency and excellent written and oral communication skills;
- Experience with open source tools and science awareness is a plus.
What we offer:
- State-of-the-art optogenetics/electrophysiology systems (Plexon), as well as open source systems (Open Ephys);
- Possibility of translational studies with evaluation of human electroencephalography data from psychiatric patients;
- Two-year scholarship, funded by FAPESP.
How to apply:
Please apply to email@example.com , with the following information:
- Curriculum Vitae;
- Two recommendation letters of reference from previous supervisors;
- Cover letter stating the motivation to apply and key skills that match the profile (one page maximum).
This opportunity is open to candidates of any nationalities. The selected candidate will receive a FAPESP’s Post-Doctoral fellowship in the amount of R$ 7,373.10 monthly and a research contingency fund, equivalent to 15% of the annual value of the fellowship which should be spent in items directly related to the research activity.
More information about the fellowship is at: fapesp.br/oportunidades/3186 .
Ph D Fellowship In Synaptic Transmission Of Patient Derived Neurons At Department Of Neuroscience, Faculty Of Health And Medical Sciences University Of Copenhagen, University of Copenhagen, Denmark, about 21 hours ago
We are offering a PhD fellowship in synaptic transmission of patient-derived neurons commencing 1 December 2020 or as soon as possible hereafter. Our group and research The Sørensen group is highl...
Post Doc Position (M/F/D), Leibniz, Germany, about 16 hours ago
The Leibniz Institute for Farm Animal Biology (FBN) based in Dummerstorf near Rostock, Germany, is a foundation under public law and a member of the Leibniz-Association. The scope of the institute...
Ph D Fellowship In Forensic Veterinary Pathology At The Department Of Veterinary And Animal Sciences, University of Copenhagen, Denmark, about 20 hours ago
Department of Veterinary and Animal Sciences, Faculty of Health and Medical Sciences at the University of Copenhagen is offering a PhD fellowship in forensic veterinary pathology commencing 1 Janu...
Ph D Fellowship In In Situ Methods For The Study Of Zoonotic Influenza Viruses At The Department Of Veterinary And Animal Sciences, University of Copenhagen, Denmark, about 20 hours ago
We are offering a PhD fellowship onin situ methods for the study of zoonotic influenza viruses commencing 1 January 2021 or as soon as possible hereafter. Our group and research The research group...
Ph D Student Position (M/F/D), Leibniz, Germany, 6 days ago
The Leibniz Institute for Farm Animal Biology (FBN) is a foundation under public law and member of the Leibniz Association. About 300 employees are performing basic and applied research in the fie...
Post Doctoral Position (M/F/D), Leibniz, Germany, about 16 hours ago
The Heinrich Pette Institute - Leibniz Institute for Experimental Virology (HPI), is committed to research on the biology of different human viruses as well as the pathogenesis of viral diseases (...