(ref. BAP-2019-425)Laatst aangepast : 18/06/2019
We are a young and dynamic lab that is part of Belgium’s highest-ranked university, KU Leuven. It is a leading European research university, which ranks first in Europe in terms of innovation. This PhD position will be well embedded in local expertise on single cell analyses, as we are part of the SymBioSys network aiming to advance computational methods in single cell analyses, and of the Leuven Cell Center, which joins research capabilities of several labs having a major focus on applications of single cell omics technologies. We share campus with Belgium’s biggest hospital, and have ongoing collaborations with clinicians for patient sample procurement to maximize potential clinical impact. We perform state-of-the-art research in epigenetics, and aim for a functional rather than correlative understanding of the role of epigenetics in biology and disease.
The Laboratory for Functional Epigenetics is looking for a PhD candidate to join our team to investigate the role of the epigenome in generating transcriptional heterogeneity. Cellular heterogeneity is key to multiple aspects of normal development, physiology and to diseases such as cancer. However, the biological control of cellular variability and heterogeneity has remained vastly underexplored, in part because heterogeneity is often obscured in bulk cell omics analyses. The advent of single cell omics technologies however opens up exciting new opportunities to study heterogeneity at the cellular level, a fundamental unit of biology. To help us in our quest to understand the role of the epigenome in heterogeneity control, we are looking for a PhD candidate eager to develop novel computational methods to quantify heterogeneity in a single cell omics datasets. Single cell datasets will include transciptomic, epigenomic and open chromatin analyses of tumours, and multi-omic combinations thereof. Successful candidates will have the option of being cross-trained in both computational and experimental work.
- Applicants should hold a Master degree in bioinformatics, mathematics, physics, engineering or a biological or biomedical degree with additional training in bioinformatics.
- We are explicitly looking for innovative, creative personalities with ambition and a hands-on, can-do attitude.
- Programming/data analysis experience is required (preferably R).
- Knowledge of statistics, epigenetics and/or NGS data analysis is a strong plus.
- A proven track record of interest in (epi)genetics or biomedicine is a plus
- Motivated students of all nationalities with a strong commitment to basic and/or clinical research are invited to apply.
- Excellent training conditions for bioinformatics within a team of specialists, with expertise in epigenetics, genetics and oncology.
- Access to state-of-the-art infrastructure and possibility to invest in new infrastructure as needed
- A stimulating and diverse research program in a world-class academic environment.
- Start date: as soon as possible - the position is immediately available. We foresee a 4-year affiliation in total, contingent on successful evaluation by the doctoral school after 1 year.
For more information please contact Prof. dr. Bernard Thienpont, tel.: +32 16 37 32 08, mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Candidates who applied earlier on this same vacancy, don't have to apply again.
KU Leuven seeks to foster an environment where all talents can flourish, regardless of gender, age, cultural background, nationality or impairments. If you have any questions relating to accessibility or support, please contact us at diversiteit.HR@kuleuven.be.
Ph D Candidate, University of Crete, Greece, 2 days ago
Bachelor in Biology from domestic Universities or equivalent from foreign Universities recognized by DOATAP MSc in Biochemistry, Cell Biology or respective fields Confirmed PhD candidate by submit...
One Or More Postdoc Positions In Diabetic Endothelial Cell Remodelling And Physiology , University of Aarhus ;, Denmark, about 1 hour ago
The Department of Biomedicine at Faculty of Health at Aarhus University invites applications for one or more positions as Postdoc in The Laboratory for Renal Cell Remodeling and Regeneration as pe...
Ph D/Postdoc Position In Modeling Cellular Decision Making During Multicellular Development (1.0 Fte), Utrecht University, Netherlands, 1 day ago
The Ten Tusscher lab invites applications for a PhD or postdoctoral research position in Computational Developmental Biology. The focus of the project will be to reveal the regulatory logic of cel...
Postdoc Position(S) Available In The Organoid Models Of Regeneration And Disease , ShanghaiTech University ;, China, 8 days ago
ShanghaiTech University - Lab at the iHuman Institute The newly launched ‘Organoid Models of Regeneration and Disease’ lab at iHuman Institute, ShanghaiTech University is actively seeking highly m...
Master Student Internship In Investigation Of The Electrochemical Storage Performances Of New..., Luxembourg Institute of Science and Technology, Luxembourg, 25 days ago
The aim of the internship is to work on the synthesis of new carbon based copper composites. In a framework of an ongoing industrial project, the candidate will fabricate new carbon copper composi...
Two Postdoctoral Positions In Cell Calcium Signaling Newly Established Mikoshiba Lab , ShanghaiTech University ;, China, 3 days ago
ShanghaiTech University The Mikoshiba lab at ShanghaiTech University is recruiting ambitious and highly motivated individuals for two funded postdoctoral positions. The Mikoshiba lab studies the c...