Let’s shape the future - University of Antwerp
The University of Antwerp is a dynamic, forward-thinking, European university. We offer an innovative academic education to more than 20 000 students, conduct pioneering scientific research and play an important service-providing role in society. We are one of the largest, international and innovative employers in the region. With more than 6000 employees from 100 different countries, we are helping to build tomorrow’s world every day. Through top scientific research, we push back boundaries and set a course for the future – a future that you can help to shape.
The Department of Economics in the Faculty of Business and Economics is looking for a full-time (100%) PhD researcher in the field of Applied Econometrics and Labour Economics.
- The candidate is expected to write a PhD thesis in Economics under the supervision of Prof. Suncica Vujic (Department of Economics, UAntwerpen) and Prof. Nick Deschacht (Department of Economics, KU Leuven).
- The research project, funded by the Research Foundation – Flanders (FWO ), is entitled “Gender pension gap in Europe: Determinants and perspectives for the future.” Based on the data available up to date, the research will consider the life-course perspective, demographic and economic factors, household roles and preferences, and individual country heterogeneity as factors determining the gender pension gap. The findings of the project will extend the theoretical knowledge in pension economics, indicate whether the current retirement systems in Europe are able to provide adequate pensions and offer insurance against an unexpectedly long life for both men and women, and shed light on policy challenges when trying to narrow the gender gap in old-age income.
- The candidate should qualify for and enrol in a doctoral programme, which includes course work in advanced economics. For more information follow this link .
- Both University of Antwerp and KU Leuven allow for a joint or double PhD degree. For more information follow this link .
- The candidate will be engaged in limited teaching activities, plus exam supervision.
- You have a strong interest in economics, applied econometrics and labour economics issues related to gender pension gap.
- You hold a Master degree in Economics, Applied Economics, Social-Economics or Business Engineering (preferably at MPhil level). Students currently in their last year are encouraged to apply.
- You have an excellent academic track record. The minimum requirement is at least one distinction (68% average grade) or an international equivalent.
- You have excellent language skills in spoken and written English.
- You have good knowledge of quantitative methods or econometrics and a strong motivation to further develop your skills in this domain. Knowledge of causal inference methods and Stata are a plus but not a requirement.
- Your research qualities are in line with the faculty and university research policies .
- Previous teaching experience is nice to have but not a requirement. Teaching competences are in line with the University of Antwerp’s educational vision.
- You can work independently, accurately and systematically with attention to detail, be creative and cooperative and a team-player.
What we offer
- We offer a full-time PhD scholarship for 1 year, extendable for another 3 years after yearly positive evaluation.
- Remuneration is at the level of a full-time research assistant at a Flemish university (i.e., approximately €2,000 net per month). For full salary scales for doctoral scholarship holders on the pay scales for Contract Research Staff (in Dutch: Bijzonder Academisch Personeel, BAP), visit this link .
- A stimulating work environment that will allow you to develop your research and teaching skills in a group that conducts research at the highest international level.
- Your main office will be at the University of Antwerp, City campus in Antwerp.
- Starting date: September 1, 2021 (or another date upon agreement).
- To find out more about working at the University of Antwerp, visit this link .
How to apply
- You can apply for this vacancy through the University of Antwerp’s online job application platform up to and including 30May 2021 (by midnight Brussels time). Click on the 'Apply' button, complete the online application form and be sure to include the following attachments:
- Frequently asked questions can be found here . For more information please contact Prof. Suncica Vujic, firstname.lastname@example.org .
- The selection committee will review all of the applications as soon as possible after the application deadline. The interviews will take place in the week beginning with June 28, 2021.
The University of Antwerp received the European Commission’s HR Excellence in Research Award for its HR policy. We are a sustainable, family-friendly organisation which invests in its employees’ growth. We encourage diversity and attach great importance to an inclusive working environment and equal opportunities, regardless of gender identity, disability, race, ethnicity, religion or belief, sexual orientation or age. We encourage people from diverse backgrounds and with diverse characteristics to apply.
Ph D Researcher Applied Econometrics And Labour Economics, University of Antwerp, Belgium, 2 days ago
Department: Department of Economics Regime Full-time The University of Antwerp is a dynamic, forward-thinking, European university. We offer an innovative academic education to more than 20 000 st...
Doctoral Scholarship Holder Economics With A Focus On Family Economics And/Or Social And Economic Networks., University of Antwerp, Belgium, 2 days ago
Department: Department of Economics Regime Full-time Let’s shape the future - University of Antwerp The University of Antwerp is a dynamic, forward-thinking university. We offer an innovative aca...
Doctoral Scholarship Holder Real Estate Economics And Finance, University of Antwerp, Belgium, 2 days ago
Department: Department of Accountancy and Finance Regime Full-time Let’s shape the future - University of Antwerp The University of Antwerp is a dynamic, forward-thinking, European university. We...
Doctoral Scholarship Holder In The Field Of Inland Navigation Economics, University of Antwerp, Belgium, 2 days ago
Department: Department of Transport and Regional Economics Regime Full-time Let’s shape the future - University of Antwerp The University of Antwerp is a dynamic, forward-thinking, European unive...
Ph D Student In The Field Of Innovation, Entrepreneurship And Knowledge Transfer At Universities, University of Antwerp, Belgium, about 8 hours ago
Department: Department Research Affairs & Innovation Regime Full-time The University of Antwerp is a dynamic, forward-thinking, European university. We offer an innovative academic education to m...
Two Doctoral Scholarship Holders In The Field Of Energy And Environmental Economics., University of Antwerp, Belgium, 2 days ago
Department: Department of Engineering Management Regime Full-time The University of Antwerp is a dynamic, forward-thinking, European university. We offer an innovative academic education to more ...