Description of the host institution and research group
Are you a (post)doctoral researcher thinking about your next career move? KU Leuven – Europe’s most innovative university (Reuters) - allows you to work in a first-class research environment. KU Leuven is one of the top universities (45th ) in the world according to the 2021 “Times Higher Education ” ranking and ranked 7th (1st in Europe) in the 2019 “World’s Most Innovative Universities ” ranking by Reuters.
The research group innovation in sustainable materials and resources (iR) led by prof. Veerle Vandeginste is based in the beautiful city of Brugge (west Belgium). Our focus is on the development of new materials with advanced or smart properties for various applications (coatings, green energy, carbon capture, water purification, wearable electronics, etc.). Prof. Vandeginste has been an independent research fellow at Imperial College London (one of the top 10 universities in the world) and later an assistant professor and then associate professor of chemistry at the University of Nottingham, UK (with multimillion project funding from European Commission, UK research councils and industry).
MSCA postdoctoral fellowship
Postdoctoral fellowship (PFs) is the new initiative of Marie Skłodowska-Curie Actions (formerly individual fellowship) from the European Commission. The objective of PFs is to support researchers’ careers and foster excellence in research. The Postdoctoral Fellowships action targets researchers holding a PhD who wish to carry out their research activities abroad, acquire new skills and develop their careers. PFs help researchers gain experience in other countries, disciplines and non-academic sectors.
There are 2 subtypes: European Postdoctoral Fellowships (12 to 24 months of duration in Europe); and Global Postdoctoral Fellowships (12 to 24 months outside Europe –outgoing phase- plus 12 months in Europe - returning stage).
At the deadline for the submission of the final application to MSCA (expected to be in October 2021), researchers:
• Shall be in possession of a doctoral degree, applicants who have successfully defended their doctoral thesis but who have not yet formally been awarded the doctoral degree will also be considered eligible to apply
• Must not have resided or carried out their main activities in Belgium for more than 12 months in the 3 years immediately prior to the above-mentioned deadline.
• For European Postdoctoral Fellowships, candidates with any nationality- are eligible. For Global Postdoctoral Fellowship, candidates must be nationals or long-term residents of the EU Member States or Horizon Europe Associated Countries
• Must have a maximum of eight years experience in research, from the date of the award of their PhD degree, years of experience outside research and career breaks will not count towards the above maximum, nor will years of experience in research in third countries, for nationals or long-term residents of EU Member States or Horizon Europe Associated Countries who wish to reintegrate to Europe
• Highly motivated and excellent research track record through publications in the relevant field
• Must be fluent in English (both written and spoken)
Self-powered wearable electronic devices will be one of the prominent technologies in the near future. The recent developments in microelectromechanical systems and miniaturisation of electronic devices have made the power demands in the range of mili (mW) to micro (µW) Watt level. The human body is an excellent source of thermal energy, which can be converted to electrical power using a proper energy conversion system. Thermoelectric generators converting body heat to power are developed by several research groups. Still, there are several challenges that need to be tackled before successful implementation of this technology. These challenges include the cost of materials/manufacturing, rigidity, low thermal resistance, recyclability, etc. Are you interested in tackling one or more of these challenges? Then, let’s work together.
EU supports for the recruited researcher in the form of
- A living allowance
- A mobility allowance
- If applicable, family, long-term leave and special needs allowances
- Research, training and networking activities
- Management and indirect costs
- Gross salary of about € 60,000 (depending on family status)
KU Leuven supports the recruited researcher with
- Personalised support in research proposal writing and application
- State of the art research infrastructure
How to apply
Are you interested in tackling one or more challenges mentioned in the project description, please send your application to Prof. Veerle Vandeginste (firstname.lastname@example.org ), including your CV, letter of motivation and a short research proposal (max. 3 pages) before 20 June 2021. Please write “MSCA-PF application” as the subject of the email. The deadline for the MSCA Postdoctoral Fellowship application is expected to be in October 2021.
Ph D Position On Structure Property Relationships In Functionalized Polymers, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Belgium, 27 days ago
(ref. BAP-2021-542) Laatst aangepast : 28/06/2021 KU Leuven, located in Belgium, is among the top European universities, ranked as the top university in the Reuters ranking of Europe's most innova...
Two Postdoctoral Positions In Natural Language Understanding, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Belgium, about 17 hours ago
(ref. BAP-2021-621) Laatst aangepast : 26/07/2021 We plan to hire two postdoctoral researchers on the topic of natural language understanding at the Department of Computer Science at KU Leuven, Be...
Ph D Candidate At The School For Oncology And Developmental Biology, Department Of Imaging, Maastricht University (UM), Netherlands, 6 days ago
Maastricht University Medical Center+ (The Netherlands) The radiology department of the Maastricht University Medical Center+ (MUMC+) comprises all applications of medical imaging for patient care...
Postdoc Positions Erc Advanced Grant E Duality, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Belgium, 22 days ago
(ref. BAP-2021-572) Laatst aangepast : 6/07/2021 The research group KU Leuven ESAT-STADIUS is currently offering 2 Postdoc (1 year, extendable) positions within the framework of the ERC (European ...
Joint Ph D Position Single Cell Regulatory Genomics In Utrecht & Leuven, VIB, Belgium, 1 day ago
Description The Laboratory of Computational Biology at the University of Leuven (Belgium) and the Quantitative Biology group at the University of Utrecht and Hubrecht Institute (Netherlands) are s...
Ph D Position In Angiogenesis And Vascular Heterogeneity, VIB, Belgium, 1 day ago
Background: the science The laboratory of Professor Peter Carmeliet is part of the Center for Cancer Biology (CCB), one of the research departments of VIB (Flanders Institute for Biotechnology) lo...