Description of the host institution and research group
Are you a (post)doctoral researcher thinking about your next career move? KU Leuven – Europe’s most innovative university (Reuters) - allows you to work in a first-class research environment. KU Leuven is one of the top universities (45th ) in the world according to the 2021 “Times Higher Education ” ranking and ranked 7th (1st in Europe) in the 2019 “World’s Most Innovative Universities ” ranking by Reuters.
The research group innovation in sustainable materials and resources (iR) led by prof. Veerle Vandeginste is based in the beautiful city of Brugge (west Belgium). Our focus is on the development of new materials with advanced or smart properties for various applications (coatings, green energy, carbon capture, water purification, wearable electronics, etc.). Prof. Vandeginste has been an independent research fellow at Imperial College London (one of the top 10 universities in the world) and later an assistant professor and then associate professor of chemistry at the University of Nottingham, UK (with multimillion project funding from European Commission, UK research councils and industry).
MSCA postdoctoral fellowship
Postdoctoral fellowship (PFs) is the new initiative of Marie Skłodowska-Curie Actions (formerly individual fellowship) from the European Commission. The objective of PFs is to support researchers’ careers and foster excellence in research. The Postdoctoral Fellowships action targets researchers holding a PhD who wish to carry out their research activities abroad, acquire new skills and develop their careers. PFs help researchers gain experience in other countries, disciplines and non-academic sectors.
There are 2 subtypes: European Postdoctoral Fellowships (12 to 24 months of duration in Europe); and Global Postdoctoral Fellowships (12 to 24 months outside Europe –outgoing phase- plus 12 months in Europe - returning stage).
At the deadline for the submission of the final application to MSCA (expected to be in October 2021), researchers:
• Shall be in possession of a doctoral degree, applicants who have successfully defended their doctoral thesis but who have not yet formally been awarded the doctoral degree will also be considered eligible to apply
• Must not have resided or carried out their main activities in Belgium for more than 12 months in the 3 years immediately prior to the above-mentioned deadline.
• For European Postdoctoral Fellowships, candidates with any nationality are eligible. For Global Postdoctoral Fellowship, candidates must be nationals or long-term residents of the EU Member States or Horizon Europe Associated Countries
• Must have a maximum of eight years experience in research, from the date of the award of their PhD degree, years of experience outside research and career breaks will not count towards the above maximum, nor will years of experience in research in third countries, for nationals or long-term residents of EU Member States or Horizon Europe Associated Countries who wish to reintegrate to Europe
• Highly motivated and excellent research track record through publications in the relevant field
• Must be fluent in English (both written and spoken)
Smart or multifunctional polymeric coatings combined with self-healing capabilities are of great interest for several applications. Self-healing coatings can be used for metal corrosion protection through stimuli responsive polymer composites system. Self-healing coatings can be used as a thermal barrier, water-resistant layer, oxidation-resistance layer, superhydrophobic and antifogging layer, etc. Self-healing coatings on battery components have improved the performance and lifetime of a variety of batteries. However, research trends show that the main focus has mostly been on the anticorrosion self-healing coatings. In this project, we want to explore the possibility of multifunctional (i.e, anti-bacterial, superhydrophobic, corrosion resistant, light tolerant, long-lasting …) self-healing coatings for paint application. Nevertheless, we welcome any original idea for developing multifunctional polymeric coatings combined with self-healing capabilities.
EU supports for the recruited researcher in the form of
- A living allowance
- A mobility allowance
- If applicable, family, long-term leave and special needs allowances
- Research, training and networking activities
- Management and indirect costs
- Gross salary of about € 60,000 (depending on family status)
KU Leuven supports the recruited researcher with
- Personalised support in research proposal writing and application
- State of the art research infrastructure
How to apply
Are you interested in tackling one or more challenges mentioned in the project description, please send your application to Prof. Veerle Vandeginste (firstname.lastname@example.org ), including your CV, letter of motivation and a short research proposal (max. 3 pages) before 22 June 2021. Please write “MSCA-PF application” as the subject of the email. The deadline for the MSCA Postdoctoral Fellowship application is expected to be in October 2021.
Ph D Candidate At The School For Oncology And Developmental Biology, Department Of Imaging, Maastricht University (UM), Netherlands, 7 days ago
Maastricht University Medical Center+ (The Netherlands) The radiology department of the Maastricht University Medical Center+ (MUMC+) comprises all applications of medical imaging for patient care...
Two Postdoctoral Positions In Natural Language Understanding, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Belgium, about 11 hours ago
(ref. BAP-2021-621) Laatst aangepast : 26/07/2021 We plan to hire two postdoctoral researchers on the topic of natural language understanding at the Department of Computer Science at KU Leuven, Be...
Postdoc Positions Erc Advanced Grant E Duality, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Belgium, 23 days ago
(ref. BAP-2021-572) Laatst aangepast : 6/07/2021 The research group KU Leuven ESAT-STADIUS is currently offering 2 Postdoc (1 year, extendable) positions within the framework of the ERC (European ...
Ph D Position On Assessing The Value Of – Open Data (Msca Itn Odeco), Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Belgium, 2 days ago
The EU Horizon 2020 Marie Sklodowska Curie ITN project ‘ODECO: Towards a Sustainable Open Data ECOsystem’ (see www.odeco-research.eu) is a four-year project involving 15 PhD projects covering each...
Vacancy For A Fulltime Ph D Project On East West Migration & Heritage In The Low Countries (1933 1989), Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Belgium, about 12 hours ago
This project aims to analyze how Eastern European émigrés affected the local communities in the Low Countries they joined and what influence they had on social movements, civil society and communi...
Joint Ph D Position Single Cell Regulatory Genomics In Utrecht & Leuven, VIB, Belgium, 2 days ago
Description The Laboratory of Computational Biology at the University of Leuven (Belgium) and the Quantitative Biology group at the University of Utrecht and Hubrecht Institute (Netherlands) are s...