Department: Department of Biomedical Sciences
PhD position – Genetics of neuropathological changes in Alzheimer’s disease
The Sleegers lab at the VIB-UAntwerp Center for Molecular Neurology is looking for an enthusiastic colleague for a PhD position on the genetics of Alzheimer’s disease.
In this project, the PhD student will make use of state-of-the-art –omics methods and analytical strategies to identify genetic variants that predict expansion of the pathological hallmark lesions of Alzheimer’s disease, including different types of neuronal cell death, and to use these data to predict the individual age-of-onset of distinct Alzheimer lesions. Prediction of the age-of-onset of preclinical Alzheimer lesions will help to detect individuals that are potential candidates for Alzheimer prevention trials. The project will be performed in close collaboration with Prof. Dr. Dietmar Thal and colleagues at the Laboratory of Neuropathology at KU Leuven, Belgium.
We are looking for a motivated researcher with an interest in genetics and neurodegeneration. This position is open to candidates that have:
- Master’s degree in biochemistry, biotechnology, biomedical sciences, neuroscience or related disciplines according to EU standards
- Excellent study results
- Experience with genetics and/or biostatistics (R, Python, …)
- Excellent verbal and written English communication skills
- Ability to formulate research objectives and to design an experimental plan
- Passion for science, flexibility and team spirit
- Attention to quality, integrity, creativity and cooperation
What we offer
- We offer a doctoral scholarship for a period of two years in a dynamic and stimulating working environment. Following a positive evaluation, the scholarship can be renewed once for another two-year period.
- Your monthly scholarship amount is calculated according to the scholarship amounts for doctoral scholarship holders on the pay scales for contract research staff (Dutch: Bijzonder Academisch Personeel, BAP).
- Find out more about working at the University of Antwerp here .
- At the VIB - UAntwerp Center for Molecular Neurology and VIB , the PhD student will benefit from established collaborations and access to centralized facilities with expertise in genomics, functional genomics and cell biology, proteomics, microscopy, structural biology, technology development, and bioinformatics. VIB provides a highly interactive environment and ample training opportunities for its researchers.
Want to apply?
- You can apply for this vacancy through the University of Antwerp’s online job application platform until Feb 15th , 2021. Click on the 'Apply' button, complete the online application form and be sure to include the following attachments: detailed CV containing a list of publications (if any), a motivation letter describing research interests, and contact details of 1-2 referees.
- The selection committee will review all the applications as soon as possible after the application deadline. As soon as a decision has been made, we will inform you about the next steps in the selection procedure.
- If you have any questions about the online application form, please check the frequently asked questions or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org . If you have any questions about the job itself, please contact email@example.com .
The University of Antwerp received the European Commission’s HR Excellence in Research Award for its HR policy. We are a sustainable, family-friendly organization which invests in its employees’ growth. We encourage diversity and attach great importance to an inclusive working environment and equal opportunities, regardless of gender identity, disability, race, ethnicity, religion or belief, sexual orientation or age. We encourage people from diverse backgrounds and with diverse characteristics to apply.
Postdoc Position: Disease Mechanisms And Therapy Development For Neurodevelopmental Epilepsies, VIB, Belgium, about 1 hour ago
Postdoc position: Disease mechanisms and therapy development for neurodevelopmental epilepsies due to voltage-gated potassium channel mutations Position The Weckhuysen team at the VIB-Uantwer...
Postdoc Position In Immunology Of Type 1 Diabetes (F/M/X), Helmholtz Zentrum München - Deutsches Forschungszentrum für Gesundheit und Umwelt, Germany, about 6 hours ago
Area of research: Scientific / postdoctoral posts Starting date: Fri, 26 Feb 2021 Contract time limit: Fri, 30 Apr 2021 Job description: Helmholtz Zentrum München is a research center with the mis...
Post Doctoral Fellowship, Institute of Biomedical Sciences/University of São Paulo, Brazil, 11 days ago
The Institute of Biomedical Sciences, University of São Paulo, has a postdoctoral position, with a scholarship from FAPESP, under the Thematic Project "Role of DNA damage and mitochondrial functio...
Postdoctoral Fellow Positions In B Cell Development And Relevant Diseases (Scholarship), Karolinska Institute, Sweden, about 18 hours ago
The Department of Biosciences and Nutrition performs research and education in several areas of medical science including aging, Alzheimer, bioorganic chemistry, biomaterial, molecular endocrinolo...
Ph D Position Micro Rna Based Therapeutics For Alzheimer’s Disease, University of Amsterdam, Netherlands, about 12 hours ago
Are you fascinated by Molecular Biology and have proven expertise with Molecular Biology Techniques? Are you exceptionally interested in collaborative projects? Do you want to contribute to the ch...
Ph D Student Development Of Immune Mediated Ttp, Sanquin Blood Supply Foundation (Sanquin), Netherlands, 17 days ago
Background and project Sanquin is a knowledge-driven not-for-profit organisation that supplies life-saving products, focusing on the needs of the care sector. Through scientific research, Sanquin ...