Last application date Jul 09, 2021 00:00
Department LA21 - Department of Plants and Crops
Contract Limited duration
Degree Master degree in Bioscience Engineering, Biosciences, Engineering, Physics, Biology, or an equivalent degree.
Occupancy rate 100%
Vacancy type Research staff
Relevance of green stem tissues to hydraulics of urban trees (international 4-year research project; cooperation of Ghent University (Prof. Kathy Steppe) and the University of Innsbruck (Prof. Stefan Mayr)).
The project deals with the relevance of green stem tissues to tree hydraulics of urban trees. Based on numerous methods, such as sap flow and stem diameter measurements or acoustic emission analyses, the functional importance of these tissues during drought and frost will be investigated in potted trees of several species, and in adult sycamore trees in Ghent and Innsbruck to compare their hydraulic performance under natural drought and winter stress in a temperate versus alpine climate.
- Literature survey on urban tree physiology.
- Development of setup for use of ultrasonic sensors on urban trees.
- Installation and follow-up of tree-monitors, ultrasonic systems and CITREE dendrometers on trees in Innsbruck.
- Assessment of vulnerability to drought, frost and salt stress in potted trees of several species.
- Data analyses and interpretation.
- Synthesis of research results in internal project reports and manuscripts for peer-reviewed journals.
- Presentation of results during national and international conferences, seminars and workshops.
- Participation in a collaborative international research network, with highly motivated and top-level researchers.
The candidate will work at the Department of Botany, University of Innsbruck (https://www.uibk.ac.at/botany/ ), research group Ecophysiology under the supervision of Prof. Stefan Mayr and of Prof. Kathy Steppe (Ghent University, Laboratory of Plant Ecology, Faculty of Bioscience Engineering). The PhD position will be funded by the Austrian Science Fund FWF.
Tentative starting date: September 2021.
- Highly motivated to obtain a PhD and write scientific publications.
- Basic understanding of quantitative data interpretation and processing (e.g., tree growth, sap flow).
- Experience, knowledge about and/or interest in tree monitoring techniques and modelling.
- Good MSc study results.
- Excellent communication skills in English – both orally and written (knowledge of German may be advantageous).
- Availability and flexibility for short-term mobility between Innsbruck and Ghent.
- Strong interests in tree physiology, climate change, state-of-the-art sensor technologies, citizen science and in integrating knowledge across (plant) science disciplines in developing science-based outcomes.
How to apply
- The application has to be submitted electronically (in a single pdf-file) to Stefan.Mayr@uibk.ac.at
- Include a motivation letter and your CV, and if possible, an overview of your grades.
- Submit your application before July 9th (deadline).
- For more information about the project, contact Prof. Dr. Stefan Mayr (Stefan.Mayr@uibk.ac.at ) or Prof. Dr. Kathy Steppe (kathy.steppe@UGent.be ).
Enac – Ph D Position In Plant Ecophysiology And Species Interactions, EPFL, Switzerland, about 2 hours ago
The Plant Ecology Research Laboratory PERL in the Institute of Environmental Engineering at EPFL (Lausanne, Switzerland) is offering a PhD position in plant ecophysiology starting in April 2022. P...
Ph D Position At The Professorship For Forest And Agroforest Systems (D/F/M) , Technical University of Munich, Germany, about 19 hours ago
24.09.2021, Wissenschaftliches Personal The job will be mainly associated with the Professorship for Forest and Agroforest Systems in Freising, Germany. The successful candidate will be focusing o...
Ph D Position (F/M/D) ( Institute Of Zoology And Anthropology) (Id 15806), Georg August University of Göttingen, Germany, about 22 hours ago
Einrichtung: Institute of Zoology and Anthropology (ID 15806) Ansprechpartner: Prof. Dr. Stefan Scheu Besetzungsdatum: ab sofort Veröffentlichungsdatum: 28.09.2021 The Institute of Zoology and An...
Ph D Position On Non Destructive 3 D Characterization And 4 D Monitoring Of Microbial Induced Pore Scale Processes Inside Stone (4 Yrs) (1.0 Fte), Utrecht University, Netherlands, about 9 hours ago
PhD position on non-destructive 3D characterization and 4D monitoring of microbial-induced pore-scale processes inside stone (4 yrs) (1.0 FTE) Functie The Department of Earth Sciences is now looki...
Ph D Student, Ghent University, Belgium, about 6 hours ago
Job description The Laboratory of Protistology and Aquatic Ecology within the Department of Biology of Ghent University (UGent, Belgium) is recruiting a new PhD student. The PhD student will be en...
Doctoral Fellow, Ghent University, Belgium, about 6 hours ago
Job description Do you want to apply for a multi-disciplinary & innovative project that combines both fundamental as applied science, and contributes to health promotion and disease prevention? In...