Job function: PhD student
Peripheral Neuropathy Research Group: The PhD student will perform genome and transcriptome engineering with CRISPR/Cas to study neurodegeneration in the peripheral nervous system. Our longstanding interest in understanding the consequences of gene mutations causing inherited peripheral neuropathies led to the discovery of the first genetic cause for Charcot-Marie-Tooth (CMT) disease. Subsequently we were involved in the identification of additional CMT neuropathy associated genes which code for proteins that play a role in myelination, axonal transport and maintenance of the peripheral nervous system. The PhD project focuses on mutations in small heat shock proteins associated with peripheral nerve degeneration and neuromuscular disease. The student will make use of diverse molecular and cell biology tools (cell models, CRISPR/Cas genome and transcriptome editing, iPSCs and transgenic models) to understand the consequences of mutations in cells and peripheral nerves. We are affiliated to the Department of Biomedical Sciences and the Institute Born-Bunge, a center of excellence in neurodegenerative and neuromuscular diseases. We are part of the University of Antwerp research excellence center OEC µNEURO allowing access to on-site facilities with expertise in e.g. omics technologies, imaging, microscopy and bio-informatics.
- A challenging PhD project in which we apply genome and transcriptome engineering with CRISPR/Cas.
- The research will be performed at the molecular, cellular and organismal level.
- The project will make use of several state of the art and rapidly advancing technologies in biochemistry, biotechnology, molecular biology, cell biology and neuroscience.
- The goal is to develop a precision medicine in the study model (iPSCs and mouse).
- The project will also offer training, participation to congresses and international collaboration.
Profile and requirements:
- Academic Master degree in biochemistry, biology, bioengineering, biomedical or pharmaceutical sciences with a strong focus on molecular, cell and gene technologies.
- Outstanding academic bachelor and master study performances; according to ECST grading scale and recognized by the EU.
- FELASA degree (or EU equivalent) for handling small model organisms is a plus.
- Expertise or knowledge in molecular and cellular biology, statistics and bioinformatics will be a plus.
- Strong motivation in basic research and molecular neuroscience.
- Excellent verbal and written English communication skills.
- Flexibility and team spirit in an international research environment.
Type of contract:
The applicant is expected to submit and defend an innovative PhD project at the FWO-Flanders (see guidelines: www.fwo.be ) in January 2021 requiring intensive preparation in the second half of 2020. If not granted, obtaining adequate ranking for this competitive doctoral scholarship will result in a contract for a period of at least one year with possibility for re-application the next year.
How to apply:
Applications should be submitted via email to firstname.lastname@example.org before June 1st 2020. A reselection will be made based on the submitted motivation letters and CVs. Selected candidates will be invited for interview and will be informed about the remainder of the selection procedure. Importantly, we apply the same admission guidelines as the FWO, Flanders, Belgium. More details on the specific PhD project can be obtained by contacting: Prof. Dr. Vincent Timmerman, PhD
Peripheral Neuropathy Research Group, University of Antwerp
Campus CDE, Universiteitsplein 1, 2610 Antwerpen, Belgium
Tel: +32-3-265.10.24, E-mail: email@example.com
The University of Antwerp is a family friendly organization, with a focus on equal opportunities and diversity. Our HR-policy for researchers was awarded by the European Commission with the quality label HR Excellence in research .
We support the Science4Refugees initiative and encourage asylum-seeking, refugee scientists and researchers to apply for a job at the University of Antwerp.
Interdisciplinary Ph D Position Quantitative Cell Biology & Biochemistry 2.0 Fte, University of Groningen, Netherlands, 17 days ago
We are looking for two highly motivated and enthusiastic students with backgrounds in cell biology, (bio)chemistry, (bio)physics or related fields to join the Cell Cycle Dynamics group of Dr Julia...
Postdoctoral Position: Rna Epitranscriptomics And Immune Cell Development, Lund University (LU), Sweden, 21 days ago
*Job Description* An exciting opportunity for a Postdoctoral Fellow is available within the RNA and Stem Cell Biology group of Dr. Cristian Bellodi at the Division of Molecular Hematology of the L...
Postdoctoral Position In Computational Single Cell Biology, Max Planck Institute of Immunobiology and Epigenetics (MPI-IE), Germany, 26 days ago
We are offering a *Postdoctoral Position in Computational Single-Cell Biology* The Max Planck Institute of Immunobiology and Epigenetics in Freiburg, Germany, has an opening for an ERC funded post...
Ph D Position In Center Of Human Genetics, Times Higher Education, United Kingdom, 19 days ago
PHD PROJECT: RESOLVING CELLULAR HETEROGENEITY IN HUMAN HEALTH AND DISEASE USING HIGHLY MULTIPLEXED SPATIAL (MULTI-)OMICS TECHNOLOGIES (ref. BAP-2020-494) A new PhD position is available at the Cen...
Ph D Student In Stem Cell Biology, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Belgium, 1 day ago
(ref. BAP-2020-477) Laatst aangepast : 22/06/2020 The Stem Cell Institute, Leuven, was founded in 2006 with the aim to understand fundamental mechanisms underlying stem cell proliferation, differe...
Technician Position In Function And Regulation Of Muscle Stem Cells, Universitat Pompeu Fabra, Spain, 17 days ago
Available position for a Technician fellow to work on function and regulation of stem cell aging. We are looking for highly motivated Technician to join our research team, working in coordination ...