The Department of Industrial Systems Engineering and Product Design at Ghent University (Campus Kortrijk) invites applications for a full-time doctoral research position. The PhD researcher will be working on the Erasmus+ project (‘Knowledge Alliances’): ‘T-CREPE: Textile engineering for co-creation paradigms in education’ (www.t-crepe.eu ).
This project aims at developing an innovative web-based platform (cocreationplanet.eu ) to support co-creation and game-based learning with a particular focus on entrepreneurship in the textile education and industry. The team of this project consists of 4 academic partners (Belgium, Finland, Greece) and 4 industry partners specialised in ICT in textiles (France, Germany, Italy).
The PhD candidate/researcher will be:
1. Developing a doctoral thesis related to the project that addresses the areas of collaborative online learning; game-based learning; co-creation/participatory design.
2. Assisting the project manager and the team to manage, organise, propose and develop ideas for the development and implementation of the tasks for this project. The PhD scholarship is available in the field of industrial / product design at the Faculty of Engineering and Architecture. The research will lead to the title of Doctor of Industrial Design Engineering Technology.
• This is a full-time employment (100%). Your appointment will be spent mainly on researching and assisting the management, organisation and promotion of the t-crepe Erasmus+ project, specifically, you will:
- Conduct research on a doctoral level by designing the research, setting experiments, evaluating data and writing the thesis.
- Present academic work in conferences and publish papers in academic journals.
- Assist in the management and organisation of meetings with international partners, and in the promotional activity of the project through social media.
• You will attend classes/courses as part of your PhD, as noted by the Doctoral Schools.
• You will deliver teaching at the department and co-supervise a small number of master’s students (10%).
• You will assist in research activities of the design.nexus research group of the department.
WHAT WE CAN OFFER YOU
• We offer you an one-year appointment, which may be renewed yearly (maximum 2 more years), on the condition that the previous term was given a positive evaluation, and on budget allowances.
• Your remuneration will be determined according to salary scale AAP. More information about our salary scales.
• All Ghent University staff members enjoy a number of benefits, such as a wide range of training and education opportunities, 38 days of paid leave, bicycle commuting.
• Work in a pleasant work environment with a dynamic team, in a multi-partner context (from education and industry).
• A unique combination of research and managerial work within the EU community. • The opportunity to obtain a PhD.
The candidate will work at the Industrial Design Centre (Campus Kortrijk) and will be part of the Design.Nexus research group (Department of Industrial Systems Engineering and Product Design, Faculty of Engineering and Architecture, Ghent University).
Tentative starting date: late October 2020 or early November 2020.
Online interviews will take place in late October 2020.
Profile of the candidate
• You hold a Master’s degree in:
o Industrial Design Engineering, o Industrial Design Engineering Technology
o Design Management / Innovation Management
o Educational Sciences/ Educational Technologies
o Communication Sciences o (Textile) Engineering Design / or equivalent …
or a related to the vacancy field akin to design and design methodologies. For diplomas awarded outside the European Union, a certificate of equivalence (NARIC) must be submitted. The degree requirements need to be fulfilled at the start of your appointment.
• You have mastered or have good experience with applying design research methodologies.
• You have excellent research, managerial, organisational and communication skills.
• You have specific interest in online and collaborative learning in university design education.
• You are interested in academic and/or project-based research and services, and in international projects.
• You are highly fluent in English (and Dutch) both written and spoken.
• You take responsibility for the development of the project in a well-structured, thorough way, and you are able to solve problems independently. You display creativity in solving problems, generating ideas or finding new ways of working.
• You are quality-oriented; you take initiative; you are a team player; you have an open personality; you thrive in a multi-disciplinary environment.
• Experience in managing big projects, such as international/European events, is a plus.
How to apply
Apply by sending an e-mail to Prof. Marina Emmanouil: email@example.com
Your application must include ONE PDF file (save the file as: T-crepe_PhD_your family name.pdf) with the following documents:
• In the field ‘CV’: your cv and an overview of your study results including academic writing and 2 names of academic or professional referees that may be willing to give us reference letters, if we ask. Make sure you indicate your skype name in case you are short listed for an interview. Not all applicants will be contacted.
• In the field ‘Cover letter’: your application letter explaining how your skills correspond to the requirements of the job. Check carefully the ‘What we are looking for’ section and try to respond to those aspects.
• In the field ‘Diploma’: a transcript of the required degree. • Examples of 1-2 academic papers or/and examples of work experience related to the vacancy. Note that the maximum file size for this single pdf is 10 MB.
As Ghent University maintains an equal opportunities and diversity policy, everyone is encouraged to apply for this position.
If your application is shortlisted, you will receive an email to arrange a skype meeting in mid to late October 2020.
For more information about this vacancy, please contact Prof. Marina Emmanouil (firstname.lastname@example.org ).
Ph D Student Department Of Food Technology, Safety And Health, Ghent University, Belgium, 17 days ago
Last application date Jan 08, 2021 11:18 Department LA23 - Department of Food Technology, Safety and Health Employment category Doctoral fellow Contract Limited duration Degree A Master's degree i...
One Or More Ph D Stipend(S) In Nordic Sound And Music Computing (7 20075), Aalborg University, Denmark, 17 days ago
One or more PhD Stipend(s) in Nordic Sound and Music Computing (7-20075) At the Technical Faculty of IT and Design, Department of Architecture, Design and Media Technology, Aalborg University Cope...
Ph D Stipend: Design For Long Life Ict Enabled Products (7 20081), Aalborg University, Denmark, about 19 hours ago
PhD stipend: Design for long-life ICT enabled Products (7-20081) At the Technical Faculty of IT and Design, Department of Architecture, Design and Media Technology, Aalborg University, a 3-year Ph...
Ph D Stipend In Futuring And Design (7 20080), Aalborg University, Denmark, about 19 hours ago
PhD Stipend in futuring and design (7-20080) At the Technical Faculty of IT and Design, Department of Architecture, Design and Media Technology, Aalborg University Copenhagen, a 3-year PhD stipend...
Postdoc Positions On ‘Challenge Based Learning’ And ‘Education For Professionals’ (0.5 Fte) (# Of Pos: 4), Utrecht University, Netherlands, 4 days ago
Have you always wondered about how collaborations between universities and other societal partners can contribute to the learning of students or other professionals? We are looking for experienced...
Ph D Student Department Of Electronics And Information Systems, Ghent University, Belgium, 9 days ago
Last application date Jan 31, 2021 10:11 Department TW06 - Department of Electronics and Information Systems Employment category Doctoral fellow Contract Limited duration Degree Master of Science ...