- Last application date: 2012-10-10 00:00
- Department: GE17 - Department of Radiation oncology and experimental cancer research
- Contract: bepaald
- Degree: Master
- Occupancy rate: 100%
- Vacancy Type: wp
Invasive growth of a tumor occurs within an ecosystem where a continuous communication exists between cancer cells and a wide network of tumor-associated myofibroblasts. Secretory factors from the cancer cells activate the recruitment of myofibroblasts to the primary tumor site, as well as they promote the departure of cancer cells and myofibroblast precursors (such as bone marrow-derived mesenchymal stem cells, MSC) to distant tissues (FASEBJ 2004; JNCI 2010; Cancer Res 2010, GUT 2012). Recently exosomes have been implicated in these metastasis-associated processes in multiple types of cancer. Exosomes are nanovesicles of +/- 40 nm in size, have a double lipid layer and contain a complex cargo of proteins and RNA molecules. The goal of this research project will be to elucidate whether cancer therapy protocols change paracrine interactions using different molecular techniques in colorectal cancer-stroma models.
This work is part of CAFFEIN (Cancer Associated Fibroblasts Function in tumor Expansion and INvasion), which is a Marie-Curie ITN network (Seventh Framework program of the European Union). We offer a stimulating environment for the scientific development of the candidate. Through support of senior PhD students and post-doctoral scientists and close interaction with the clinicians (department of surgery, radiotherapy, oncology), the candidate will be able to finalize a PhD thesis independently.
- Interested candidates preferentially have a degree of master in the biotechnology, biomedical sciences, bio-engineering, medical doctor or an equivalent degree. They have obtained good study results (at least distinction) during their education and they show a genuine interest and motivation to perform scientific research.
- Skills to work in a lab environment, interest in molecular research techniques, functional assays and animal models.
- Oral and written communication skills (good knowledge of English).
- Perform teamwork (the project is international and interdisciplinary; and is a typical example of team science).
- Have a critical, problem solving and results-oriented attitude.
- Eager to learn and work independently.
- International mobility will be required during the duration of this project.
Send you CV + motivation letter to Prof. Dr. Olivier De Wever (Olivier.email@example.com)
Postdoctoral Research Scientist (Fellow), City of Hope, United States, 11 days ago
Requisition ID: 10446 Job Title: Postdoctoral Research Scientist (Fellow) Center of HoPE (Heterogeneity of Phenotypic Evolution) Position Summary and Key Responsibilities: The lab of Andrea Bild ...
Post Doctoral Research Fellow, Indiana University, United States, 12 days ago
Position Search >> Position Details Department NameNeurological Surgery Center NameNeuroscience Center Position TitlePost-doctoral Research Fellow PIDr. Mahua Dey Description The Department of Neu...
Post Doctoral Position Regarding Studies Of Immunotherapy For The Treatment Of Ovarian Cancer, Karolinska Institutet, Sweden, 1 day ago
At the Department of Oncology-Pathology basic, translational and clinical research and educational activities related to cancer is carried out. Approximately 300 people from over 40 nations are cu...
Postdoctoral Fellow Muschen Lab, City of Hope, United States, 11 days ago
Requisition ID: 10368 Job Title: Postdoctoral scientist, Müschen Laboratory Department of Systems Biology, Beckman Research Institute Our group is interested in comparative analyses of normal lym...
Postdoctoral Researcher In Protein Structure Mass Spectrometry, Karolinska Institutet, Sweden, 11 days ago
Department of Microbiology, Tumor and Cell Biology (MTC) at Karolinska Institutet conducts research and teaching in immunology, infection biology, cell biology and cancer. MTC has about 430 active...
Postdoctoral Researcher In Tumor Biology, Karolinska Institutet, Sweden, 15 days ago
Division MTC offers an opportunity for postdoctoral research studies in Tumor Biology. The research of the Arsenian Henriksson group is focused on the childhood cancer neuroblastoma. Today, neurob...