27 Nov 2023
- Research Field
- Researcher Profile
First Stage Researcher (R1)
- Application Deadline
12 Dec 2023 - 23:59 (Europe/Brussels)
- Type of Contract
- Job Status
- Hours Per Week
- Is the job funded through the EU Research Framework Programme?
Not funded by an EU programme
- Reference Number
- Is the Job related to staff position within a Research Infrastructure?
In the framework of the interuniversity research project HOUDINI we are seeking a PhD student eager to contribute to the development and characterization of a humanized mouse model for Charcot-Marie-Tooth disease.
About the HOUDINI project:
Charcot-Marie-Tooth disease type 1 (CMT1) is a demyelinating peripheral neuropathy characterized by slowly progressing muscle weakness and the development of sensory problems. CMT1 is a genetic disease caused by mutations or copy number variations in several genes in Schwann cells, responsible for myelination. There is no cure for CMT because of an insufficient understanding of the pathogenesis. In this project, we start from stem cells and develop a humanized mouse model for CMT1. The model will recapitulate the disease, including the impact of inflammatory responses. We inject stem cell derived Schwann cells in the presence of a humanized immune system and will perform non-invasive imaging to follow-up cell viability and disease progression in vivo. We will also get better insights into the disease mechanism by using Schwann cells containing CMT1-causing genetic alterations. The humanized mouse model offers a novel and unique opportunity to validate candidate therapies for dominant and recessive forms of CMT1 and will contribute to a better understanding of CMT.
To this end, we offer you:
- A challenging project in two different research groups (UHasselt and VIB KU Leuven), in a dynamic and stimulating working environment for high-level neuroscience research.
- The research will be performed at the molecular, cellular and organismal level.
- Use of rapidly advancing technologies in cell biology, induced pluripotent stem cell and organoid development, mouse modelling and neuroimmunology.
- Access to state-of-the-art infrastructure and core facilities in a vibrant, excellent research environment operating at an interuniversity level.
- Dedicated training programs available through UHasselt and VIB-KU Leuven to broaden your expertise and enhance your skillset.
- Training, participation to congresses and international collaborations.
- Participation in (inter)national conferences and (inter)national collaborations.
- Research Field
- Biological sciences
- Education Level
- Master Degree or equivalent
- You must hold an Academic Master recognized by the EU in one of the following disciplines: neuroscience, biochemistry, biology, bioengineering, biomedical or pharmaceutical sciences.
- Outstanding academic study performances according to ECST grading scale.
- FELASA C degree (or EU equivalent) for handling small model organisms.
- Strong interest in basic research, molecular mechanisms of neuroscience and immunology.
- You act with attention to quality, integrity, creativity and cooperation.
- You function well in group, and can work well and constructively with others.
- You think in solutions, not problems.
- You are willing to perform a joint PhD at two universities (UHasselt and KU Leuven).
- You can speak and write fluently in English.
- You have a drivers license.
You will be appointed and paid as PhD student .
The host laboratories provide financial support for 2 years, renewable for 2 years after positive evaluation. However, the applicant should seek in applying for a personal fellowship (e.g. FWO) during this period.
The selection procedure consists of a preselection based on application file and an interview.
- Website for additional job details
- Number of offers available
- Postal Code
Where to apply
- Postal Code
Ph D: Linking Neurodevelopment And Mitochondria In Human Neurons Using I Psc And Xenotransplantation, VIB, Belgium, about 15 hours ago
PhD position: Linking neurodevelopmental disorders and mitochondria in human neurons, using iPSC and xenotransplantation We are looking for an ambitious PhD student with a broad interest in interd...
Ph D Student Position: Biochemistry/Molecular Toxicology , University of Basel, Switzerland, 23 days ago
Your position Corticosteroids regulate essential physiological processes. Substances altering their production, cell-specific metabolism or receptor-mediated signalling can aggravate various disea...
Phd Position In Computational Biology (Zampieri Lab) , University of Basel, Switzerland, 1 day ago
We offer you You will have access to state-of-the-art research equipment in metabolomics, cell biology, time-lapse microscopy and single cell analysis. You will work in a dynamic and highly interd...
Ph D Candidate In Epigenetics & Gene Regulation , University of Amsterdam, Netherlands, 6 days ago
Epigenetic regulation of cell identity is essential for cell functionality and tissue homeostasis. Understanding the dynamics of epigenetic programming holds significant impact for deciphering the...
Postdoctoral Studies In Pain Research (Scholarship), Karolinska Institutet, Sweden, about 2 hours ago
Do you want to contribute to improving human health? A postdoc position for understanding the molecular mechanisms underlying the development of chronic pain is available in the laboratory of Said...
Ph D Student Position: Fluorescent Biosensors In Neurodegenerative Diseases, VIB, Belgium, about 15 hours ago
About the Lab A PhD student position on the design and application of fluorescent protein-based biosensors in neurodegenerative disease is immediately available at the Messens Lab. Successful cand...