Department: Department of Physics
Let’s shape the future - University of Antwerp
The University of Antwerp is a dynamic, forward-thinking, European university. We offer an innovative academic education to more than 20 000 students, conduct pioneering scientific research and play an important service-providing role in society. We are one of the largest, most international and most innovative employers in the region. With more than 6000 employees from 100 different countries, we are helping to build tomorrow's world every day. Through top scientific research, we push back boundaries and set a course for the future – a future that you can help to shape.
PhD Student, In situ TEM on lithium-sulfur battery cathode particles
Department of Physics
EMAT (Electron Microscopy for Materials Science) is seeking a PhD student to work on a project between different Belgian Universities, focussed on the development of a next generation of lithium-sulphur batteries.
The overall project aims to accelerate the maturation of lithium-sulphur batteries for future wide deployment in electrochemical-energy-storage applications. Current lithium-sulphur batteries have a short life span and suffer from a significant rate of aging. The aging phenomena are multifaceted and different from those in state-of-the-art commercial lithium ion batteries. The project will tackle the current knowledge gap in lithium-sulphur batteries on the detailed dynamics of aging and performance loss at the electrode and cell level by building in-depth quantitative understanding of aging dynamics at particle, electrode, and cell level, and by the development of strategically designed lithium-sulphur particles and electrodes optimized to mitigate aging.
The Ph.D. student located at EMAT will study the evolution of the structure and morphology of the particles and electrodes using ex situ and in situ TEM imaging, spectroscopy and electron diffraction, including 3DED, during ongoing charge-discharge cycles. The Ph.D. student will collaborate with Ph.D. students at the University of Hasselt, University of Ghent, imec and VITO within this project, who are responsible for synthesis and measurement of electrochemical properties, to create new knowledge on the aging phenomena of lithium-sulphur batteries.
EMAT is one of the leading electron microscopy centres in the world and has a vast expertise in both fundamental and applied electron microscopy. EMAT has several state of the art electron microscopes including three aberration corrected, high end FEI-Titan instruments, a dual beam FIB, an environmental SEM,... More about us at our webpage .
- You will study the evolution of the structure and morphology during electrochemical cycling of the lithium-sulfur particles and electrodes developed within the project, using in situ and ex situ TEM.
- You prepare a doctoral thesis in the field of sciences.
- You write and publish scientific articles related to the research project of the assignment.
- You present your work at national and international workshops and conferences.
- You will be employed at the University of Antwerp and closely interact with teams at the University of Hasselt, University of Ghent, imec and VITO.
- You hold a Master degree in Physics, Chemistry, Materials Science, Electrochemical Engineering, Materials Engineering or Applied Sciences Engineering or you will have obtained it by the time you start work.
- You work with attention to quality, integrity, creativity and cooperation.
- You like to think of creative solutions and implement them to put your ideas into practice.
- You have a strong drive to learn new things.
- You are interested and highly motivated to work with the challenging and innovative technique of in situ electrochemical transmission electron microscopy.
- Your research qualities are in line with the faculty and university research policies .
- a doctoral scholarship for a period of 1 year. Following a positive evaluation, the scholarship can be renewed for another 3 years.
- exciting state-of-the-art research on a path towards a PhD
- a world-class research environment with state-of-the-art instrumentation (our webpage )
- a monthly scholarship amount calculated according to the scholarship amounts set by the University of Antwerp.
- The position will be filled as soon as possible. The starting date is 1st of September 2021 or as soon as possible after this date, adaptable to the selected candidate's availability.
- Find out more about working at the University of Antwerp here .
Want to apply?
- You can apply for this vacancy through the University of Antwerp’s online job application platform until 3 June 2021 (by midnight Brussels time). Click on the 'Apply' button, complete the online application form and be sure to include the following attachments:
- a motivation letter
- your academic CV (including followed courses, honours, previous work, publications, …)
- a weblink to a short video introducing yourself,
- contact info of 2 professional referees.
- The selection committee will review all of the applications as soon as possible after the application deadline. As soon as a decision has been made, we will inform you about the next steps in the selection procedure.
- If you have any questions about the online application form, please check the frequently asked questions or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org . Additional information about the job itself can be obtained from: Joke Hadermann, email@example.com
The University of Antwerp received the European Commission’s HR Excellence in Research Award for its HR policy. We are a sustainable, family-friendly organisation which invests in its employees’ growth. We encourage diversity and attach great importance to an inclusive working environment and equal opportunities, regardless of gender identity, disability, race, ethnicity, religion or belief, sexual orientation or age. We encourage people from diverse backgrounds and with diverse characteristics to apply.
Postdoc Position On Nickel Rich Nmc Cathodes For Lithium Ion Batteries, Empa, Switzerland, 2 days ago
Empa’s Laboratory Materials for Energy Conversion focuses on materials and device innovation for sustainable energy conversion and storage technologies. We are offering a The research project focu...
Ph D Student, Paul scherrer Institute (PSI), Switzerland, 19 days ago
The Paul Scherrer Institute PSI is the largest research institute for natural and engineering sciences within Switzerland. We perform cutting-edge research in the fields of matter and materials, e...
Ph D Student In Energy Material Physics With Specialization On Batteries, Uppsala University, Sweden, about 5 hours ago
Published: 2021-07-13 Uppsala University is a comprehensive research-intensive university with a strong international standing. Our ultimate goal is to conduct education and research of the highe...
Ph D Position In All Solid State Lithium Ion Batteries: Advanced Experimental Characterization And..., Vrije Universiteit Brussel, Belgium, 15 days ago
4-year PhD position about advanced experimental characterization and optimization of state-of-the-art solid-state battery systems. The research work will be carried out at the research groups Elec...
Joint Ph D Position Single Cell Regulatory Genomics In Utrecht & Leuven, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Belgium, 28 days ago
Your goal will be to develop new single-cell assays and/or computational strategies to model genomic regulatory programs, using a variety of single-cell epigenomics and transcriptomics data sets. ...
Ph D Student Quantum Nanodiamond For Biology, Hasselt University, Belgium, about 1 hour ago
The Faculty of Sciences, research institute Institute for Materials Research, research group Materials Physics of Hasselt University seeks a (m/f/x) PhD student quantum nanodiamond for biology Bac...