In the framework of the interuniversity research project HOUDINI we are seeking a PhD student eager to contribute to the development and characterization of a humanized mouse model for Charcot-Marie-Tooth disease.
This project is a large inter-university research collaboration between the KULeuven, UHasselt and UAntwerp, Belgium. Under participation of the VIB Laboratory for neurobiology of Prof. Ludo Van Den Bosch at VIB-KU Leuven, the Peripheral Neuropathy research group of Prof. Vincent Timmerman, the FIERCE Lab (Functional imaging & stem cells) of Prof. Esther Wolfs at BIOMED, UHasselt and the Laboratory of Translational Immunomodulation, BIOMED, UHasselt of Prof. Markus Kleinewietfeld.
The joined PhD will be integrated in two research teams, the Laboratory of Translational Immunomodulation , BIOMED institute of Prof. Markus Kleinewietfeld and the Peripheral Neuropathy research group of Prof. Vincent Timmerman.
About the HOUDINI project
Charcot-Marie-Tooth disease type 1 (CMT1) is a demyelinating peripheral neuropathy characterized by slowly progressing muscle weakness and the development of sensory problems. CMT1 is a genetic disease caused by mutations or copy number variations in several genes in Schwann cells, responsible for myelination. There is no cure for CMT because of an insufficient understanding of the pathogenesis. In this project, we start from stem cells and develop a humanized mouse model for CMT1. The model will recapitulate the disease, including the impact of inflammatory responses. We inject stem cell-derived Schwann cells in the presence of a humanized immune system. We will also get better insights into the disease mechanism by using Schwann cells containing CMT1-causing genetic alterations. The humanized mouse model offers a novel and unique opportunity to validate candidate therapies for dominant and recessive forms of CMT1 and will contribute to a better understanding of CMT.
- You must hold an Academic Master recognized by the EU in one of the following disciplines: immunology, biochemistry, biology, bioengineering, biomedical or pharmaceutical sciences.
- Outstanding academic study performances according to ECST grading scale.
- FELASA C degree (or EU equivalent) for handling small model organisms.
- Strong interest in basic research, molecular mechanisms of neuroscience and immunology.
- You act with attention to quality, integrity, creativity and cooperation.
- You are willing to perform a joined PhD at two universities (UHasselt and UAntwerp).
- You can speak and write fluently in English.
- You have a driving license.
What we offer
- A challenging project in two different research groups (UHasselt and UAntwerp).
- The research will be performed at the molecular, cellular and organismal level.
- We make use of rapidly advancing technologies in cell biology, induced pluripotent stem cell and organoid development, mouse modelling and neuroimmunology.
- We offer training, participation in congresses and international collaboration.
- Access to state-of-the-art infrastructure and core facilities in a vibrant, excellent research environment operating at an interuniversity level.
- Dedicated training programs available through UHasselt and UAntwerp to broaden your expertise and enhance your skill set.
- You will do most of your work at UHasselt (Campus Diepenbeek) and UAntwerp (Campus Drie Eiken) in a dynamic and stimulating working environment for high-level neuroscience research.
- Comprehensive support from the international offices of the UAntwerp and UHasselt.
Want to apply?
- Motivated candidates are asked to apply online.
- Additional required information:
- detailed CV
- motivation letter
- name and contact information of a reference person (preferentially from a former supervisor during your master's studies)
- The selection committee will review all of the applications as soon as possible after the application deadline. As soon as a decision is made, we will inform you about the next steps in the selection procedure, including interviews.
Ph D Candidate In Epigenetics & Gene Regulation , University of Amsterdam, Netherlands, 9 days ago
Epigenetic regulation of cell identity is essential for cell functionality and tissue homeostasis. Understanding the dynamics of epigenetic programming holds significant impact for deciphering the...
Ph D Fellowship In Diabetes Research At Uc Louvain, Brussels, Belgium, UCLouvain, Belgium, 29 days ago
1 Feb 2024 Job Information Organisation/Company UCLouvain Department IREC Institute Research Field Biological sciences » Biology Biological sciences » Laboratory animal science Biological sciences...
Ph D Position In Cancer Research, Institute of Biophysics, Czech Academy of Sciences, Czech, 25 days ago
4 Feb 2024 Job Information Organisation/Company Institute of Biophysics, Czech Academy of Sciences Research Field Biological sciences » Biology Chemistry » Biochemistry Researcher Profile First St...
Ph D Position In Cell Biology, Institute of Cell Biology, Biocenter, Medical University Innsbruck, Austria, Austria, 16 days ago
14 Feb 2024 Job Information Organisation/Company Institute of Cell Biology, Biocenter, Medical University Innsbruck, Austria Research Field Biological sciences Researcher Profile First Stage Resea...
Doctoral (Ph D) Student Position In Normal And Malignant Hematopoiesis, Karolinska Institutet, Sweden, 16 days ago
To be a doctoral student means to devote oneself to a research project under supervision of experienced researchers and following an individual study plan. For a doctoral degree, the equivalent of...
Exploring Pancreatic Cell Collectives: Ph D Opportunity In Physiology And Ai/Ml, Medical University of Vienna, Austria, 22 days ago
8 Feb 2024 Job Information Organisation/Company Medical University of Vienna Department Center for physiology and pharmacology Research Field Medical sciences » Other Physics » Biophysics Biologic...