The Epilepsy Research Laboratory (Laboratório de Investigação em Epilepsia) is a multimodal research facility from the Department of Neurosciences and Behavioral Sciences, Ribeirão Preto Medical School, University of São Paulo (http://www.fmrp.usp.br/?lang=en ), Brazil. Aiming translational science, our group works with neuroimaging, neuropathological and electrophysiology tools in patients and animal models to investigate the relationship between psychiatric comorbidities and epilepsies. Specifically we are interested in how psychosocial factors can affect neuronal dynamics contributing to depressive-like symptoms that are common in temporal lobe epilepsy.
The scholarship is financed by the São Paulo Research Foundation (FAPESP) and is valid for 24 months, with a possible 12 months extension. More information on FAPESP PD fellowship is available at: http://www.fapesp.br/en/5427 .
The selected applicant will develop a study to investigate the endocannabinoid system modulation of mesocorticolimbic neuronal dynamics in animal models of stress. For this, the successful candidate will perform electrophysiological recordings of medial prefrontal cortex (mPFC), amygdala, and ventral tegmental area (VTA) during cognitive and hedonic behavioral evaluation such as learned helplessness and sucrose preference. The researcher will also perform pharmacological and immunohistochemical assays to address endocannabinoid physiology. The ideal candidate will be a collaborative, hardworking post-doc who has excellent communication skills and practice in supervising students, presenting previous experience in electrophysiology recording and synaptic plasticity protocols.
- PhD in neuroscience or equivalent, with a thesis in electrophysiology;
- Proved skills in anesthetized and freely moving electrophysiology;
- Experimental background in cannabinoid pharmacological manipulation and immunohistochemistry assessment;
- Strong programming skills in at least Python, C/C++, or Matlab, and computational analysis of neural time series data is required;
- A publication record demonstrating experience in animal models of stress or psychiatry-like symptoms;
- Strong publication record with articles in international peer reviewed journals;
- English proficiency and excellent written and oral communication skills;
- Experience with open source tools and science awareness is a plus.
What we offer:
- State-of-the-art optogenetics/electrophysiology systems (Plexon), as well as open source systems (Open Ephys);
- Possibility of translational studies with evaluation of human electroencephalography data from psychiatric patients;
- Two-year scholarship, funded by FAPESP.
How to apply:
Please apply to email@example.com , with the following information:
- Curriculum Vitae;
- Two recommendation letters of reference from previous supervisors;
- Cover letter stating the motivation to apply and key skills that match the profile (one page maximum).
This opportunity is open to candidates of any nationalities. The selected candidate will receive a FAPESP’s Post-Doctoral fellowship in the amount of R$ 7,373.10 monthly and a research contingency fund, equivalent to 15% of the annual value of the fellowship which should be spent in items directly related to the research activity.
More information about the fellowship is at: fapesp.br/oportunidades/3186 .
Ph D Position Synaptic Physiology (1.0 Fte), Utrecht University, Netherlands, about 11 hours ago
PhD position Synaptic Physiology (1.0 FTE) Functie For proper functioning of neurons, excitatory and inhibitory synaptic inputs should be well attuned. We recently discovered that coordination bet...
Ph D Studentship Developing Touchscreen Based Tasks For Assessing Affective State: A Translational Approach , The Open University, United Kingdom, about 18 hours ago
Developing touchscreen-based tasks for assessing affective state: a translational approach Supervisory team: Dr Laura Lopez-Cruz, Dr. Christopher Heath and Dr. Paola Fuentes-Claramonte Based in Th...
Ph D Student, Ghent University, Belgium, about 3 hours ago
Job description A consortium of three Laboratories (Laboratory for Animal Nutrition and Animal Product Quality, Faculty of Bioscience Engineering; Center for Microbial Ecology and Technology, Facu...
Doctoral (Ph D) Student Position In Molecular Mechanisms Underlying Neuroinflammation With A Focus On Epigenetics, Karolinska Institute, Sweden, 38 minutes ago
The Department of Clinical Neuroscience (CNS) conducts research and education in the field of neuroscience from the molecular level to the society level. The clinical research and education is con...
Ph D (4 Years) Position Effects Of Low Load Prolonged Stretching On Muscle Properties And Joint Mobility, Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam, Netherlands, 25 days ago
Locatie: AMSTERDAM FTE: 1 Job description The Department of Human Movement Sciences Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam is offering a four-year PhD studentship, funded by the D.H. Heijne Foundation,...
Postdoc Position In Neurogenetics And Neurochemistry Of Mental Disease, Times Higher Education, United Kingdom, 4 days ago
Department: Department of Biochemistry – Faculty of Science Deadline: 29 Feb 2020 Start date: The position is available from April 2020 Masaryk University, Brno, Czech Republic invites excellent ...