Description of the host institution and research group
Are you a doctoral or post-doctoral researcher thinking about your next career move? KU Leuven – Europe’s most innovative university (Reuters) - allows you to work in a first-class research environment. KU Leuven is one of the top universities (42nd ) in the world according to the 2022 “Times Higher Education ” ranking and ranked 7th (1st in Europe) in the 2019 “World’s Most Innovative Universities ” ranking by Reuters.
The research group interfacial and surface engineering research (iR) led by Prof. Veerle Vandeginste is based in the beautiful city of Bruges (west Belgium). Our focus is on the development of new sustainable materials with advanced or smart properties for various applications (coatings, green energy, carbon utilization, electronics, wearables, etc.). The motivation behind our research is driven by the challenge of global warming and finite resources. Prof. Vandeginste has been an independent research fellow at Imperial College London (one of the top 10 universities in the world) and later an assistant/associate professor of chemistry at the University of Nottingham, UK (with multimillion project funding from European Commission, UK research councils and industry).
MSCA postdoctoral fellowship
Postdoctoral Fellowship (PFs) is the new initiative of Marie Skłodowska-Curie Actions (formerly individual fellowship) from the European Commission. The objective of PFs is to support researchers’ careers and foster excellence in research. The Postdoctoral Fellowships action targets researchers holding a PhD who wish to carry out their research activities abroad, acquire new skills and develop their careers. PFs help researchers gain experience in other countries, disciplines and non-academic sectors.
There are 2 subtypes: European Postdoctoral Fellowships (12 to 24 months of duration in Europe); and Global Postdoctoral Fellowships (12 to 24 months outside Europe –outgoing phase- plus 12 months in Europe - returning stage). The fellowship can be extended by up to 6 months placement at a company.
At the deadline for the submission of the final application to MSCA (expected to be in September 2022), researchers:
• Shall be in possession of a doctoral degree, applicants who have successfully defended their doctoral thesis but who have not yet formally been awarded the doctoral degree will also be considered eligible to apply
• Must not have resided or carried out their main activities in Belgium for more than 12 months in the 3 years immediately prior to the above-mentioned deadline.
• For European Postdoctoral Fellowships, candidates with any nationality are eligible. For Global Postdoctoral Fellowship, candidates must be nationals or long-term residents of the EU Member States or Horizon Europe Associated Countries
• Must have a maximum of eight years experience in research, from the date of the award of their PhD degree, years of experience outside research and career breaks will not count towards the above maximum, nor will years of experience in research in third countries, for nationals or long-term residents of EU Member States or Horizon Europe Associated Countries who wish to reintegrate to Europe
• Highly motivated and excellent research track record through publications in the relevant field
• Must be fluent in English (both written and spoken)
Improved living standards, rapid urbanization and the increasing population, have augmented the consumption of personal care products, pharmaceuticals, endocrine disruptors, pesticides, and several other synthetic organic compounds, leading to the widespread occurrence of organic micropollutants (OMPs) in water bodies. Although OMPs are present in water bodies at trace concentrations ranging from ng L-1 to μg L-1 , the persistence of these pollutants pose major health and environmental threats. The European Union (EU) and the United States Environmental Protection Agency (USEPA) have recognized the severity and enforced strict regulations on the OMP discharge. The conventional wastewater treatment plants are not capable of completely eliminating OMPs at low concentrations. Therefore, advanced treatment processes involving membranes, catalysts, etc., have been studied extensively for the removal of OMPs from water. Nevertheless, there are several limitations yet to be tackled.
Are you interested in water treatment, and tackling the challenges due to contaminants of emerging concern? Do you have a solid background in water treatment during your PhD? Then let’s work together to solve this issue.
EU supports for the recruited researcher in the form of
- A living allowance
- A mobility allowance
- If applicable, family, long-term leave and special needs allowances
- Research, training and networking activities
- Management and indirect costs
- Gross salary of about € 60,000 (depending on family status)
KU Leuven supports the recruited researcher with
- Personalised support in research proposal writing and application
- State of the art research infrastructure
How to apply
Are you interested in tackling one or more challenges mentioned in the project description, please send your application to Prof. Veerle Vandeginste (email@example.com ), including your CV, letter of motivation and a short research proposal (max. 3 pages) before 23 May 2022. Please write “MSCA-PF application” as the subject of the email. The deadline for the MSCA Postdoctoral Fellowship application is expected to be in September 2022.
Ph D Position To Study Neural Circuits Of Sensory Selection, VIB, Belgium, about 7 hours ago
PhD student position in the Vision-to-Action Laboratory will be supervised by Asli Ayaz and Vincent Bonin, at Neuro-Electronics Research Flanders in Leuven, Belgium, (NERF, www.nerf.be). Descripti...
Ph D Scholarship µflow Cell, Vrije Universiteit Brussel, Belgium, about 2 hours ago
The Faculty of Engineering, Department Chemische ingenieurstechnieken en industriële scheikunde, is looking for a PhD-student with a doctoral grant. More concretely your work package, for the prep...
Ph D Studentship On Cancer Immunology & Immunotherapy, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Belgium, 20 days ago
(ref. BAP-2022-556) Laatst aangepast : 18/07/2022 The Laboratory for Cell Stress & Immunity, at KU Leuven, Belgium seeks a highly motivated PhD student Broad Research Topic: Next-generation immune...
Ph D Position In Heterogeneous Catalysis For Co2 Conversion, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Belgium, about 18 hours ago
(ref. BAP-2022-607) Laatst aangepast : 12/08/2022 KU Leuven is highly innovative, stimulating, and unique place to do research. According to Reuters, KU Leuven is N°5 on the 'Reuters Top 100: The...
Ph D Position In Optical Oxygen Mapping In Porous Biomaterials, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Belgium, 7 days ago
(ref. BAP-2022-594) Laatst aangepast : 8/08/2022 The MeBioS Biophotonics group at the KU Leuven Department of Biosystems investigates the physical properties of biological materials to develop new...
Ph D Student, Ghent University, Belgium, about 20 hours ago
Job description PhD position in the CANOPI project – Upscaling/Remote-Sensing work package Employer : Liege University Location : Gembloux, Belgium Given the rapid changes in climate, immense shif...