Department: Center for Molecular Neurology
Postdoctoral Position – The role of the actin cytoskeleton in peripheral nerve degeneration
The Jordanova team at the VIB-UAntwerp Center for Molecular Neurology , Belgium, is looking for an enthusiastic postdoctoral researcher to work on a project exploring the involvement of the actin cytoskeleton in the onset and progression of Charcot-Marie-Tooth neuropathy (CMT).
CMT is the most common inherited neurodegenerative disorder of the peripheral nervous system that is currently incurable. The disease is both clinically and genetically very heterogeneous, with more than 100 genes implicated in its etiology. Jordanova lab had contributed to the identification of several CMT genes and is currently pursuing molecular characterization of their associated pathomechanisms. To this end, we apply multiple omics approaches in mammalian cells, yeast and Drosophila disease models, and make use of unique patient-derived biomaterials. One common theme stemming from our recent research is that the actin cytoskeleton plays a prominent role in the CMT-related neurodegeneration. This finding is novel for the CMT field at large and will be the focus of the advertised postdoctoral project.
This project will take advantage of exciting preliminary data that needs to be validated and further investigated in available cellular CMT models, including pluripotent stem cells (iPSCs) derived from CMT patients and isogenic controls. The project will entail differentiation of iPSC into motor neurons and their general and actin-tailored characterization. Furthermore, specific pathomechanistic hypotheses will be explored, suggested by our preliminary studies. Next to the iPSC technology, this project will make use of biochemistry, cell and molecular biology, Multi-Electrode Array (MEA) electrophysiology, interactomics, and advanced microscopy techniques. You will be embedded in a team of scientists working on complementary topics and model systems, allowing for helpful discussions and fruitful collaborations. At the same time, you will be expected to work independently and drive your own research project. You will be given the opportunity to supervise and be a (co-)promotor of Master’s students and potentially also Ph.D. students.
- Ph.D. degree in biochemistry, cellular-, molecular-, neurobiology, or related disciplines.
- Experience with molecular and cell biology, biochemistry, microscopy, and mammalian cell culture.
- Advanced knowledge and experience in (actin) cytoskeleton biology.
- At least one accepted first-author publication in an international peer-reviewed journal.
- Capability to independently plan, execute and troubleshoot your daily work, and propose relevant research directions.
- Motivation, flexibility, and team spirit.
- Excellent verbal and written English communication skills.
Desirable but not required
- Prior experience with iPSC technology.
- Prior experience with cellular electrophysiology.
- Head-start knowledge, strong preliminary data and unique experimental tools ensuring highly original research with the potential of generating impactful publications.
- Financial support for 3 years with possibilities for extension. The applicant will be assisted in the application for personal fellowships during this time (Marie Sklodowska-Curie Program, HFSP, EMBO, National funding organizations, …).
- Access to centralized facilities with expertise in functional genomics, cell biology, proteomics, microscopy, structural biology, technology development, and bioinformatics.
- Dedicated training programs available through VIB and UAntwerp to broaden your expertise and enhance your skillset. Possibility to learn working with small model organisms in the context of you project.
- A stimulating and international research environment.
- An established network of international collaborators.
Starting Date: as soon as possible
How to apply
- You can apply for this vacancy through the University of Antwerp’s online job application platform. Click on 'apply', complete the online application form and don’t forget to include the following document(s):
- Detailed CV containing list of publications
- One-page description on previous research experience, skills and research interests
- Names and contact details of three references.
- The selection committee will review all of the applications as soon as possible after the application deadline. As soon as a decision has been made, we will inform you about the next steps in the selection procedure.
- If you have any questions about the online application form, please check the frequently asked questions or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org . If you have any questions about the job itself, please contact email@example.com . For more information about our research center https://uantwerpen.vib.be/
The University of Antwerp received the European Commission’s HR Excellence in Research Award for its HR policy. We are a sustainable, family-friendly organisation which invests in its employees’ growth. We encourage diversity and attach great importance to an inclusive working environment and equal opportunities, regardless of gender identity, disability, race, ethnicity, religion or belief, sexual orientation or age. We encourage people from diverse backgrounds and with diverse characteristics to apply.
Ph D Student Position In The Laboratory Of Cell Biology, International Institute of Molecular and Cell Biology in Warsaw, Poland, about 1 month ago
Laboratory of Cell Biology at the International Institute of Molecular and Cell Biology (IIMCB), Warsaw, headed by Prof. Marta Miączyńska is looking for a PhD student. You will join the project en...
Postdoctoral Position In Function And Regulation Of Muscle Stem Cells, Universitat Pompeu Fabra, Spain, 10 days ago
Available position for a postdoctoral fellow to study function and regulation of stem cell aging. We are looking for highly motivated and ambitious experimental biologists to join our research tea...
Ph D Position: Complex Genetics Of Microglial Genes In Alzheimer’s Disease, VIB, Belgium, 2 days ago
About the labs The Sleegers lab (Complex Genetics of Alzheimer’s Disease) and the Mancuso lab (Microglia and Inflammation in Neurological Disorders, MIND) at the VIB-UAntwerp Center for Molecula...
Ph D In Advanced Microscopy Of Supra Assemblies Regulating Cell Growth, Universitat Pompeu Fabra, Spain, 25 days ago
Ours is an interdisciplinary research in the frontier of cell biology, biophysics, computational modelling and structural biology. We develop methods of fluorescence microscopy that allow the stru...
2 Year Postdoctoral Position In Computational Biology, Inserm, Niue, 2 days ago
LINE-1 (L1) retrotransposons spread in the human genome by an RNA-based copy-and-paste mechanism. They drive extensive germline and somatic genome rearrangements during embryogenesis, neural devel...
I Ns T Ru Ct: Call For Applications From Early Stage Researcher For Doctoral (Ph D) Training Position In..., University of Antwerp, Belgium, Belgium, 10 days ago
INsTRuCT is an Innovative Training Network (ITN) funded by the European Union Horizon 2020 Programme. The INsTRuCT Consortium is a research network of leading European scientists from academia and...