About the Lab
The lab for Systems Biology of Kevin Verstrepen is a research team at VIB & University of Leuven. Our team focuses on genomics, genetics, epigenetics, transcriptomic, and evolution, using yeast as a model. We combine wet-lab and computational research to investigate how biological systems work and evolve.
Example publications include: (names in bold are bio-informaticians from our group):
J. Helsen, K. Voordeckers, L. Vanderwaeren, T. Santermans, M. Tsontaki, K.J. Verstrepen * and R. Jelier*. Gene loss predictably drives evolutionary adaptation. MBE 2020. doi: 10.1093/molbev/msaa172 (IF 14.8)
A. Jariani, L. Vermeersch, B. Cerulus, G. Perez-Samper, K. Voordeckers, T. Van Brussel, B. Thienpont, D. Lambrechts and K.J. Verstrepen (2020). A new protocol for single-cell RNA-seq reveals stochastic gene expression during lag phase in budding yeast. eLife 2020;9:e55320 DOI: 10.7554/eLife.55320 (IF 7.5).
B. Gallone, J. Steensels, S. Mertens, M.C. Dzialo, J.L. Gordon, R. Wauters, F.A. Theßeling, F. Bellinazzo, V. Saels, B. Herrera-Malaver, T. Prahl, C. White, M. Hutzler, F. Meußdoerffer, P. Malcorps, B. Souffriau, L. Daenen, G. Baele, S. Maere and K.J. Verstrepen (2019). Interspecific hybridisation facilitates niche adaptation in beer yeast. Nature Ecology and Evolution. https://doi.org/10.1038/s41559... (IF 11).
Gallone B, Steensels J, Prahl T, Soriaga L, Saels V, Herrera-Malaver B, Merlevede A, Roncoroni M, Voordeckers K, Miraglia L, Teiling C, Steffy B, Taylor M, Schwartz A, Richardson T, White C, Baele G, Maere S, Verstrepen KJ. Domestication and Divergence of Saccharomyces cerevisiae Beer Yeasts. Cell (2016).
Voordeckers K, Kominek J, Das A, Espinosa-Cantú A, De Maeyer D, Arslan A, Van Pee M, van der Zande E, Meert W, Yang Y, Zhu B, Marchal K, DeLuna A, Van Noort V, Jelier R, Verstrepen KJ. Adaptation to High Ethanol Reveals Complex Evolutionary Pathways. PLoS Genetics (2015)
The lab is located at Leuven University, one of the oldest and most prominent universities in Europe consistently ranked within the top 50 worldwide universities. Leuven is located 10 miles from Brussels, with frequent direct train connections to Brussels airport.
We are looking for a highly motivated and talented postdoctoral researcher, specialized in comparative genomics and sequence analysis. In your role, you will work on exciting research projects – you will be directly collaborating with our team of wet-lab scientists who are generating novel data (whole-genome sequences, RNAseq transcriptome data, Illumina, 454, PacBio,…). These collaborations also allow your computational results to be experimentally validated.
- You have a Ph.D. degree in Bioinformatics, Computational Biology, or related.
- You have hands-on experience with or a strong interest in bioinformatics programming, including Linux, scripting) and R
- You have experience with the analysis of next-generation sequence data such as whole-genome sequencing, CNV, Structural variation, and RNA- Seq.
- You are fluent in English, for both written and oral communication
Key personal characteristics
- As a postdoc, you have a strong research output (peer-reviewed publications in high-quality journals (e.g. Genome Research, Cell, Science, Nature journals…)
- You are enthused about scientific research and have a strong interest in studying biology using genomics and systems biology approaches.
- You must have good, open communication skills and be willing to collaborate with multiple other researchers from our team.
- The ability to work on scientifically exceptional and high-impact research topics
- Full-time appointment as a postdoctoral fellow at VIB / KU Leuven, a highly-ranked research institute with a competitive pay scale and benefits (health insurance, sports facilities,... )
- A stimulating and supportive international research environment (with English as the main language)
- Various training opportunities within VIB and KU Leuven to broaden your expertise and skills
- State-of-the-art infrastructure
- Job is available immediately, starting date is negotiable
How to apply?
Motivated candidates are asked to apply online. Additional requirements:
- Please upload your full CV including a list of your scientific publications and motivation letter
- Please add the contact details of at least two references
More information: http://www.kuleuven.be/verstre...
Our institute greatly values diverse standpoints and promotes an inclusive environment in which everyone is respected.
Ph D Student In Cancer Research, Luxembourg Institute of Health, Luxembourg, 6 days ago
Background. Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia (CLL) represents the most frequent leukemia in adults. Despite recent advances in treatments, CLL remains a deadly incurable disease. This cancer is charac...
Ph D | Oxidation And Corrosion Mechanisms In Actinide Oxide Systems, The Belgian Nuclear Research Centre, Belgium, 30 days ago
The principal type of nuclear fuel is uranium dioxide (UO2 ). After discharge from a nuclear reactor the spent fuel is highly radioactive and emitting a considerable amount of heat, which necessit...
Postdoc Position In Multi Omics And Genetics Of Methanogens, University of Southern Denmark (SDU), Denmark, 12 days ago
A two-year postdoctoral research position is available from 1 May 2022 at the Department of Biology, University of Southern Denmark, in the research team led by Dr A.-E. Rotaru. The team is interd...
Ph D Position In Plant Development And Molecular Biology (1.0 Fte), Utrecht University, Netherlands, about 21 hours ago
We are looking for an enthusiastic, communicative, and highly motivated colleague with experience in molecular plant sciences to do a PhD in our group. You will be working on an NWO funded project...
Ph D Position Degradation Modelling & Health Monitoring Of Fuel Cell Systems, Delft University of Technology (TU Delft), Netherlands, 2 days ago
The SH2IPDRIVE project develops zero emission power and propulsion solutions for ships based on hydrogen in a broad consortium across the Dutch maritime sector, from fleet owner to ship designer a...
Ph D Position: Sorption Of Radionuclides Onto C S H And C A S H At Various Degradation Stages, Belgian Nuclear Research Centre, Belgium, about 5 hours ago
For a final disposal of nuclear waste different options are envisaged (https://world-nuclear.org , https://www.iaea.org ,...). Waste of low and intermediate activity and containing short lived ra...