The Vaccine and Infectious Disease Institute (VAXINFECTIO) and the Global Health Institute of the Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences at University of Antwerp (UAntwerp) is looking for a full-time (100%) PhD in Biostatistics for the EBOVAC3 project
VAXINFECTIO is aimed at integrated vaccine and microbiological research with a focus on increasing the understanding of the immune response in prophylactic and therapeutic vaccines and on the containment of antibiotic resistance (www.uantwerpen.be/en/rg/vaxinfectio ).
The Global Health Institute focusses on health issues transcending national boundaries and are thus beyond the capacity of individual countries to address through domestic institutions. Their research activities cover diverse domains such as reproductive health, management of chronic diseases, (neglected) infectious diseases and vaccine preventable diseases (www.uantwerpen.be/en/rg/global-health-institute ).
There is a tremendous need to have a vaccine available that can prevent and or mitigate future Ebola outbreaks from dramatic spread. An international consortium aims to address this need of accelerating the development of a prophylactic Ebola vaccine via the EBOVAC3 project supported by IMI (https://www.imi.europa.eu/projects-results/project-factsheets/ebovac3 ).
The consortium is involved in a Phase 2 study to evaluate the immunogenicity and safety of a heterologous vaccine regimen against Ebola in health care workers in the Democratic Republic of the Congo. Conducting a trial in a country that has experienced a number of Ebola outbreaks improves preparedness for a future outbreak and indirectly benefits the population at risk.
Therefore, VAXINFECTIO and the Global Health Institute are looking for experts in statistics to join and strengthen their team in order to perform high quality research within the EBOVAC3 project.
- Minimum master’s degree in (bio)statistics, mathematics, computer science or a related field
- Knowledge of programming language C/C++ and statistical software packages (e.g. SAS, R)
- Knowledge about and experience with industry standards related to Data Management, i.e. CDISC, ADAM, is a plus
- Ability to effectively apply knowledge and skills in a highly organized fashion while adhering to regulatory guidelines and Standard Operating Procedures
- Excellent organizational skills and good analytical/problem-solving skills
- Strong interest in scientific work, flexible and strong sense of initiative and responsibility
- Good writing and communication skills
- Fluent in English, both written and spoken, knowledge of Dutch and French is an asset
- Ability to work productively with minimal supervision and to be able to set and meet timelines
You will be supervised by Prof. Dr. Niel Hens and report to Prof. Dr. Niel Hens and the EBOVAC project coordinator, who has a direct functional link with the Principal Investigators of this clinical trial at UAntwerp.
- Provide guidance to develop and export databases for statistical analysis
- Review protocols and plans for completeness, and critically appraise the soundness of statistical analyses
- Analyze data with the appropriate statistical techniques, interpret results and clearly formulate and communicate research findings
- Programming of the statistical techniques in C/C++ or other statistical software
- Use of good statistical practices and software to ensure data integrity and reproducibility
- Provide training on statistics to study teams (in Belgium and international settings including remote areas in Africa)
- Optional: teaching activities in statistics
- An intellectually stimulating and international interdisciplinary research environment and collaborative network, with room for personal initiative.
- A doctoral scholarship for a period of two years, with the possibility of renewal for a further two-year period after positive evaluation
- Probable Starting date: as soon as possible
- a gross monthly grant ranging from € 2.232,27 - € 2.596,27;
- Applications may only be submitted online , until the closing date 31 May 2020. The application form must be completed, including a motivation letter.
- The selection committee will review all of the applications as soon as possible after the application deadline. As soon as a decision has been made, we will inform you about the next step(s) in the selection procedure.
- More information about the application form can be obtained from email@example.com
- If you have any questions about the job itself, please contact Prof. Dr. Niel Hens, firstname.lastname@example.org
The University of Antwerp is a family friendly organization, with a focus on equal opportunities and diversity. Our HR-policy for researchers was awarded by the European Commission with the quality label HR Excellence in research .
We support the Science4Refugees initiative and encourage asylum-seeking, refugee scientists and researchers to apply for a job at the University of Antwerp.
Doctoral Scholarship Holder In The Field Of Medical Statistics, University of Antwerp, Belgium, 1 day ago
Department : Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences Regime : Full-time The University of Antwerp is a dynamic, forward-thinking, university. We offer an innovative academic education to more tha...
Doctoral Scholarship Holder, Innovative Survey Methodologies To Study The Effectiveness Of Health..., University of Antwerp, Belgium, 27 days ago
Department : Department of Communication Studies Regime : Full-time The Department of Political Sciences in the Faculty of Social Sciences, the Belgian Nuclear Research Centre SCK CEN and the cons...
Doctoral Scholarship Holder, Radon Health Communication, University of Antwerp, Belgium, 27 days ago
Department : Department of Communication Studies Regime : Full-time The Department of Communication Studies in the Faculty of Social Sciences, the Belgian Nuclear Research Centre SCK CEN and the c...
Ph D Position, Translating Scientific Concepts & Dilemmas Into Teaching Material, University of Antwerp, Belgium, 1 day ago
Departement : Departement Fysica Regime : Voltijds Project Description STEM stands for Science Technology Engineering and Mathematics, and thus it encompasses several disciplines essential to 21st...
Doctoral Student, Pandemics & Inequality In History, University of Antwerp, Belgium, 23 days ago
Department : Department of History Regime : Full-time Pandemics & Inequality in History: an Exploration of Household Budgets in Belgium / the Southern Low Countries. Your research is part of the n...
Doctoral Scholarship Holder, Aquatic Environmental Biology, University of Antwerp, Belgium, 1 day ago
Department : Department of Biology Regime : Full-time The Department of Biology in the Faculty of Science is looking for a full-time (100%) Doctoral scholarship holder in the field of aquatic envi...