About Ghent University
Ghent University is a world of its own. Employing more than 8,000 people, it is actively involved in education and research, management and administration, as well as technical and social service provision on a daily basis. It is one of the largest, most exciting employers in the area and offers great career opportunities. With 11 faculties and more than 80 departments offering state-of-the-art study programs grounded in research in a wide range of academic fields, Ghent University is a logical choice for its staff and students.
About the research team
The research team of Prof. Koen Raemdonck (Full Professor) is embedded in the Ghent Research Group on Nanomedicines at the laboratory for General Biochemistry and Physical Pharmacy, Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences at Ghent University. The group is a world-leading research lab on macromolecular drug delivery by nanomedicines. The lab hosts 5 professors and their multidisciplinary research teams, with on average 40 researchers with diverging scientific background, who collaborate closely on a daily basis. You will be part of a dynamic, pluralistic and multidisciplinary team that is highly motivated to perform high-level research on drug delivery. The credo of Ghent University is ‘Dare To Think’, a philosophy that is infiltrated into its daily activities of science and education and which we adopt in our own lab vision statement as well.
BIO-INSPIRED NANOCARRIERS FOR INHALATION THERAPY WITH RNA THERAPEUTICS
Currently, the exceptional therapeutic potential of RNA is not yet available for treatment of (chronic) respiratory pathologies due to a lack of enabling technologies. The team of Prof. Raemdonck is seeking a highly motivated and independent PhD student to work on ground-breaking RNA delivery technologies for inhalation therapy and beyond. The PhD student will work on the development, optimization and (in vitro/ex vivo/in vivo) application of bio-inspired nanocarriers with RNA therapeutics for application in lung-related pathologies, including infectious diseases. The project is of translational nature, aiming to merge fundamental insights with rational formulation design, and is expected to lead to high impact publications.
Your key tasks as a PhD student at the Raemdonck group (Ghent University) are to:
- execute an independent research project, under the direct supervision of Prof. Raemdonck and a postdoctoral researcher;
- participate in additional courses via the Doctoral School of Life Sciences and Medicine of Ghent University;
- contribute to the supervision and teaching of master students, academic writing and support of general (scientific) lab activities;
- present and disseminate your scientific results via (poster or oral) presentations at (inter)national scientific conferences and publications in academic journals;
- build and maintain an active (inter)national scientific network (e.g. with short dedicated research stays in other research teams);
- write and successfully defend a PhD thesis on the grounds of your research project
What we are looking for
The position is open to motivated candidates with a strong interest in advanced drug delivery, nucleic acid therapeutics, cell biology, biomaterials/nanomedicines and/or inhalation therapy. Eligible candidates must hold a (recently obtained) Master degree in Pharmaceutical Sciences, Biomedical Sciences, Biomedical Engineering, Biochemistry/Biotechnology or equivalent. Candidates should be able to communicate fluently in English and demonstrate excellent academic writing and presentation skills. Other important criteria are an analytical/critical/curious mind-set, enthusiastic personality, the ability to work both independent as in team, good communicator skills, and a mature scientific attitude.
What we can offer you
- This doctoral research project is fully funded by a European Union H2020 ERC Consolidator Grant (RESPIRNA), awarded to Prof. Raemdonck.
- We offer you a full-time PhD Fellowship of definite duration, consisting of an initial period of 12 months, which - upon positive evaluation - will be extended to a maximum of 48 months.
- Your contract will start on 1 October 2022 or as soon as possible afterwards.
- Your remuneration will be determined by salary scale WM1 to WM4. Several elements, including prior experience and family situation, will be factored into the calculation of the salary offered.
- As a reference, the net amount of the scholarship will be approx. € 2,250.00 per month, supplemented with a holiday allowance and an end-of-year bonus.
- You will be able to advance your academic career in various ways (e.g. participation in Doctoral School courses, development of research skills, academic writing skills, managerial skills, contribute to scientific and societal valorization of research,…).
- All Ghent University staff members enjoy a number of benefits, such as a wide range of training and education opportunities, 36 days of holiday leave (on an annual basis for a full-time job) supplemented by annual fixed bridge days, bicycle allowance and eco vouchers.
- It is possible to make arrangements for remote work and flexible office hours.
- We strive to achieve a healthy work-life balance and nurture a healthy and rewarding work environment in which individual differences are welcomed and valued.
How to apply
Apply by sending an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org before the application deadline (Friday August 19th). We do not accept late applications or applications that are complete.
Your application must include the following documents:
- Your CV
- An overview of your study results and ranking
- Your application/motivation letter
- A transcript of the required Master degree (if already in your possession). If you have a foreign diploma in a language other than our national languages (Dutch, French or German) or English, please add a translation in one of the mentioned languages.
- If you have relevant working experience, please include the names and contact details of at least one reference.
As Ghent University maintains an equal opportunities and diversity policy, everyone is encouraged to apply for this position.
For more information about this vacancy, please contact Prof. Koen Raemdonck (koen.raemdonck@UGent.be ). Selected candidates will be invited for an interview and further discussion. For more information about the lab, please check our website: https://www.biofys.ugent.be
Ph D Student: Inflammation And Lytic Cell Death Pathways, Ghent University, Belgium, 25 days ago
PhD student: Inflammation and lytic cell death pathways 05/09/2022 Location Ghent, Belgium Vacancy About the lab The research team of Prof. Mo Lamkanfi, also called the Laboratory of Medical Immun...
Ph D Assessing And Improving The Sustainability Of Medicines Over Their Life Cycle (24739) ..., Ghent University, Belgium, 6 days ago
→ Apply before 17/10/2022 (DD/MM/YYYY) 23:59 (Brussels Time) → Faculty of Bioscience Engineering → Department: BW24 - Groene Chemie en Technologie → Occupancy rate: 100% → Number of positions...
Ph D In Performance Modeling And Optimization Of Future Wi Fi Networks For Real Time Low Latency..., University of Antwerp, Belgium, 20 days ago
Job description Imec imec is the world-leading research and innovation hub in nanoelectronics and digital technologies. The combination of our widely acclaimed leadership in microchip technology ...
Postdoc Or Ph D Student In Unfolded Protein Response In Gut Homeostasis, VIB, Belgium, about 23 hours ago
About the lab and the project The VIB Center for Inflammation Research is part of the VIB Life Sciences institute and is connected to Ghent University. Our center focuses on the mechanisms driving...
Ph D Student Department Of Structural Engineering And Building Materials, Ghent University, Belgium, 21 days ago
Last application date Oct 03, 2022 00:00 Department TW14 - Department of Structural Engineering and Building Materials Contract Limited duration Degree Master of Science in Civil Engineering or St...
Ph D Vacancy In Design Of Next Generation Wi Fi On Software Defined Radio, Ghent University, Belgium, 16 days ago
Type vacature OAP Job title PhD Student Department Department of Information Technology Occupancy rate 100% Type of contract Limited duration Closing date 12/31/22 Diploma Masters degree from a un...