(ref. BAP-2019-425)Laatst aangepast : 18/06/2019
We are a young and dynamic lab that is part of Belgium’s highest-ranked university, KU Leuven. It is a leading European research university, which ranks first in Europe in terms of innovation. This PhD position will be well embedded in local expertise on single cell analyses, as we are part of the SymBioSys network aiming to advance computational methods in single cell analyses, and of the Leuven Cell Center, which joins research capabilities of several labs having a major focus on applications of single cell omics technologies. We share campus with Belgium’s biggest hospital, and have ongoing collaborations with clinicians for patient sample procurement to maximize potential clinical impact. We perform state-of-the-art research in epigenetics, and aim for a functional rather than correlative understanding of the role of epigenetics in biology and disease.
The Laboratory for Functional Epigenetics is looking for a PhD candidate to join our team to investigate the role of the epigenome in generating transcriptional heterogeneity. Cellular heterogeneity is key to multiple aspects of normal development, physiology and to diseases such as cancer. However, the biological control of cellular variability and heterogeneity has remained vastly underexplored, in part because heterogeneity is often obscured in bulk cell omics analyses. The advent of single cell omics technologies however opens up exciting new opportunities to study heterogeneity at the cellular level, a fundamental unit of biology. To help us in our quest to understand the role of the epigenome in heterogeneity control, we are looking for a PhD candidate eager to develop novel computational methods to quantify heterogeneity in a single cell omics datasets. Single cell datasets will include transciptomic, epigenomic and open chromatin analyses of tumours, and multi-omic combinations thereof. Successful candidates will have the option of being cross-trained in both computational and experimental work.
- Applicants should hold a Master degree in bioinformatics, mathematics, physics, engineering or a biological or biomedical degree with additional training in bioinformatics.
- We are explicitly looking for innovative, creative personalities with ambition and a hands-on, can-do attitude.
- Programming/data analysis experience is required (preferably R).
- Knowledge of statistics, epigenetics and/or NGS data analysis is a strong plus.
- A proven track record of interest in (epi)genetics or biomedicine is a plus
- Motivated students of all nationalities with a strong commitment to basic and/or clinical research are invited to apply.
- Excellent training conditions for bioinformatics within a team of specialists, with expertise in epigenetics, genetics and oncology.
- Access to state-of-the-art infrastructure and possibility to invest in new infrastructure as needed
- A stimulating and diverse research program in a world-class academic environment.
- Start date: as soon as possible - the position is immediately available. We foresee a 4-year affiliation in total, contingent on successful evaluation by the doctoral school after 1 year.
For more information please contact Prof. dr. Bernard Thienpont, tel.: +32 16 37 32 08, mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Candidates who applied earlier on this same vacancy, don't have to apply again.
KU Leuven seeks to foster an environment where all talents can flourish, regardless of gender, age, cultural background, nationality or impairments. If you have any questions relating to accessibility or support, please contact us at diversiteit.HR@kuleuven.be.
Ph D Candidate Single Cell Studies In Muscular Dystrophy, Leiden University Medical Center (LUMC), Netherlands, 26 days ago
The research project aims to elucidate the molecular mechanisms that underlie the pathophysiology of facioscapulohumeral muscular dystrophy at single cell level. You will have the opportunity to a...
Postdoctoral Position In Computational Single Cell Biology (M / F / D), Max Planck Institute of Immunobiology and Epigenetics (MPI-IE), Germany, 28 days ago
We are offering a h3. *Postdoctoral Position in Computational Single-Cell Biology (m/f/d)* The Max Planck Institute of Immunobiology and Epigenetics in Freiburg, Germany, has an opening for an ERC...
Postdoctoral Position To Study Tumor Heterogeneity, Université Libre de Bruxelles (ULB), Belgium, 3 days ago
Our laboratory studies stem cells and cancer (Driessens Nature 2012, Boumahdi Nature 2014, Sanchez-Danes Nature 2016, Van Keymeulen Nature 2015, Nassar Nature Medicine 2015, Latil Cell Stem Cell 2...
Bioinformatics Analyst Position, Centre For Genomic Regulation, Spain, 22 days ago
The Institute The Centro Nacional de Análisis Genómico (CNAG-CRG) is one of the largest Genome Sequencing Centers in Europe. CNAG-CRG researchers participate in major International Genomic Initiat...
Ph D Student | Physiology, Amsterdam UMC, location VU University Medical Center, Netherlands, 8 days ago
We are looking for a motivated PhD student who has been trained in cell culture and molecular techniques who is willing to join our research team! What will you do Within the department of Physiol...
Funded Ph D Student Positions At The Helmholtz International Epigenetics Research School In Munich, Helmholtz Zentrum München - German Research Center for Environmental Health (HMGU), Germany, 17 days ago
*The Helmholtz Zentrum München* in Munich, Germany, is member of one of the leading research associations in Europe - the Helmholtz Association of German Research Centers. The aim of our research ...