Who we are
The lab for Systems Biology of Kevin Verstrepen is a research team at VIB & University of Leuven. Our team focuses on genomics, genetics, epigenetics, transcriptomics, and evolution, using yeast as a model. We combine wet-lab and computational research to investigate how biological systems work and evolve and exploit this technology to generate superior industrial use. About half of the lab members are engaged in basic research, while the other half are involved in translational research, in most cases in direct collaborations with various companies.
Example publications include:
- J. Steensels, K.J. Verstrepen . (2014). Taming wild yeast: potential of conventional and nonconventional yeasts in industrial fermentations. Annu Rev Microbiol . 68: 61-80. (IF 12.9)
- J. Steensels, T. Snoek, E. Meersman, M. Picca Nicolino, M., K. Voordeckers, and K.J. Verstrepen (2014). Improving industrial yeast strains: exploiting natural and artificial diversity. Fems Microbiol. Rev . 38: 947-995. doi: 10.1111/1574-6976.12073 (IF 13.2).
- J. Steensels, B. Gallone and K.J. Verstrepen (2021). Interspecific hybridization as a driver of fungal evolution and adaptation. Nature Reviews Microbiology doi.org/10.1038/s41579-021-00537-4 (IF 34.2)
- K. Voordeckers, C. Colding, L. Grasso, B. Pardo, L. Hoes, J. Kominek, K. Gielens, K. Dekoster, J. Gordon, E. Van der Zande, P. Bircham, T. Swings, J. Michiels, P. Van Loo, S. Nuyts, P. Pasero, M. Lisby, and K.J. Verstrepen (2020). Ethanol exposure increases mutation rate through error-prone polymerases. Nature Communications 11, 3664 https://www.nature.com/article... (IF 11.9).
- J. Helsen, K. Voordeckers, L. Vanderwaeren, T. Santermans, M. Tsontaki, K.J. Verstrepen * and R. Jelier*. Gene loss predictably drives evolutionary adaptation. MBE 2020. doi: 10.1093/molbev/msaa172 (IF 14.8)
- Jariani, L. Vermeersch, B. Cerulus, G. Perez-Samper, K. Voordeckers, T. Van Brussel, B. Thienpont, D. Lambrechts and K.J. Verstrepen (2020). A new protocol for single-cell RNA-seq reveals stochastic gene expression during lag phase in budding yeast. eLife 2020;9:e55320 DOI: 10.7554/eLife.55320 (IF 7.5).
- B. Gallone, J. Steensels, S. Mertens, M.C. Dzialo, J.L. Gordon, R. Wauters, F.A. Theßeling, F. Bellinazzo, V. Saels, B. Herrera-Malaver, T. Prahl, C. White, M. Hutzler, F. Meußdoerffer, P. Malcorps, B. Souffriau, L. Daenen, G. Baele, S. Maere and K.J. Verstrepen (2019). Interspecific hybridisation facilitates niche adaptation in beer yeast. Nature Ecology and Evolution. https://doi.org/10.1038/s41559... (IF 11).
- 11 patents, >20 yeasts licensed to industry
The lab is located at Leuven University, one of the oldest and most prominent universities in Europe consistently ranked within the top 50 worldwide universities. Leuven is located 10 miles from Brussels, with frequent direct train connections to Brussels airport.
We are looking for a highly motivated and talented wet-lab PhD-student in yeast molecular biology and synthetic biology. In your role, you will work on an exciting research project aimed at using yeasts as sustainable bio-factories. You will be directly collaborating with our team of wet-lab scientists who are using synthetic biology and high-throughput phenotyping of yeast with the goal of building better industrial yeasts for the sustainable production of various (food) products. This includes using a lot of different wet-lab techniques, ranging from PCR, transformation, and genome editing to fermentation assays, high-throughput microscopy, and/or chromatography.
- You have an MSc degree in molecular biology and graduated within the top 20% of your class.
- You have hands-on experience with molecular techniques like PCR, cloning, transformation, protein analysis, chromatography… is a plus
- You are fluent in English, for both written and oral communication
Key personal characteristics
- You are enthused about scientific research and have a strong self-motivation
- You have good, open communication skills and are eager to collaborate in an international team
- You are a fast learner and have a critical mindset
- The ability to work on scientifically exceptional and high-impact research topics
- Full-time appointment as a Ph.D. student at VIB / KU Leuven, a highly-ranked research institute with a competitive pay scale and benefits (health insurance, sports facilities,... )
- A stimulating and supportive international research environment (with English as the main language)
- State-of-the-art infrastructure
- Job is available immediately, starting date is negotiable
- Financial support is available. However, Ph.D. candidates are expected to seek opportunities and apply to secure fellowship funding.
- Various training opportunities within VIB and KU Leuven to broaden your expertise and skills
How to apply?
Motivated candidates are asked to apply online. Additional requirements:
- Please upload your full CV including a list of your scientific publications (if applicable) and motivation letter
- Please add the contact details of at least two references
More information: http://www.kuleuven.be/verstre...
Our institute greatly values diverse standpoints and promotes an inclusive environment in which everyone is respected.
Ph D Student (Dr. Rer. Nat.) (F/M/D), Universitätsmedizin Göttingen, Germany, about 15 hours ago
The Department of Molecular Oncology University Medical Center Göttingen is looking as of 1st September 2022 for a About us Our research group within the Department of Molecular Oncology is applyi...
Ph D Position In Information And Communication Technology, Early Stage Researcher, Tallinn University of Technology, Estonia, 26 days ago
Tallinn University of Technology, School of Information Technologies, Department of Software Science offers a 4-year PhD position in the field of information and communication technology. Proposed...
Ph D In Computational Fluid Dynamics, University of Parma, Italy, 10 days ago
MINIMAL - sMoothed partIcle hydrodyNamIcs for MultiphAse fLow Multiphase flows are encountered in most physical processes and engineering applications. The present project will look at the physics...
Ph D Opportunity In Neurobiology , University of Basel, Switzerland, about 9 hours ago
We offer you To work in an international team at the Transfaculty Research Platform, Molecular & Cognitive Neuroscience, University of Basel (https://mcn.unibas.ch/de/divisions/neurobiology/ ). Re...
Ph D In Medicinal Chemistry (M/F), CNRS, Suriname, 14 days ago
The Institute of Chemistry of Natural Substances is a CNRS unit whose research areas range from chemistry to biology. It is part of the University of Paris Saclay. The ICSN is located on the campu...
Ph D Student Position On Exosome/ Extracellular Vesicles Research In Tumoral Environment, UNIVERSITY OF LIEGE, Belgium, 2 days ago
Extracellular vesicles (EV) are small vesicles released by cells in the extracellular milieu that mediate cell-cell communication. EVs have been shown to contain RNA, DNA, lipid and proteins that ...