The Sleegers lab at the VIB-UAntwerp Center for Molecular Neurology is looking for an enthusiastic colleague for a Ph.D. position on the genetics of Alzheimer’s disease.
In this project, the Ph.D. student will make use of state-of-the-art –omics methods and analytical strategies to identify genetic variants that predict expansion of the pathological hallmark lesions of Alzheimer’s disease, including different types of neuronal cell death, and to use these data to predict the individual age-of-onset of distinct Alzheimer lesions. Prediction of the age-of-onset of preclinical Alzheimer lesions will help to detect individuals that are potential candidates for Alzheimer prevention trials. The project will be performed in close collaboration with Prof. Dr. Dietmar Thal and colleagues at the Laboratory of Neuropathology at KU Leuven, Belgium.
We are looking for a motivated researcher with an interest in genetics and neurodegeneration. This position is open to candidates that have:
- Master’s degree in biochemistry, biotechnology, biomedical sciences, neuroscience or related disciplines according to EU standards
- Excellent study results
- Experience with genetics and/or biostatistics (R, Python, …)
- Excellent verbal and written English communication skills
- Ability to formulate research objectives and to design an experimental plan
- Passion for science, flexibility and team spirit
- Attention to quality, integrity, creativity and cooperation
What we offer
- We offer a doctoral scholarship for a period of two years in a dynamic and stimulating working environment. Following a positive evaluation, the scholarship can be renewed once for another two-year period.
- Your monthly scholarship amount is calculated according to the scholarship amounts for doctoral scholarship holders on the pay scales for contract research staff (Dutch: Bijzonder Academisch Personeel, BAP).
- At the VIB - UAntwerp Center for Molecular Neurology and VIB , the Ph.D. student will benefit from established collaborations and access to centralized facilities with expertise in genomics, functional genomics and cell biology, proteomics, microscopy, structural biology, technology development, and bioinformatics. VIB provides a highly interactive environment and ample training opportunities for its researchers.
Want to apply?
- You can apply for this vacancy through the VIB’s online job application, Jobsoid until Feb 15th, 2021. Please complete the online application procedure and include a detailed CV containing a list of publications (if any), a motivation letter describing research interests, and contact details of 1-2 referees.
Postdoc Position Disease Mechanisms And Therapy Development For Neurodevelopmental Epilepsies Due To Voltage Gated Potassium Channel Mutations, University of Antwerp, Belgium, about 22 hours ago
Department: Department of Biomedical Sciences Regime Full-time The University of Antwerp is a dynamic, forward-thinking, European university. We offer an innovative academic education to more tha...
Postdoc Position 'Complex Genetics And Microglia Function In Alzheimer’s Disease', University of Antwerp, Belgium, about 22 hours ago
Department: Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences Regime Full-time Postdoc position: Complex genetics and microglia function in Alzheimer’s disease About the labs The Sleegers lab (Complex Geneti...
Postdoc Position In Immunology Of Type 1 Diabetes (F/M/X), Helmholtz Zentrum München - Deutsches Forschungszentrum für Gesundheit und Umwelt, Germany, 5 days ago
Area of research: Scientific / postdoctoral posts Starting date: Fri, 26 Feb 2021 Contract time limit: Fri, 30 Apr 2021 Job description: Helmholtz Zentrum München is a research center with the mis...
Ph D Student Development Of Immune Mediated Ttp, Sanquin Blood Supply Foundation (Sanquin), Netherlands, 23 days ago
Background and project Sanquin is a knowledge-driven not-for-profit organisation that supplies life-saving products, focusing on the needs of the care sector. Through scientific research, Sanquin ...
Ph D Candidate For Dft Md Simulations And Vibrational Spectroscopy, Radboud University, Netherlands, 22 days ago
A PhD candidate for the development of DFT-MD simulations and vibrational spectroscopy. Over the last few years, the combination of DFT-MD simulations and vibrational spectroscopy has shown to be ...
Ph D In Biomedical Science, Sanquin Research, Netherlands, 23 days ago
For a project that aims to study the impact of ADAMTS13 conformation on development of immune-mediated TTP, we are looking for an ambitious and pro-active PhD student. Background and project Sanqu...