The Movahedi lab and Van Ginderachter lab are looking for an outstanding postdoctoral scientist interested in understanding how the immune system, and in particular macrophages and dendritic cells, affect the development and progression of primary brain tumors (glioblastoma) and their response to immunotherapy. We are especially interested in understanding how particular brain microenvironmental cues affect the function of these immune cells in the context of brain tumors.
The project relies on cutting-edge technologies such as single-cell RNA sequencing, CITE-Seq, high-dimensional cytometry, spatial transcriptomics and lentivirus-induced spontaneous glioma models. In addition, there is access to human glioma/glioblastoma samples via collaborations with the university hospital.
Both labs are located at the Vrije Universiteit Brussel, in the heart of Europe, and together form the Myeloid Cell Immunology laboratory that is part of the excellence-based VIB Center for Inflammation Research. The Movahedi lab is located at the university medical campus, the Van Ginderachter lab at the science campus, and you will work at both locations.
Pombo Antunes AR, Scheyltjens I, ... Ginderachter JA*, Movahedi K*. Single-cell profiling of myeloid cells in glioblastoma across species and disease stage reveals macrophage competition and specialization. Nature Neuroscience 2021 In press
Shemer A., Scheyltjens I., ... , Movahedi K., Jung, S. Interleukin-10 Prevents Pathological Microglia Hyperactivation following Peripheral Endotoxin Challenge. Immunity 2020. doi:10.1016/j.immuni.2020.09.018
Van Hove H, Martens L, ... , Van Ginderachter JA, Saeys Y, Movahedi K. A single-cell atlas of mouse brain macrophages reveals unique transcriptional identities shaped by ontogeny and tissue environment. Nature Neuroscience 2019. doi.org/10.1038/s41593-019-0393-4
Laoui D, Keirsse J, ..., Van Ginderachter JA. The tumour microenvironment harbours ontogenically distinct dendritic cell populations with opposing effects on tumour immunity. Nature Communications 2016. doi: 10.1038/ncomms13720
- Ph.D. in biology, bio-engineering sciences, medical sciences, biomedical sciences or related disciplines.
- Solid publication record
- Experienced in immunology, preferably myeloid cell biology.
- Experienced in working with mouse models (FELASA B or C required).
- Experience with flow cytometry and microscopy
- Experience in neuroimmunology and/or tumor immunology is beneficial.
- Experience with single-cell omics is beneficial (but not required)
- Excellent spoken and written English skills
- Creative, highly motivated, independent, team player
- The possibility to independently lead your research project, but with sufficient guidance and mentoring.
- Excellent training conditions, with the possibility to learn a wide set of cutting-edge technologies.
- A friendly, dynamic and scientifically stimulating working environment, with a team of highly motivated scientists.
- Long-term career opportunities.
- Funding for up to 4 years. However, you will be encouraged to also apply for personal fellowships.
Starting date: as soon as possible.
How to apply?
Interested candidates are asked to apply online.
- Detailed CV, containing a full list of publications
- Motivation letter
- Summary of past research
- Names and contact information of 2-3 referees
For additional information on the position contact Prof. Dr. Kia Movahedi (firstname.lastname@example.org ) and Prof. Dr. Jo Van Ginderachter (email@example.com)
Ph D Candidate, University of Patras, Greece, 11 days ago
We are looking for a highly motivated PhD candidate with a background in cell and molecular biology to work in a dynamic and highly collaborative environment. Our lab is interested in understandin...
Ph D Student Position Of A Project “Small Binding Proteins Targeting Immune Checkpoint Proteins As..., Institute of Biotechnology of the Czech Academy of Sciences, Czech, 25 days ago
The successful candidate will be member of the Laboratory of Ligand Engineering at the Institute of Biotechnology (IBT) and involved in Research project “Small binding proteins targeting PD-1/PD-L...
Ph D In Cell Biophysics/Mechanobiology, University of Mons, Belgium, 7 days ago
Project summary The Mechanobiology and Soft Matter group led by Prof Sylvain Gabriele at the University of Mons (Belgium) has an opening for a PhD student in the area of cell biophysics1-3 . The p...
Postdoc Position Mechanobiology Of Bioengineered Bone Organoids , ETH Zurich, Switzerland, about 4 hours ago
In der aktuellen Covid-19 Situation laufen die Rekrutierungen weiter. Es kann dabei allerdings zu Verzögerungen kommen. Vielen Dank für Ihr Verständnis. 100%, Zurich, fixed-term The Laboratory for...
Ph D Position In Metabolism In Cancer And Angiogenesis, UNIVERSITY OF PADOVA, Italy, 27 days ago
The laboratory on Prof. Massimo Santoro (www.massimosantorolab.com ) is seeking a PhD student to study the role of metabolism in cancer and angiogenesis (Santoro, Cell Metabolism, 2020: Arslanbaev...
Ph D Candidate, University of Crete, Greece, 21 days ago
The candidate will perform studies in human samples (peripheral blood) and animal models of arthritis. 1. In patients with rheumatoid arthritis the candidate will perform: a. Studies to isolate pe...